Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 332
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to get pregnant safely?  (Read 11002 times)

Offline kydia

How to get pregnant safely?
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:23:38 pm »
Hello all... I am very interested in getting pregnant and a little scared because that will be my first time. My partner is negative and we don't have enough money to cover hospital cost for in vitro. Also i don't know the chance for the baby to be infected. Have been diagnosed 7 years ago. Actually I am undetectable and CDC of 446. My meds are Truvada and Viracept. Please if anyone can share with me. Besides my doctor, there is no one else to help me. My partner don't know that much either. Thanks....

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
Re: How to get pregnant safely?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:58:03 am »
Hi there

My BF is also negative and we got the instructions from the gyn the other week although we are not doing it yet.

It's quite straight forward really... as soon as you determine the period in which your ovulation occurs (can fall anytime between the 10th day after the 1st day of your period to a week or 10 days later - depending on the length of your cycle, that is the # of days btw the first day of your period and the 1st day of the next), you have to regularly - every day or other day - during that period of time, to get your partner to ejaculate inside a clean container and then use a syringe [without a needle] to draw out the sperm and put it inside you while you are lying down, and wait for about 10 minutes without moving. You don't have to hurry, the sperm will stay alive in the container for about 4 hours, although preferably you would inject yourself within a few minutes.

Alternatively, use a non-spermicidal condom for sex and afterwards draw the sperm out from there. Make sure to use a new syringe everytime.

You can know the exact 24 hours time of ovulation if you buy a monthly ovulation urine test - sticks that you pee every morning on during the period in which ovulation should occur. It shows you in 24 hours before it will happen, and you must do the sperm thing after 24 hours but no later than 48 hours from getting the positive result on the test. It costs about 30 Euro a month here I imagine the US price is similar in dollars. If your period is regular you can prob. assume that the ovulation will be the same day as the last month when counting from the beginning of your period so you don't have to buy a new test each month.

That's it pretty much.

Re the baby - you will have to be on medication and with an undetectable or very low VL, I don't know about your specific meds but in general the US is more conservative in the meds it allows women to take. Provided that you follow the regulations and in the birth as well there is around 1% chance of transmission. I don't know much about the birth protocol yet, I beleive the main difference is that if you are in labor for more than a few hours they will do a C-section. There are women here who gave birth and treated the baby for prevention and I am sure they will chime in.

I have also been told to take 5 mg of follic acid per day for a few month in advance before conception (not sure how long is the minimum period to take it), like all women who want to get pregnant...

Good luck with it!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:42:26 am by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Blessed1974

• Time waits for no one so don't dream life live it!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:18:31 am »
To add on to what Dragonette said you may also want to try EPO (evening primrose oil) during ovulation.  I used it this time and got pregnant the first try.  Also, if you start taking prenatal vitamins now you'll get the folic acid you need to get yourself ready plus they work great on hair and nails too, LOL  ;D

tendai

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:06:58 pm »
hie Kydia
all i can say is that i wish u the best of luck!!

Offline kydia

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:43:28 pm »
Thank you Dragonette for all your in formations. The first thing I will get the ovulation test and from there go to the next step.
Also I have a question for Blessed 1974. What is Evening primrose oil, what does that help, and where can I find it? Thanks again

Offline Nygurl225

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 11:44:47 pm »
Hi Kydia,

I didn't know I was Pos until after I got pregnant so I cant offer tips on how to safetly get pregnant but I can tell u about my experiance with being pos and pregnant.

I've been put on meds to keep my VL down. As long as it's under 1000ml I can have a vaginal delivery. They will let you labor, but they will not rupture your membranes or allow you to go too long with ruptured membranes. If you labor too long with a broken bag of water they will do a c-section. You will have IV AZT during labor and delivery and most likely your baby will recieve AZT for the first 6 weeks. Every doctor is different but this is a general protocol. there is less then a 2% chance of transmission w/ a vaginal birth less then 1% with c-section.

Best of luck getting pregnant!!!

Offline catwoman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:31:28 am »
Thank you Dragonette for those instructions.  I can't convince my husband to use protection with me and he's negative.  I'm undetectable.  He fully understands the risk but he won't function with condoms or female condoms, nothing.  He won't do it.  I say all that to say, we've been trying 8 months so far and I'm always worried and that stress is not cool.  I just emailed him those instructions, so when he opens his email, he'll read it.  I think men respond to letters and stuff sometimes better.  I don't know.  Good luck on getting pregnant kydia.

Offline Blessed1974

• Time waits for no one so don't dream life live it!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 03:23:03 pm »
Kydia,

Here is some info I copied offline for you about EPO.  It's a supplement for women but this will give you a little more detail and you can google it yourself too to read more about it  .  .  .

"Evening Primrose Oil or EPO lowers cholesterol, helps to alleviate premenstrual syndrome symptoms and aids in the production of fertile quality cervical fluid. Evening Primrose Oil or EPO does a world of good in treating aliments of all sorts. Evening Primrose Oil or EPO is an essential fatty acid that contains gamma linolenic acid (GLA). This gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is converted to a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin E1 which has anti-inflammatory properties and may also act as a blood thinner and blood vessel dilator. These anti-inflammatory properties of evening primrose oil help people suffering from pains, aches and cramps.

Evening Primrose Oil or EPO should only be taken from menstruation to ovulation. This is because Evening Primrose Oil or EPO can cause uterine contractions in pregnancy. The dosage taken should be 1500mg to 3000mg per day. Since essential fatty acids are necessary, you can take flax seed oil in place of Evening Primrose Oil or EPO after ovulation. This may be taken throughout pregnancy as well."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.