Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:29:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 233
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is a good protein powder that I can take?  (Read 27960 times)

Offline prettyboy80

What is a good protein powder that I can take?
« on: November 19, 2008, 11:01:11 pm »
Hey guys thank to the ones who replied to my last topic post I appreciate it,I just wanted to know is there a really good protein powder that is not harsh on the stomach that I can take? I heard about Whey protein but not sure if it would be as affected with some who is HIV positive would it help a great deal? I'd appreciate the feedback and advice or experiences with any protein powders.  :)

Offline MYSTERY

Re: What is a good protein powder that I can take?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 11:14:38 pm »
Whey protein has been touted as potentially being helpful in a number of medical conditions. Whey protein may be helpful in blood sugar control. Whey protein could also improve muscle mass and be used together with creatine for bodybuilding. Whey has antioxidant, antihypertensive, antitumor, hypolipidemic, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. The amino acid cysteine in whey converts into glutathione, a strong intracellular antioxidant. It may also be helpful in immune function disorders.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:18:37 pm »
I always choose whey over soy protein, only because soy tends to cause an increase in estrogen levels in guys. Me, I want all the testosterone I can get :)

I have not noticed that protein powders are harsh on the stomach. I usually make a shake with orange juice protein powder. I have recently added the store (cheap) brand of Benefiber as well, to offset the side effects of my meds (thanks, Norvir). It really seems to help.

If you can handle milk, the whey should be no issue for you. As a matter of fact, if you dont like the juice, you can make a shake with milk and flavorings :)

Lean muscle mass is very important for HIV positive folks. And given our economy, finding steady sources of protein can be difficult for people without a lot of money. These shakes do not replace other sources of protein, but they are great supplements. Plus they taste good, fill you up, and help recovery after a workout.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:27:28 pm »
PB:

Here's where I buy mine and I've always found their service to be good.  Although I stick to the unflavored, as you can see there's a variety of options  I normally order the WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE 05LB REFILL size.  It seems to be the best deal.  They also have a store on eBay where you can potentially save yourself a few bucks depending on what you're looking for.

http://www.allthewhey.com

Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:30:53 pm »
I get mine at Wal-Mart (I know, I know) and the five pound jug of whey protein powder is less than fifteen bucks :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:27:42 am »
I get mine at Wal-Mart (I know, I know) and the five pound jug of whey protein powder is less than fifteen bucks :)

Wow -- that's about half of the lowest price I've ever found for a 5 pound jug.  What brand is it?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 07:26:13 pm »
ack, my bad. I checked, and I have been buying the two pound jug. Still lasts me a couple of months, and last time I bought it it was on sale for twelve ninety five

Body Fortress Super Advanced whey protein

info at bodyfortress dot com

Welcome Thread

Seadickrun

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 05:50:40 am »
An HIV dietitian got me started on the Whey protein powder.  I also throw in some brewers yeast but I started the brewers yeast shakes about 25 years ago long before the protein powder craze:)

Phytates found in soy products interfere with zinc absorption.  I love tofu but I'm not going to go on a complete soy diet anytime soon. 

Offline scguy1

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:55:41 pm »
I buy the same from walmart and it works great. No need to pay for the over priced whey protein.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:50 pm »
Say it all together in unison - "Zombie Thread"

BTW, do zombies like protein powder?  I prefer liquid protein myself - but I digress.... ::)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »
I prefer liquid protein myself - but I digress.... ::)

like in one of those little protein shakes at Orange Julius Phil?? 

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:25:46 pm »
like in one of those little protein shakes at Orange Julius Phil?? 
;D
How did you know?   ::)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:29:30 pm »
Miss P used to consume EAS Myoplex, purchased at a bodybuilding store run by Dominican men (use your imagination). I also sometimes switched up to Isopure as my research showed it gave you the most grams of protein for you money -- IIRC it was 50g per serving which is a lot. Myoplex IMO was much tastier. Taste and how it hits your stomach are all personal issues, you may have to experiment with different products which is why I recommend a specialty store for diversity.

Bodybuilders consume a lot of these products so if you can find a good specialty store they'll have reasonable prices and/or once you settle on what product you like best you can research comparisons on line.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline elf

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:43:28 am »
I would like to know if whey protein contains cholesterol or not.
I'm on a totally vegetarian diet because of Keletra (eat only fish).
I can't eat low fat cheese and poultry because of cholesterol.
Is whey protein safe or should I opt for soya products?
(My triglycerides are normal, HDL is high, LDL is borderline high, total cholesterol is high).

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 12:28:48 am »
I use Isolyze whey protein, and i've been using it for 2 years now. It's by far THE best protein out there. You can mix it with a spoon and it will not clump like other protein powders out there.

http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-isolyze-vanilla-2lb.htm

I use it to make my smoothie every morning. Which btw is FABULOUS.

1 Banana
Handful of raspberries
1/3 cup of peanut butter
1 scoop of Isolyze powder
1 tblsp of honey
a dash of cinnamon
a handful of ice cubes
10-16 ounces of unsweetened almond milk
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 12:31:34 am »
For a thread that simply refuses to die this is a fairly short one.

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »
PLEASE don't keep feeding the zombies

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 07:56:16 am »
PLEASE don't keep feeding the zombies

Why not? Zombies have nutritional needs too, ya know.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 11:00:48 am »
Yes, Ann   but

Owning a zombie, takes a little more responsibility than just feeding it. You have to worry about false claims about zombie supplements. You have to worry about grooming and diseases (zombie syphilis, zombie anal warts, zombie wasting zombie lypodystrophy, etc.)   You also have to worry about Zombie disclosure; when to tell your family or even more so when to tell someone you are dating.

the list goes on

Offline leftalone

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 06:18:02 pm »
i dunno much but the whey protein i am usin works awesome. The brand that i have is from american nutrition..In India it is imported from US..We all are  praying when we'll get cure for this deadliest virus and we will breathe fearlessly without being bothered about  our diet and protein shake..
Cd4 612 , VL-106042 @19% as on 08/28/2012

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »
It LIVES! Can I get in on this Zombie thread?

I use Muscle Milk. It's the only one I can stomach and doesnt make me feel bloated. Vanilla flavored with Banana and fresh strawberries and a spoon of honey with whole milk each morning, I also throw in a little carnation powdered milk for some extra Vit D. Actually Ive had to cut back to just a couple times a week till they see whats going on with my Kindeys.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 07:49:37 pm »
Why are you still taking protein shakes when you don't work out and have been gaining 25 lbs of blubber?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »
Why are you still taking protein shakes when you don't work out and have been gaining 25 lbs of blubber?

Blubber. That's cute.

You know... your antagonism really is painting these forums in a bad light.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline zach

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »
Up Your Mass

tastes like cake batter, and with a name like that!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.