Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:13:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 620
Total: 620

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PRP method - any restrictions ?  (Read 11435 times)

Offline SASA39

PRP method - any restrictions ?
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:25:52 am »
A former athlete.

Due to a prolonged knee stress ( and maybe consequences of HIV status over 10 years ) both of my knees are worn out “ so to say. Ultrasound and X-rays has shown signs of mixed  patellar tendonitis and knee arthritis  , and a ruptured meniscus on one knee.

One of the very best resolving method  for this/those kind(s) of sport injury is PRP – Plasma Rich Platelet method , which include injecting a concentrated source of autologous platelets  containing several different growth factors and other cytokines that stimulate healing of bone and soft tissue in the  injured knee.

The technologies of this process include centrifugal devices  for extraction of the platelet cells  , glass tubes etc., etc.

And a question is: does my HIV status represent a threat to other users of the centrifugal devices ( who would use the same device after me ) , or to put that in a different perspective-  are there any legal and health contraindications for using this method for the HIV positive patients ?

Secondly  , although I visit this forum less that I would want to , again I would like to thank all the members that have helped me in my almost desperate times 6 years ago.
( Andy , Dachshund , RapidRod , rick21007 , Marc , ..... and all the others - sorry if I have left someone but you know who you are ....)
Greeting from Serbia

12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: PRP method - any restrictions ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:12:23 pm »
Its some sort of medical lab that mixes up this cocktail in the centrifuge?  And if so, wouldn't it be standard practice for equipment to be sterilised between every single use?  Why would HIV be more a risk than any other bug in anyone else's plasma?  ??? ??? ???
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline SASA39

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »
Yes mecch , good observation.....
Although I forgot to say that this question or dilemma include not only hivers but also a people with Hep C and all other kind of blood transmitted diseases....and the point really is : wouldn't it be standard practice for equipment to be sterilised between every single use? 
Here is link to one of the clinics that use this kind of therapy :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PvR1dGDoVMA

25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:34:59 pm »
Hi Sasa. They should be sterilising any part of the centrifuge equipment that comes into contact with anyone's blood in between each and every use. Hiv isn't the only blood-borne pathogen out there and some - like hep B and C - are MUCH more contagious than hiv.

If you're at all worried, ask them about their universal precautions/sterilising procedures used concerning the machine - you have every right to ask. After all, you don't want someone else's hepatitis or other blood-borne disease.

Hope you're doing well otherwise. :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SASA39

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:06:17 am »
Hi Ann,

"They should" are the key words....and if I ask them directly it may become suspicious , so I guess I would have to find a suptile way to resolve this...... I do not wanna rock a boat in a country where stigma is still strong enough.

Apart from some  arthritis flares ( due to a HIV drugs that I take  , years  and mileage) I `m doing almost well.

And of course you now that you belong ( with your sometimes strict but fair teacher attitude , which is justified on those forums ) to the group of my favourite persons here.

Al
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:33:16 pm »

"They should" are the key words....and if I ask them directly it may become suspicious

Al, you're afraid that they'll become suspicious that you have hiv? It probably wouldn't even enter their minds.

All you have to do is ask something like - "has this thing been cleaned before you're using it on me? What if the guy before me has hepatitis?"

It's a perfectly legitimate questions and should not arouse any suspicions at all. They might think you're a bit scared of being infected with something from someone else, but I can't see them thinking that you're asking because you are infected with something.

By the way, thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SASA39

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 05:42:22 am »
Ann
I`d rather said that I`m cautious , because I do have a lot of friends within medical stuff workers in Serbia , infact this method was recommended for me by my good friend who is a doctor( and do not know anything about my status).Also this is a land where everyone tend to know everything about everyone so it is better to be safe than sorry.And about questions....you just took my words out of my mouth...that`s exactly the way that I`m going to ask them....
BTW , this method although painfull is for some the last resort before surgical procedure which I tend to avoid.
Take care
Al
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:06:50 am »

Also this is a land where everyone tend to know everything about everyone

Well, I know all about that sort of living! The joke where I live goes like this - we live on a rock* in the middle of the Irish Sea, with 85,000 alcoholics clinging to it. If you fart in Peel, they know ten seconds later "down Ramsey". Don't ask me why, but it's always "down Ramsey", whether you're west, north or south of Ramsey. You can't be east of Ramsey unless you're in a boat. Just one of those Manx thangs. (*572 km2 / 221 sq mi)

The population in the town where I live is only about 4,500. Talk about everyone knowing your business! ;D But it's good here, because people look out for each other and help each other. There's a fantastic sense of community - even more so than any other area on the island. (The Isle of Man, btw) And you know what? My positive hiv status and that of several other people living in my town is common knowledge. And we don't get any grief over it either.

Anyway, yes, it sounds like you're on the right track regarding how to go about asking about their sterilisation procedures. They should be the same regardless of the patient. You can subtly remind them of this by asking about their "universal precautions".

Good luck, I hope the procedure brings you some relief.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline SASA39

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 08:13:31 am »
This could be a good "modus operandi" :

Questions to Ask Your Doctor

Each patient and injury is unique; therefore it is important to discuss any treatment with an orthopaedic surgeon. If PRP treatment is recommended, Dr. Hall suggests asking your doctor the following to help determine if it is right for you:
1.Are there any contraindications for the method ?
2. What are possible side effects? (Examples include increased pain or inflammation at the injection site.)
3. How many injections will I receive?
4. Will there be any restrictions?

25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.