Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:58:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hurting & Grinding Hip Pain  (Read 7826 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Hurting & Grinding Hip Pain
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:32:09 am »
My hips hurt, I notice this every morning when I wake up and if I've been sitting for more than 30 min. even while driving  :-[

has anyone of you LTS, that are around my age or older experience any of this hip pain, I'll be seeing my ID doc after AUG when they move our clinic to a new location
this JUNE , hope this doesn't get any worse  ???

when I stand up I can feel both hips pop, and not in a good way  :(
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

Re: Hurting & Grinding Hip Pain
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:43:47 pm »
Dennis
Oh boy.

I have one hip that does this exactly the way you describe.   I think its arthritis (osteo arthritis) and possible inflamation, also it could be neuropathty but I hope not, so I take as much ibuprophen allowed.  But really....I have procrastinated talking about it with my doctor.  I know its going to involve x rays MRIs or whatever.

I stay away from doctors as much as possible.

Good luck

joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 04:02:55 pm »

:-[  Well I'll run that by my doctor, but she seems to be so dumb-founded when it comes to my aging issues
and how long I've been on Meds, she's only 28, and sometimes I feel like I a'm such a burden when it comes to non-HIV/AIDS issues  :-[

however she has been very good @ giving me the needed referrals , and she told me the last time I saw her she said  "your not a burden, your aging issues w/ HIV/AIDS are very REAL" 

and yes Joel, like you I hate getting MRIs, and X-rays and such, but I guess I'm gonna have to per-sue this  the next time I see she  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:45:30 pm »
I know its going to involve x rays MRIs or whatever.
I have a similar-ish problem with one shoulder especially (it's basically a joint problem all over) and it's not the x-rays, tests, and MRIs that I hate, it's the surgery that they want to do to me.  :o

arthritis (osteo arthritis) and possible inflamation, also it could be neuropathy
don't forget something else fun ::) and nearly undiagnosable - fibromyalgia ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:54:54 am »
Boy Dennis, you hit the nail with this one.

I take 750 mgs of Naproxen every day, or I did, for joint pain.

Mine seems to center in my knees and my back, which I guess isn't exactly a joint, but it still kills me.

I have had to cut back on the Naproxen though, too much for my stomach to handle.

So, when I see the doc next month, I will mention it.

But, I won't take meds that include a sedative quality, in other words, that make you drowsy. I can barely stay awake now.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:33:41 am »
Hey Dennis,

Sorry to hear about the hip pain.   The only time I experienced hip pain was in 2004, and this was shortly after Viread was added to my regimen. I am also not sure, if the viread was the culprit, but eventually the hip pain went away. I haven't been on viread since 10/09

At 60 years of age, I am fortunate to not have any hip problems, I have pretty good mobility ( at least at this point in my life) But I do have a left knee, that sounds likes popcorn popping, if it's moved just right, but it's currently not causing any pain or discomfort.

My partner, on the other hand ( HIV negative, also 60 years old) has been having some problems with his hips, but it's not a constant pain. Some days are worse than others.  He's convinced he has some sort of arthritis going on, but hasn't been diagnosed yet.

Your exercising daily aren't you??  Maybe it's time to cut back a little, or cut back on certain exercises, that may be aggravating this.  It's still something you need to discuss with your doctor.

Take care------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:11 am »
Mikie you just turned 50, so you have a ways to go before things go south , and 50 looks good on you, so enjoy it while it last young man  ;)

Mark, BINGO, I don't want to take any pain meds, like you I'm not a fan of them, hope THey have something better, if I need it, we'll see  :-[

Ray,  I have cut back on my exercising daily routine, I'll be 56 this fall 2012, however I still do wanna keep my upper body look, it took me yrs.
to get that to where I wanted it to be (and it's very hard work)  :D

and I also think that some of us age faster than others, don't know if it's how long you had HIV/AIDS or if it's all of the Meds I've ever taken, I'll see what my doctor has to say tho, and I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.....there was another thread about hip-pain, but it somehow eludes me  :-[

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:01:21 am »
Ok, nobody's mentioned this, though it's been brought up in threads a few times.  It's what affects my knees, though with most people it seems to affect their hips-avascular necrosis.  It's supposedly caused by long term HIV infection.  The last thread I posted in about this (sorry, too lazy to find it), the person had hip replacement surgery and seemed to be doing well.  This may be something else, Den, you talk with your doctor about.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
Thanks Betty  ;)  I heard of this before,  the LT HIV/AIDS Meds thingy, I sure hope this isn't the case , it might be tho I've been on Meds since AUG 87 non-stop without any drug holidays what-so-ever :-[

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »
Hello Dennis,

On Orkney many many off the65+ population who have had physical jobs , farming, fishing have lots off skeletal problems and hip replacement, knee work is very common.

I can quickly bring to mind 6 people who I have known who have had hip replacements all off them delighted with the outcome , it has changed my outlook on what I had consider pretty drastic intervent , seeing and being close to a couple off people and seeing just how delighted they are.

I am not saying you will need that just sharing what I observed up there and the huge difference made to there lives.

michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 04:53:57 pm »
Yeah I hear ya, I've had a lotta of them physical jobs throughout my life span ( no sitting on my ass doing easy peasy stuff )  ;)  Well here a little update on my hips..........hubby Bob went out & bought one of them
Sleep-Member-Beds, so the hips seem to be better than they were ( now only if I could fine my right Sleep number)  :D

HUGS

DENNIS in ABQ

Offline texray9999

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »
hi new to this forum but this one stuck out to me as ive gone thru it. im 45 now, but when i was on Truvada.., i was 39ish...and within one year of starting that particular medicine started having really bad symptoms in my hips as you have complained about. at that time i wasnt in a place that i could get decent medical care. so had to let it go for about a year. it just continually got worse, hurting , weakness...numbness in hip and leg. eventually i got back to a regular doctor and he almost immediately diagnosed it as Avascular Necrosis. i had an MRI done after xrays pretty much confirmed his initial diagnosis. unfortanetly it was exactly that and since ive had two hip replacements. it SUCKED. but its much better now. its a horrible thing to have to go thru at so young an age but it sure is alot better once you have them replaced. i contribute it to that particular medication. i sent a report to the drug maker and so have several others that i have known that were on it and had same problems. if you look it up now. like on say, PatientsLikeMe website and look up side effects of Truvada, i think you will find that listed now as a possible side effect. im on different meds now and doing really pretty good as far as my counts go. i am real leary about what i use to control the hiv now. i do my own investigations first before starting a new HAART. i just cant trust that these peeps arent giving me something thats going to screw me up worse while trying to treat my disease. anyway, ive found what i hope is a good combination that works for me and has minimal side effects....so far / pray. we really dont know what alot of this stuff will do long term. because no one has been on them really long term mostly i think. luckily, i do feel with good input back to the drug manufact.'s when you do find horrible side effects and report them we can make them accountable for the drugs they are putting on the market and hopefully they will work to make them more safer for us long term survivors. good luck guys . roger.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:32:47 pm by texray9999 »
Roger

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.