Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:01:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 607
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Provigil for fatigue  (Read 5114 times)

Offline billchil

Provigil for fatigue
« on: July 10, 2006, 08:44:35 am »
Hi everyone

I've been living with HIV for more than 21 years.  Fatigue was a big part of my life until recently when I joined a clinical trial for Provigil for people with HIV and fatigue.  Provigil (also known as modafinil) is approved for people with narcolepsy, and is being studied for people with HIV.  It makes me feel very alert while not feeling anxious.  The mental boost is enough to kick off the motivation to get more things done, including exercise.  I have gotten so much accomplished since I started taking it. 

My study is in the New York City area, and I am not sure where else there are trials.  The study head is Dr. Judith Rabkin (212) 543-5762.

Bill

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Provigil for fatigue
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:48:57 am »
Welcome to the Forums Bill!

I'm glad to hear that Provigil is working for you. Here's hoping that other HIVers who experience debilitating fatigue have similar good results.

Kind regards,

MtD

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:23:42 pm »
That's great news about the Provigil. Judith Rabkin is a respected researcher (she's done many studies with HIV-positive folk and fatigue or depression; I know the ones using testosterone and DHEA). How long have you been taking the modafinil?

I have a request -- could you also post this on the Fatigue and Anemia forum on the website www.thebody.com? They get a lot of hits; the expert on that forum, Bob Frascino, is poz himself and very popular. I'm sure a lot of people would like to read this info on that site.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline billchil

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:08:05 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, MtD and Jay... I will post on thebody.

I have been taking Provigil for 3 months... I noticed the effect immediately.  I have been able to do things I had not been able to for many years.

Bill

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 11:36:18 am »
Things that make you go "hmmmm...."   http://www.innewsweekly.com/innews/?class_code=Ne&article_code=738  

Patricia Case, Harvard University professor of social science and infectious disease, says Provigil is an amphetamine-like product approved in 1998 and used extensively by the military in Iraq to keep forces alert for up to 40 hours.  :-\  :-\

:-\ bill: check in with us if you get a moment
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 11:39:06 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 02:50:04 pm »
Also a long-time pozzie and contemplated the use of this drug for fatigue.  BUT, those of us on Sustiva already have numerous problems sleeping because of that drug.  I now take the antidepressant Remeron, due to its sedating effect, for that very reason.

My question to you is: Does the Provigil interfere with your ability to sleep?  If not, what is the NNRTI or PI portion of your HAART?
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 11:17:30 pm »
Hello Bill, it is Eldon.

It is certainly a good thing to hear that there is something out there for HIV and fatigue. Actually, your results sound awesome! Please DO keep us posted.

http://www.provigil.com/patient/home.aspx

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 11:40:44 pm »
Patricia Case, Harvard University professor of social science and infectious disease, says Provigil is an amphetamine-like product approved in 1998 and used extensively by the military in Iraq to keep forces alert for up to 40 hours.

I find this Provigil more and more interesting . . .

MtD ;)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 08:57:03 pm »
I find this Provigil more and more interesting . . .

MtD ;)

yeah well the good professor seems to be implying that Provigil has a dark side (no clever quips, Matty)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 09:01:11 pm »
Honey,

Matty the Damned isn't called Matty the Damned for nothing. He's taken heaps scarier stuff than Provigil. Lots of it cooked up in dirty bathtubs by bikies called "Boonda" and "Mad-Dog".

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.