Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:04:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 279
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 275
Total: 275

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Olive Oil health benefits anti-inflammatory are important for gut on haart?  (Read 12254 times)

Offline bimazek

Olive Oil

There is much scientific literature about the inflammation of the gut in hiv even on haart.
There are papers scientific literature already suggesting anti-inflammatory meds to reduce this chronic inflammation.

numerous hiv people told me that they use olive oil both externally and on food and even drinking it.
so i decided to investigate, olive oil is an anti inflammatory.  Is there any scientific basis for this????
Here is what i found.

anti inflammatories are important for gut on haart .. this post has the science details

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=7907.0

Cell membranes  comprised of uniformly configured fatty acid chains  linked  through tight chemical bonds. When bad trans fat works its way into the chains, it alters these bonds and creates "leaks" in the cell membrane. This action upsets the flow of nutrients and waste products into and out of the cell and may be linked to reduced immune function and possibly cancer.

Olive oil does the opposite was taken by mouth, spread on the skin, and dropped into the  nose. People considered it both a cure and a preventative measure for many afflictions.  popular folk remedies :

* to treat an upset stomach, digestion, or constipation
    * Apply to skin to prevent dryness  to soften the skin, and to treat acne.
    * Use on the hair treat dandruff.
    * Ease aching muscles
    * nasal congestion with drops of olive oil in the nose.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/the-health-benefits-of-olive-oil-ga1.htm

olive oil may help with heart disease, hypertension (high blood pressure), metabolic syndrome, inflammation, cancer, diabetes, and problems associated with obesity.

There are two important fats that are essential for human health,  two are alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid, and linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. The body gets both from olive oil.

Omega-3 oils are the healthiest. They are part of a group of substances called prostaglandins that help keep blood cells from sticking together, increase blood flow, and reduce inflammation. This makes omega-3 oils useful in preventing cardiovascular disease as well as inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis.

decrease the amount of animal fats you eat.

Inflammation Benefits From Olive Oil

Inflammation within the body may occur this is where olive oil helps. Olive oil's phytonutrients -- in this case phenolic compounds called squalene, beta-sitosterol, and tyrosol

Inflammation is the immune system's defense against injury and infection. in hiv even on haart it is a chronic inflammation especially in the gut, When an injury occurs, such as a simple cut on the finger, a set of events takes place within your body that forms a blood clot, fights infection, and begins the healing process.  this process is in constant occurance in hiv even on haart in the gut.

Chronic inflammation can damage internal organs.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/the-health-benefits-of-olive-oil-ga3.htm
Inflammation .. blood vessels dilate upstream of the injury to bring more blood and nutrients to the injured area, but they constrict at the injury site. fluids from the bloodstream pooling  around injury,  swelling and pressure that stimulate nerves and cause pain.

When inflammation continues  long periods of time, damage can occur in organs, such as the colon, chronic inflammation within the body is looking more and more like a serious contributor to cardiovascular (heart and blood vessel) disease. Inflammation may heart attack or stroke

Scientists have discovered that inflammation can be reduced with low daily doses of aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which in turn appear to reduce the risk of diseases caused by inflammation.

An article by Philadelphia researchers in the Sept 2005 issue of Nature identified in olive oil called oleocanthal that has anti-inflammatory action. compound can act like ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatory medications.

Olive oil can help prevent cancer.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/the-health-benefits-of-olive-oil-ga4.htm
controversy regarding whether olive oil can play any part in helping to prevent breast cancer, but women who follow a Mediterranean-style diet appear to have a lower risk of the disease.

also with the new discovery of the emerin protein/gene... and the fact that it is the same gene that hiv needs to insert and that blocking this gene stops hiv from inserting... perhaps the recommendations for Muscular+dystrophy which has been around along time may help with this insertion

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=8475.msg101388#msg101388

olive oil recommended Use healthy cooking oils, such as olive oil ... is recommended to
help keep this bad gene from getting triggered... that is how i read this information

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Muscular+dystrophy+olive+oil&spell=1

8000 articles in science literature on olive oil health benefits

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=olive+oil+health+benefits&hl=en&lr=&btnG=Search

olive+oil+anti-inflammatory

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=olive+oil+anti-inflammatory&btnG=Search

oh and i didnt even include in this
research
olive oil antioxidative effects ... this is another giant area of research

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=olive+oil+antioxidative+effects&btnG=Search

my bet is on olive oil to help with my over all health.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
Thanks for sharing all your research into holistic supplementation, bimazek. Very much appreciated. God Bless.
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline blondbeauty

Olive oil is the main oil used in Spain, Italy and Greece that happen to be the countries in which people live longer. The only grease I take with my salads or when I cook is olive oil and my cholesterol levels are fine. I never take any butter or any other animal grease except the one contained in meat, or cured cheese and ham. Milk and yogurts always 100% skimmed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 07:40:33 am by blondbeauty »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline ajm_ldn

Excellent post Bimazek!  I take olive leaf capsules and cook with olive oil.  I also take flax seed oil - 1 teaspoon with breakfast and dinner.  I stopped taking dispersable aspirin (small 75mg tablets that dissolve in water, to reduce chance of stomach upset), but I will start again after reading your post.  Thanks for the info. and reminder about tips for reducing inflammation.  :)

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
I know this thread is about olive oil but it does mention NSAIDS so i recall
i asked the experts a few months back about ibuprofen
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Archive/Thoughts/Q179322.html
here's what Doctor Wohl said
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:05:52 pm by antibody »
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Zanarkand

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Olive Oil

Besides for being absolutely irresistable!

Is Anti-Inflam <is used in some poison cases to prevent swelling and absorption of poisons>
Contains very little Saturating Fats
Possibly Lowers Cholestrol

The only thing about olive oil is to try not to heat it. Store it in the fridge even.
Good oils go bad when left in heat.
Try to FRY with butter or use higher temp oils like Grapeseed Oil where possible and use Olive Oil raw and unheated to get the most out of it.

Kent

<Edit>

I suppose that no matter what the case, this would be very benificial to your health  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:03:06 pm by Zanarkand »
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.