Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Tested Negative After 8 Years. Have some questions.. Please help.  (Read 34471 times)

Offline trsmt

Re: Tested Negative After 8 Years. Have some questions.. Please help.
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2006, 11:00:57 am »
Ann,

I know there is nothing more you can really do for me.  I guess I was looking for more reassurances, which have already been provided to me.

I know I should consider myself very, very lucky and accept my negative status and go on.  It just gets really hard to do when faced with symptoms again and again...  I know my anxiety surely doesn't help my health, particularly during pregnancy.  Not to mention hormonal fluctuations adding to emotional instability.

Any comments anyone else has to maybe help would be welcomed.

I appreciate your patience and thank you for not giving me a "time out". 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2006, 11:10:58 am »
I wouldn't thank Ann quite yet for not getting a time out, because you are on the verge of getting one.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2006, 04:12:49 pm »
tr,

OK, that's it. You've been around here long enough to know you need to stay in your own thread.

Time out, four weeks.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline trsmt

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2006, 11:37:04 am »
Hello again.  It's been a few months since I have been here.  I had my baby in October.  The cough that had plagued me ALL through my pregnancy went away 2 days later.  Since then there have been a few things that have happened that have caused me to be concerned again - even though I have tested negative years after my prolonged exposure to someone who was positive.

About 10 days after delivery of my child, I started having tingling/numbness mostly in my feet, but a bit in my hands as well.  It comes and goes, but is not a limb that is "asleep".  It can happen at any time of the day, but is always present when I get out of bed.

During the same time frame I started having watery eyes.  They are bloodshot most of the time as well.  I have noticed some visual abnormalities.  Not blurred vision, but not being able to read quite as well, eyes seem to be straining, etc.

I have been sick most of the time for the last two months.  Sore throat, low grade fever, nausea, cough, swollen lymph nodes in neck, etc.  The nausea has been on and off for weeks now.  I've had night sweats, but I know that is most likely due to hormonal fluctuation post-partum.  I have also had "geographic tongue" since September.  It WILL NOT go away.

I know you guys told me over and over again that my negative Oraquick test was conclusive and that HIV cannot be my problem.  Do the symptoms and circumstances described above change opinion on that for anyone?  Does anyone feel that I could have had a "false negative" test?  It concerns me that I seem to be sick all the time.

I had done pretty well with all this for a time before I had the baby.  I had hoped that when I was no longer pregnant my health would rebound.  Now these fears are nagging at me and I am worried for my baby, my boyfriend and myself.

Please give me your thoughts and opinions on all this.  I really appreciate your help!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2006, 11:40:14 am »
You've reliably tested negative and there is nothing more we can help you with. You are beyond our scope. Please see a mental health professional.

Offline trsmt

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2006, 12:22:45 pm »
I have been seeing a counselor for a few months now.  That has been helpful to a great degree.  The questions I had for you guys at this point had to do with the PHYSICAL probelms I am having and whether or not you think it's at all possible that my test was false negative and/or if these "symptoms" sounded worrisome in regards to HIV?  It really doens't seem right to me that I have been constantly sick and now have these new medical problems.  Some of which (the peripheral neurpoathy type issue) seem indicative of HIV infection.

Can someone please just have a dialog with me in regards to this?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2006, 12:24:30 pm »
See your doctor, it's not HIV related and this is an HIV assessment website.

Offline trsmt

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2006, 12:29:21 pm »
If anyone else here is willing to discuss my medical issues and HIV concerns in relation to them, please let me know.  I would just like someone to talk to me in a bit greater detail about all this.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2006, 06:21:26 pm »
tr,

You are conclusively hiv negative and no, nothing you have posted leads me to believe otherwise.

This website does not exist for you to discuss your non-hiv medical concerns with others. The ONLY person you should be discussing these concerns with is your doctor. There is not a person alive who can give you a diagnosis over the internet. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

There is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline trsmt

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2006, 06:38:30 pm »
Ummm, my concerns were in regards to HIV, obviously.  In dealing with this I have found a few other forums to be much more helpful and supportive than the moderators here.  I thought that just for the heck of it I would come back here and post once more to see if anyone felt that at this point I needed to be concerned and if I would have a better experience here this time.  That has unfortunately not been the case.  I guess that is too much to ask of you folks.

I will return to the other forums that are not so unwilling to talk to people about their concerns and fears and are actually helpful to those that seek their assistance.

jkinatl.  You were very kind to me and I would like to personally thank you and wish you well.

The rest of you - you will not hear from me again!  I would urge those that are "worried well" to seek assistance in the online forum arena to look to other sites for help.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2006, 06:48:50 pm »
There is no reason for you to come to the forum in the first place. You've conclusively tested negative and there needs to be no more discussing of the subject with you. I believe when the other WW read this thread they will understand that you have serious issues that are unrelated to HIV.

Offline trsmt

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2006, 07:00:03 pm »
Think whatever you want.  Quite frankly I could care less.  Obviously people have individual questions and concerns.  The vast majority of which I believe would be better served elsewhere.

You all can stay here with your hard and fast rules about when people are "allowed" to make comments or ask questions and god forbid if they do anything against your ridiculous "rules" they might be put in a "time out" like a 5 year old for speaking out of line, or ridiculed for no good reason!

Take your forum and stick it....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2006, 07:07:23 pm »
Good bye.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2006, 11:21:04 pm »
To any other worry well reading this angry rant, let me assure you that the forums were a very difficult place to be without these rules and moderation. The organizers have created a very good site and there are some great experts here. However, when people are worried, or panic, they often ask many questions, use other usernames and post questions in other threads. This makes answering questions for people with specific concerns very difficult. I myself have had my time wasted by this many a time. I only can come here a few times in the day and I want to be able to help people without having to wade through that confusion.

I think that the smooth running of this site and the knowledge that pandering to worry wells who ask continuous questions about a non-risk is less useful than putting them on a "Time out" to cut them off from visiting this site and going to do something about it has worked very well. I have received many PMs saying this.

So we have a lot to thank the moderators for, who have a very difficult job.

So please, ask your questions but realize that if you go round in circles, you might be better getting help for the underlying fear. They never turn people away with concerns unless they don't get that they weren't at risk for HIV and don't get it after 50 posts. There is only a certain number of times you can say no risk.

Believe it or not people come on here and deliberately make things up to ruin things. I remember a time the AIDS denialists would trawl this site spouting religious beliefs. Thanks to the hard work of the organizers that is gone too.

Rich
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.