Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:54:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 461
Total: 464

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Taking Part In Liver Study  (Read 2253 times)

Offline tednlou2

Taking Part In Liver Study
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:49:34 am »
At my last doc appt, my doc noticed that I often complain about pain under my right rib.  Gotta complain about something, right?  Anyway, he said we could kill 2 birds with one stone.  He told me about a study that looks at liver health in people with HIV.  He said part of the study, besides looking at bloodwork, would be to have periodic ultra-sounds and/or MRI's of my liver.  So, I could participate in this study and also have my liver/gallbladder looked at to make sure all was okay now. 

I recently just read the article, on this site I think, about how liver disease/failure was the number one cause of death in people with HIV.  I told him about that and how there was another study that suggested HAART actually protects the liver, instead of causing damage as many fear.  So, I filled out all the paperwork to participate.  It was a lot of paperwork.  From what I understand, they will do periodic checks on my liver now and after I start meds.  He also discussed enrolling me in a LTNP or slow progressor study.  I'm not sure how that works, because I don't have proof of when I was infected.  I would think you'd need proof, and I thought the viral load had to be lower than my 9k-15k average.  And, if many can go 10 years doing fine, then it would seem many would fall into that category.  So, I'm not sure I would qualify for that.

But, I'm happy to be able to do something, since I'm not in the position to talk about HIV/AIDS to groups---just don't have the knowledge yet and and not psychologically ready to do that.  I'm curious what studies you guys are in, or have been in?  Besides helping with the study, did they find anything that was important to your health that may have otherwise been missed?  I go Thursday for my first ultra-sound. 

Offline weasel

Re: Taking Part In Liver Study
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 06:02:16 pm »

I will be waiting to hear what goes on !

My right side KILLS me  :'(

I am a  Non-documented LONG TERM Survivor

I pretty much know   who and when  :o

don't care to go there ...........  Ya I sometimes dwell on it . Still useless  :-\

I  am interested how HARRT would help our Livers

Have fun , ((((( HUGS ))))))
                                                                  Carl

PS. Thank you for doing this . It is a good thing for many of us  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline tednlou2

Re: Taking Part In Liver Study
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:56:37 pm »
Weasel, here is that study on HAART protecting the liver.  Have you had your gallbladder/liver checked with the pain you have?  The tech doing the ultrasound told me there can be issues that don't show up on blood tests.  But, she also said some people have colon pain or just a pulled muscle there that won't heal, instead of something internal.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_liver_fibrosis_1667_20194.shtml

They said they would call me, if anything was wrong.  I always hate when they say that, because I always think maybe someone will forget to call...lol.  Well, not unheard of.  They were able to see my stomach, kidneys, liver and gallbladder; however, my pancreas was blocked by gas.  I was hoping they would be able to see that as well, since HIV can irratate it and cause issues.  I asked if it was something that I did wrong.  I restricted my diet as told.  They said gas is often there and blocks it.  Oh well, maybe next time.  Looking at the screen, I could not make out anything.  Nothing looked like a liver or kidney to me.  I guess that is why they go to school and know what they are looking at. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.