Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:54:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 466
Total: 468

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: info on window period for different hiv test  (Read 7541 times)

Offline tham0072

info on window period for different hiv test
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:56 am »
Quote from: Andy Velez on August 12, 2008, 08:56:04 am from http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22512
The kind of contact you had with secretions is NOT the same as occurs during vaginal or anal intercourse. As I said previously, HIV is a fragile virus. We know from years of experience in the epidemic that touching, rubbing, mutual masturbation and such do not present a risk for transmission. (Read the less on Transmission for further details. There's a link to it in the Weldcome thread which opens this section.)

Not incidentally, the vaginal secretions which might carry HIV are in the cervical area, far up from the area you were dillydallying with during this incident.

File, what this is really about is guilt over having strayed. Your symptoms may as easily be from stress. If they persist then check them out with your doctor. They absolutely are nothing HIV-specific. That's no surprise since you didn't have a risk.

As for the guilt part, you're just a dawg like a lot of others here. You went straying and you can't undo that bit of your personal history. Accept, take a breath and let it go. It's not a tribute yourself to be beating yourself up nor one to your wife. Let it go and get on with your life. Really.

This is NOT an HIV situation.

Cheers, 

Hi Andy, from what i know, vaginal secretions do contain hiv virus...okay. mayb his was like 10 seconds...but if it were longer?

what is it about the virus is found in secretion from the cervical area. so fluids at the clit are from another place? are u able to educate me on this?

im pretty curious about this.

edit:

quoted from http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Transmission_9962.shtml

'Researchers have consistently found that HIV can be transmitted via blood, semen, and vaginal secretions. It is also true that HIV has been detected in saliva, tears, and urine. However, HIV in these fluids is only found in extremely low concentrations. What's more, there hasn't been a single case of HIV transmission through these fluids reported to the CDC.'

i suppose those in bold are referring to saliva, tears and urine.

vaginal secretions are still riskier and do not belong to the "low concerntation" list. am i right to say this?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: clarification
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:57 am »
tham,

As long as you're using condoms for vaginal (or anal) intercourse, you don't need to worry about vaginal secretions. Fingering is not a risk. Going down on a woman is not a risk. The only REAL risk is putting your penis into a vagina without a condom covering your penis.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Really!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tham0072

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 10:46:02 am »
thanks ann. i would like to know where i can find a forum about other STIs?

i remember reading abou herpes saying that there might be tingling sensation...i had that in my anus and i had anal rimming done.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:00:03 am »
Try this site for starters: http://www.ashastd.org./

You can also Google sexually transmitted diseases and herpes in particular and see what comes up.
Andy Velez

Offline tham0072

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 02:24:07 am »
Hello Mello, welcome to the forums. :)

Seroconversion is the name for the process the body goes through when producing antibodies, in this case, antibodies for hiv. To break the word down, sero means blood, as in "serum", and conversion means change. The blood changes from testing hiv-antibody negative to hiv-antibody positive.

With hiv, this typically begins to happen around two weeks after the virus has entered the body. The average time for enough antibodies to be produced in order to be detected on an ELISA (hiv antibody) test is 22 days. The vast majority of people who have been infected will produce enough antibodies to be detected by six weeks after the introduction of the virus into the body.

When the body makes antibodies, certain chemicals are produced that can cause a person to feel like they have the flu. It isn't actually the virus itself that causes the illness, but rather the body's reaction to the presence of the virus.

NOT ALL PEOPLE experience any symptoms of seroconversion. I know far more positive people who never noticed any symptoms than people who felt ill.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you. If you have any additional questions, don't be shy - ask.

Ann

PS - an antibody is a protein produced by a specific type of white blood cell. The immune system uses antibodies to recognise and fight against foreign invaders into the body - such as a bacteria or virus.
hi ann, so does this mean that after all the "symptoms" subside, a rapid test will be more accurate compared to when we take one with the "symptoms" still lingering?

im at 3 weeks from my exposure..i feel much much better and most symptoms  have subsided...can i take the test in a couple of days?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:08:19 am »
Tham,

I removed the post (above) you made to a thread in another forum. You are NOT permitted to post anywhere except for here, in your own thread. You'd know this if you'd bothered to read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're SUPPOSED to. Do NOT post anywhere but in your own thread. If you do, you risk being banned. This has been explained to you before now. Get with the program!

You only need to test if you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. You do NOT need to test over fingering or going down on a woman.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tham0072

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:44:26 am »
hi ann, sorry about it....still not used to the rules here..

i felt that i seroconverted two days back...my whole body was aching and getting chills plus fatigue....and then the next day...im all okay...like suddenly. my rash is gone..i start to be able to swalllow stuff now..

i think i will take the test tmr @ 3.5 weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:49:10 am »
Tham,

Do what you want as far as testing goes, just don't be surprised when you get a negative result. You had NO RISK.

You won't be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about this no risk stuff. Make sure you READ those posting guidelines. They're very simple and straightforward.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tham0072

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:55:50 am »
Tham,

Do what you want as far as testing goes, just don't be surprised when you get a negative result. You had NO RISK.

You won't be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about this no risk stuff. Make sure you READ those posting guidelines. They're very simple and straightforward.

Ann

ok i will update accordingly. im so worried because these symptoms have never appeared before in my life and they jus magically disappeared in two weeks.

also, as above, Andy did not answer my question about vaginal secretions.

PLUS, if u believe in fortune tellling, many different fortune tellers have been telling me that i will have a disease. oh well....will test next week and see hw it goes...im so scared coz i cannot hide these from my parents as i still need their financial support.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:37:44 am »
I believe in ffortune tellers and this is the reading I got for you.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline tham0072

info on window period for different hiv test
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 01:15:06 pm »
hi, where i am from, testing is usually using rapid test instead of the elisa.

so i would like to make it known to everyone the respective window periods for different types of test.

here is the pdf  file for u to look at.

http://www.hivguidelines.org/admin/files/other/hot%20topics/HIVtestingchart.pdf

Offline RapidRod

Re: info on window period for different hiv test
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 02:30:38 pm »
Read the posting guidelines like you were suppose to do before you ever began posting in this forum.

Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

NOTE:
If initial HIV test is negative, an antibody test should be obtained again at 3 months. If at 3 months the test is negative and no high-risk behavior has
taken place in the prior 3 months, patient is HIV negative.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:57:15 pm by RapidRod »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 05:17:49 pm »
Tham

I have merged your threads so please keep all your questions in this thread from now on...thank you.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:16 am »
Tham,

Rapid tests ARE ELISAs.

You didn't have a risk. You don't need to test.

If you don't start abiding by our posting guidelines like you've been repeatedly asked to, you will find yourself banned. I won't warn you again.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tham0072

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 07:25:40 am »
just an update in my own thread....
day 40 after exposure...rapid blood test is negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 07:43:50 am »
That's good but it's no surprise to us since you weren't at risk.

Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline tham0072

Re: Worried high risk exposure. tested 2month neg.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 02:33:41 am »
hi i know im not supposed to answer in your thread...but i still will go ahead.

i too tested negative at the eight week mark.im still waiting for another 2.5 weeks b4 i hit the 12th week. i dunno how the system in your country is, but if they refuse to do the test for you, i feel that you should go to some other clinic, mayb private or other anonymous clinics to do the test at the 12 week mark. i believe only then you will be able to put your mind at ease. don't go back to that clinic, find some others that will provide the test.

you can just lie that it is a new exposure...who will know?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Worried high risk exposure. tested 2month neg.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 02:37:06 am »

i too tested negative at the eight week mark.im still waiting for another 2.5 weeks b4 i hit the 12th week. i dunno how the system in your country is, but if they refuse to do the test for you, i feel that you should go to some other clinic, mayb private or other anonymous clinics to do the test at the 12 week mark. i believe only then you will be able to put your mind at ease. don't go back to that clinic, find some others that will provide the test.

you can just lie that it is a new exposure...who will know?

Good, so you when you are banned for violating the posting guidelines of this forum you won't have nothing to cry about. MOVE ON...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:00 am »
Tham,

You've been warned several times now about abiding by our posting guidelines and on January 19th, I told you I wouldn't warn you again before banning you.

You're banned.

And for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, we would NEVER advocate lying in order to obtain an hiv test. 

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.