Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: long term side effects of HAART  (Read 8032 times)

Offline badluck

long term side effects of HAART
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:42 am »

Hello

What is the long term side effects of HAART treatmeant ? and what we mean by long term side effects (2 years , 5 years , 10 years , 15 years) what i can do to prevent the side effects?

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: long term side effects of HAART
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:26:11 am »
That's a bit of a puzzle.  If the answer were well known, your doctor would tell you to do it.  And it pretty clearly would depend on your specific meds and your genetics, and dietary and other habits.

Much of what you will read and hear about long term effects is about the effects of long term untreated HIV infection.  For instance, premature aging has been linked to inflammation, which is caused by your body trying to battle HIV on its own.  Getting to an undetectable viral load by taking your drugs consistently is probably the best step you can take to battle that.  Other long term effects are due to drugs that were withdrawn from the market because of their bad long term effect (such as Zerit).  You don't face those long term effects, because those drugs aren't used for you.

Other than that, for the drugs you are on, getting a good healthy diet and plenty of exercise is helpful.  You should get both aerobic exercise (to help with any tendency for increased cholesterol due to the drugs) and weight-bearing exercise (to help offset any potential for weaker bones due to starting the drugs). 

About bone health, in particular, this is something you should monitor right now -- some studies have shown that shortly after you start HIV drugs and start to get healthy again your body draws on its resources differently in ways that can cause a decrease in bone density.  There is no definitive guidance yet, but you might want to be sure you get enough vitamin D, particularly during the first few months.

Most of these things are pretty sensible, even if they aren't exactly easy.  Stay on your drugs, eat right, get plenty of vitamin D and exercise. 

Best wishes
A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:24 am »
You might want to read through the Side-Effects section of the Lessons area of this website.

If you have any specific questions after reading the Side-Effects Lessons, please feel free to ask.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »
Ah! this is a good and subtle question, but do contrast and compare the side effects of meds vs untreated HIV (ie serious illness and death). The meds ain't perfect but they are damn good. Are there particular body systems/organs you are concerned about? Some combos are better than others long-term side effects wise.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:43:12 pm »
Ah! this is a good and subtle question, but do contrast and compare the side effects of meds vs untreated HIV (ie serious illness and death). The meds ain't perfect but they are damn good. Are there particular body systems/organs you are concerned about? Some combos are better than others long-term side effects wise.

- matt

Excellent point, it amazes me how people are so concerned about possible or potential side effects that they are willing to delay treatment or start an "unconventional" adherence strategy. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »
I got something else out of the question.

Common sense dictates that untreated HIV is never better than treated HIV.

I think the OP was asking what the long term side effects are on some of your vital organs - your kidneys, liver, etc.  I think it's a valid question.  

If you are taking medication that is metabolized in the liver, is there anything you can do in your every day life that would mitigate the strain on your liver or help make it stronger for long term?

Unfortunately there ARV's haven't been out for a long time so we have no practical experience with seeing the long term effects.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:16:05 pm by Betelgeuse »
04/19/11 - Diagnosed positive
04/29/11 - CD4 188 @ 12.5% / VL 18k
05/03/11 - CD4 171 @ unk% / VL 7k
06/04/11 - Start Truvada/Isentress
07/11/11 - CD4 not tested / VL UD
09/07/11 - CD4 252 @ unk% / VL UD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:38 pm »
I got something else out of the question.

If you are taking medication that is metabolized in the liver, is there anything you can do in your every day life that would mitigate the strain on your liver or help make it stronger for long term?

You can make sure you are vaccinated against hepa/b and dont get hep c.  Limit or cut out your alcohol intake.  Other than that I have not heard of anyfhing substantial that reduces liver toxicity.  Some people take Milk Thistle but I dont think its ever been proven to help and most doctors it seems poo poo the idea of taking it.

Maybe I jumped the gun.  But after awhile you begin to see people getting so scared of side effects that they delay or adjust their treatment.  Often times before they even encounter any side effects.  I just dont get it. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »

Much of what you will read and hear about long term effects is about the effects of long term untreated HIV infection.
Best wishes
A

Hey Bad,

Your going to get different responses to that question...

From my experiences, I agree with Assurb.  I went 18 years before starting on medication, and I believe that most of the side effects/ long term effects,  that I am dealing with now, are more a result from long term HIV infection, than HAART. For all purposes, I've been able to tolerate my medication very well, and it brought me back from the brink 8 years ago.

If I had started on medication sooner, than wait until my immune system was practically destroyed, I may be be in a better place then where I am at now.

But, I've been on meds for close to 8 years. And 5 of those 8 years were a 4 drug regimen.

The main things I am dealing with now I believe are related to aging and HIV.  I am 59 years old, and HIV positive going on 26 years .

I've had trouble through,  these past 8 years on meds controlling Cholesterol, so far, that seems to be in control. Also, blood pressure was borderline high, but is also under control through BP medication.

All ,my blood test,k liver kidney etc, have all come out within the range, of where there supposed to be.  Every once in a while a result may be on the high side, and a little out of range.

Overall for me, things are going ok. there are a few rough days, once in a while, but you push forward.

As far as preventing things,  be open and honest with your doctor is my advice.  Tell him everything you need to tell him. Get a good relationship formed with your doctor, and you'll be in good hands.

By the way, if you look under treatment and check out each individual  drug, you will find the possible side effects:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml

Take care---Ray

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:27:16 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.