Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 06:56:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 111
Total: 112

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What Exactly is a Long Term Non Progessor?  (Read 4764 times)

Offline cocoboogie

What Exactly is a Long Term Non Progessor?
« on: May 17, 2008, 07:50:29 pm »
This maybe a silly question but I am curious as to what qualifies someone as long term non progessor -or- long term slow progessor.  I have seen the terms used alot but I was never clear how the determination was made.

I assumed a non progressor would be someone who tested positive but never experienced an AIDS defining illness or tcell count never went below the 300/250 mark.  I read an earlier post were someone experienced an OI, was on meds but considered a non progessor.

I kinda guessed I was a slow progessor since I lasted this long (16 years) without my first OI till last year and not being on meds till last month. Is there a blood test that can be perform to determine slow progessor vs non progessor?

I looked in the lessons section but didnt see anything regarding the topic.  Just curious about it.  Any insight about the terms would be great.
Date    CD4  VL
11/07  20     56,000 started chemo for KS
4/08    12     60,000 started Kaletra and Truvada
5/08    14     820
6/08    19     Undetectable stopped chemo
7/08   149    Undetectable  
8/09   247    undetectable
6/10   498    undetectable
1/11   408    undetectable
4/11   402    undetectable  
5/11   511    undetectable
11/11  599   undetectable
7/12    439   undetectable
3/13     479 undectectable
9/13 645  undectectable

Offline emeraldize

Re: What Exactly is a Long Term Non Progessor?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:16:15 am »
Hello CCB

You may hear from one or two of the LTS LTNP of the elite controller ilk, but until such time (despite the fact that I'm not an LTS, but am viewed by MGH and NIH study PIs as an LTNP of the viremic controller crowd) I can get you started.

You will find some info to help answer your questions here http://www.hivcontrollers.org and if you google LTNP or long-term non-progressor you'll find some information.

Some docs refer to the category (viremic) as long-term slow progressors as there is, over time, downward progression of the CD4 count. The post you cite regarding someone here being an LTNP who experienced an OI and was on meds perhaps qualified at one time, but that apparently changed. If a person is on ARVs, they're no longer an LTNP, as no meds is one of the defining criteria. The body's immune system has to be doing the suppression work unaided by meds.

One of the long-time members of this forum was an LTNP and I always hold his story in mind with every quarterly lab check. After a number of years of LTNP status, everything about his LTNP status went upside down, and suddenly, he had to go on meds.

I have never looked at my status as a guarantee, but also try to do everything I can to support my immune system--don't smoke, don't drink, daily multi-vitamin, eat a wide range of mostly healthy foods (but make allowances for ice cream under the "calcium" category ;), moderate exercise (should actually be more ::)), try to keep stress in check, get enough sleep.

BTW, yours is not a silly question--it's a great question. And, every time this topic is raised, there's a chance someone who is an LTNP will learn about it, verify it, and then consider enrolling in Walker's study (MGH) or one or more at the NIH.

Em

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
Re: What Exactly is a Long Term Non Progessor?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:50:54 pm »
Hi Coco

A great question indeed  :D Em has most of the points about LTNP's spot on.

Being one of several LTNP's here at the Forums I can indeed say that it is no guarantee of the future. Though I've been poz and healthy without medication since 1981, I too hold my breath a bit when I get my test done, usually as part of one of the  LTNP studies I'm enrolled in.

Like Em, I'm enrolled in the HIV Controllers study in Boston, where I'll be going to in two weeks time. It is the 5th year of my participation in that study. Like wise, I'm in the NIH LTNP study. Here's a link to  that study                     

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00029445?order=1

As a resident of Australia I'm also in a LTNP study in Sydney.

Over the years here at the Forums I know that several LTNP's have found studies to participate by following links that were posted in these topics.

In the grouping of LTNP's, I'm what is sometimes called by researchers an 'elite controller'.

Cheers
Paul

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.