Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:59:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: question for Nick about Serostim (anyone elses experience great too!!)  (Read 14814 times)

Offline suzieque

Dear Nick,
        Hi. Was wondering why you started taking Serostim, and was your doctor supportive of this? I am interested in taking this myself as I am about to go on solely PI based meds, due to lipoatrophy, but have a bit of a 'hump'. Doc thinks it is because I was taking prednisilone in high doses for several weeks, and in fact my whole face and body did puff up. Was off meds for a year and only back on for 6 weeks now, so he felt it was too soon to begin to develop lipodystrophy. The rest of me has more or less deflated so hopefully he is right, however as I will be changing from Reyataz, Norvir booster, Epivir and Viread to just Reyataz, Norvir booster and Saquinavir and so would like to do whatever I can to prevent fat deposits from occurring. Thanks   :)

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
Re: question for Nick about Serostim (anyone elses experience great too!!)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:23:09 pm »
In just six weeks after a three year drug holiday I gained 60+ pounds. I was dieting and exercising and reyataz.
I keep reading about people having success with serostim. I used it for almost a year in mid to late 90s in attempt to reduce hump and other fat deposits. It did not work for me.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »
Hi , I started Serostim because of severe "wasting syndrome"   no matter how much I ate, supplements, vitamins etc I kept losing muscle mass......had already lost most fat because of Lipoatrophy...never had  hump but did/ do  have a "hard stomach"   ....
The Serostim was  once a day  for six days then skip one.....This was combined with planned exercise program at REHAB  facility and then at local gym with a trainer...managed to stop wasting ( took nearly a year) started to build up some "muscle"  ( not a gym body)  and was able to cut back the Serostim to 3X week  just before exercise at gym.....It works best with some form of real targeted exercise , it is not a magic shot   you have to persevere long enough to let it do its thing...This is actually HGH ( human growth hormone)  which you would produce naturally up to about age 20 when  your production slows down or stops.....varies significantly for people...  None of the "oral" HGH stuff works, only the injected pure stuff works....
I still have much of the Lypo syndrome, but have gained some useful muscle definition...I have been involved with a Sculptra study and this has restored much of my face....rest of me has virtually no subcutaneous fat  ( nurses love it ..they can pick any vein without trying )

I know this syndrome varies for everyone but so far my experience with Serostim has been very positive.
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline suzieque

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:47 am »

Thank you both for responding. Here I go again on ANOTHER combo!! Wish me luck!! :)

Offline suzieque

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:21:22 am »

Dear Nick,
             Gonna talk to my doc about Serostim, could I ask how much you take? I know you said how often you take it but I am curious as I have heard different things about dosage. Are the levels monitored by blood tests?
               Thanks again,
                        Suzie

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 07:36:13 pm »
Hi Suzi...  The Serostim comes in 7 dose packets ( little vials you mix one at a time) I use one dose of the seven ... that consists of a 6mg dose mixed with 1ml sterile water (part of kit) and injected subcutaneously with the smallest needle you can find  ( I use 1/2 in  30G )
I use it before going to the gym/ vigorous exercise  about 3X/ wk , always leave at least one day between exercise periods( usually take  1.5 to 2 mile walk on in between days)  and try to have some high protein drink right after exercise to replenish/ rebuild muscle.

Many times walk I every day even "exercise day" , especially good if you have a dog, will do you both good

If you have good insurance they will pay for this..if not, it is a very expensive item....I am blessed with great coverage......hope you are as well.

The monitoring is part of the usual draws every three months...mostly checking on liver  and kidney functions
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:38:37 pm by pozniceguy »

Offline pozatlguy

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 08:03:08 pm »
Here is my experience with Serostim. 

I was on a ARCA study for 9 months with Serostim more then two years ago.  It was a blind study but I knew right away that I had the real thing and not the placebo. This was over two years ago now so I'm trying to remember the dosage but I think it was 6mg.  I would take a shot everyother day and keep a diary of any side effects.  The biggest one for me was that I swelled up.  My face, hands and legs for the most part.  They do warn you that it can cause you to have carpel tunnel due to the pressure on the nerves in your wrists. 

I would take a shot at night before bed (very very tiny needle), so when I would wake up the next day generally my hands and legs would swell.  During the day at work I sat at a computer I would take my shoes off because my feet would swell at times pretty bad.  It never got to the point where they had to lower the dosage, I'm pretty tolerent to discomfort and pain so I didn't usually make a huge deal out of it.  Anyway this study went on for 9 months with every 3 months a change up, can't remember exactly what it was but a little different .. dosage or days I took shots.   The lower dosage at the 3 month change up did help a lot with the swelling issue for me.

It also included CAT and bone density scans.  I think I did a total of 4 each over the course of the 9 months, yeah I got nuked quite a bit.  There were physiological profile tests as well as to how you were generally feeling.  They included questions about your body image and if you saw improvements in yourself or not.  Probably about 6 of those tests.

OK the important stuff, this is what I think it did to my body........

I gained weight but it turned out to be mostly water, it didn't stay around.  My reg weight normally 168, It shot up to about a high of 185.  That was a lot for me considering my weight is always the same no matter what I eat. 

It definitely got rid of the fat on my belly, by the end of the study I had a hard time trying to find fat to pinch in order to inject the Serostim into.  You had to inject it into fat either on thighs, or stomach.  My thighs have no fat so I could only use my stomach area.  At first it was easy finding fat to pinch but as time went on I ended up with such a flat stomach.  I couldn't find a lot of fat and would be injecting into some muscle which hurt a bit.  But when I took my shirt off at the pool or a dance club I really got a lot of attention, well worth the pain  :P.  Of course I have always worked out but this got rid of any love handles or hard to work out pockets of fat.  I ended up with the 6 pack that I had always hoped to have one day.  Now don't get to excited as it is gone now  :'( 

The down side to this day is that I felt that it took away fat in my arms/hands.  The forearm area especially.  To this day I can at times see pronounced veins which I could not remember having before and the area is much thinner.  My hands look a bit wrinkled now and thinner almost like a balloon when you let some air out of them.  My legs when they swelled up looked great, as I have Lipo worst in that area.  The swelling hid the veins in my legs and made them look fuller, other then that I don't feel my legs improved or got worse.  Today they seem the same as before with no difference either way. 

My face and neck swelled up the least of any area.  They went back to the size they were before for the most part.  Thou sometimes I look in the mirror and think that they are a bit chubby for the proportion of the rest of my body.  It could be all in my head.  My friends say that I look fine, either out of kindness or maybe they are just telling me the truth. 

I always did want to find out the results from all of the scans just for myself but that was not possible individually, all the data would go into the group study and would be combined to the final results. 

Anyway do I think it was worth doing it?  For me I had no big belly or hump issues to begin with, I joined the study just to help out and contribute in some small way.  I heard at the time that it was an extremely expensive drug so knowing that, I would not have been able to afford to have been on it other then this way.  While I was on it I really did look lean and buff but like the person mentioned above you have to get in the gym and also watch your diet to get all the benefits which I did.

But overall I would yes it was worth doing for me. 

They have since called me back again for another study about 6 months ago.  It would be the same study but on a lower dosage thoughout the study.  I didn't qualify due to my waist size not being large enough, I'm a 31-32"w, I think they were looking for at least 37"w.  I still am overall trim considering I'm 44 years old and maintain my same weight over the last 5+ years and to this day that hasn't changed much.   

If your reason to do this is to get ride of a CRIX belly or a buffalo hump then I say go for it!  I think you will see some good results.  I know this because of the others in the group that did have those issues, they did see improvements.   Otherwise I don't think most people would want to take this drug or really get a permanent benefit from it.  I've read most fat comes back but I think if you continue to exercise and watch your diet/weight you should be in better shape then prior to the treatment.  That has been the case for me for the most part.

Hope this was a little helpful.  Again this is my experience your results could be very different.  As everyone knows each of our bodies reacts to treatments differently.

Best of luck.
-F

HIV + since June 1990, probably got infected 6 months before.
Viramune/Epzicom
9/06 - CD4 720, VL <50, 33.6%
12/13 - CD4 608,  VL <50, 33.8%

Offline Texgymrat

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 05:40:29 pm »
I took serostim over 3 years ago. My doctor prescribed due to wasting around my temples.  The results were great.  I had always worked out and was in good shape before taking it.  Serostim took my body to the next level.  Bigger arms, legs and chest and tighter stomach...almost what  I imagined steroids would do but not obnoxiously so and with the only side effect being some of the swelling mentioned in another post.  It is so long ago that I forgot the dosage but believe I did it for 8 weeks. I continue to workout and have been able to maintain my arms, legs and chest.  The stomach is not as tight but ok---attribute that to bad diet more than anything.  I liked the results and would not hesitate to do it again if needed.

Offline bobino

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:51:10 am »

But did this help the wasting in your temples?
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Texgymrat

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:09:42 pm »
It did slightly help my temples.  My doctor seemed to notice the change.  In my opinion though it did not last...my temples are pretty hollow again.

Offline panda

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 03:36:29 am »
Hi, I would like to lnow if Serostim can be usefull for female as well. I wrote here about good results but the question is if it can be usefull gfor woman as well???

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 12:42:24 pm »
I don't know if there is a difference between male/female  HGH ( human growth hormone)  but I would think that it should be very similar..since both sexes seem to generate "growth" at about the same time just in slightly different ways...I would definitely consult with a good Dr  before attempting any of this stuff...It is expensive and very controlled...even the best insurance requires a special authorization and complete DR documentation....

Offline panda

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 01:34:27 pm »
what do u mean by "very expensive" do u have estimated rate? if it will help me kooked human again i will pay every amount ...i look like a shadow, my self confidnce is the lowest as can be... i see pictures of me before started the drugs and i start to cry, so ok , i wont be the same but just at least to have something on my bony leggs and not just skin.. i definitely want to try it after i read about it here with good results.. is it limited for a period of time?

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 09:53:29 am »
IF YOU CAN GET YOUR DOCTOR TO PRESCRIBE SEROSTIM AND IF YOUR INSURANCE APPROVES IT ,THEN IT SOULD COST YOU ABOUT 40.00 PER MONTH.THE BATTLE IS GETTING YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TO APPROVE IT!!!

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 03:10:46 pm »
I agree with Armando...The Dr prescription is not too hard..just let  him/her know that you want to try it...the insurance is another story..I have never been refused any med  or treatment by my insurance ...but they did contact Dr and exchange several faxes before agreeing to this ...very expensive....costs them nearly $10,000 per month if you use every day.....once approved I have no problem renewing prescription every year...

Offline panda

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 06:50:31 pm »
hi, are you taking the serostin every day and for how long? also what is the difference between serostim and Th9507?

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 07:38:59 pm »
panda, I take the serostim every second day..just before going to Gym....actually only 3 times a week skip weekends....
I can't answer exactly  about the differences between the two....I know Serostim has been around a long time and has a very large collection of users that have used it for  encouraging growth in undersized children to abusers who are known as "juicers" in the gym to build muscles  plus the people like me who use it just to keep from losing what little muscle I have ...  I am anxious to see if the new stuff proves out and what it costs....
Nick

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.