Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:52:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 237
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Concerned about possible exposure  (Read 3145 times)

Offline mocca25

Concerned about possible exposure
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:28:50 pm »
Hello everyone, I am glad to find a site where I can find information and support and would be very grateful of any feedback.

Here is my story. I am a male and have been living with my male friend for 6 years. In January he decided to apply for life insurance to help out a friend who was selling it. On February 2, 2012 his friend called him and told him his policy had been denied because there was a problem with his blood work. He freaked out and left to go take a rapid HIV test. He came back that night to tell me he tested positive. That test was later confirmed by western blot. My last sexual encounter with him was about two days prior to Feb 2 which I believe was Jan. 31. It was unprotected, I was on the receiving end and he did ejaculate inside :(

About 1-2 days after he found out his result (fri or sat morning) I noticed a white coating on my tongue which made me extremely worried....It is still there as of now. I wanted to go take a test for myself but was afraid because I already knew I would be positive too because he was. I decided to wait a while until I was mentally prepared to hear from someone that I was positive. I was very depressed and scared and even had gotten to the point where I was ready to accept this new reality.

On March 1, 2012 at 30 days 4.2 weeks after that last possible exposure, I had finally developed enough courage and was ready to go take my test. I figured that I need to know what's going on with my body and its best to know early. I went to take a rapid oraquick 20 minute test and it came back negative. I was very surprised and relieved at the same time and felt very good until I started to think about the "window period".

I am still very concerned and worried mainly because of the risk involved with that exposure and the appearance of the white coating that is still on my tongue which causes me to think it may be a candida infection. I'm so confused as to how that would appear so early after the possible exposure and then for me to test negative. I have been worried everyday after my test, wondering if I'm seroconverting later and will test positive later. Today marks 6.2 weeks since last possible exposure and two weeks later since my negative test result.

Can anyone please help me make some sense out of all of this, I'm confused, worried and scared and obsessed with thinking about this. How accurate was my result at 4.2 weeks and why does my tongue appear white so recent?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Concerned about possible exposure
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:40 pm »
First off don't self-diagnose yourself. Thrush is not HIV specific and does not come on that quick due to HIV. You can obtain your conclusive negative test result 3 months post exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:26 pm »
First of all, that white coating on your tongue is not an HIV specific occurence. And even if it is a candida infection, that too is not HIV specific.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. So your negative result is encouraging. You can test again at 6 weeks. If you get a negative at that point then it means you will likely continue testing negative at 3 months.

Symptoms never tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. If you have any you should discuss them with your doctor to find the real cause.

Meantime now you and your boyfriend need to start using condoms everytime you have anal intercourse. No Exceptions. Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission.

Good luck with your tests.
Andy Velez

Offline mocca25

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:58 pm »
Thank you for your response. I will follow up with another test and go to the doctor for a complete exam concerning the oral issue. I have also been told something very similar from someone who works for the CDC. He said if I had been infected he would have expected my test to be positive when I took it because 1 month was ample time to have produced antibodies. I have been completely transformed by this whole situation and have learned a very valuable lesson.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:29 am »
OK, good.

And remember that you and your bf can continue to have an active and mutually enjoyable sex life. Just be sure to always without exceptions use condoms for anal intercourse and you will be effectively protected. 
Andy Velez

Offline mocca25

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:50 am »
I went to get another test done today, which would be about the 7th week mark using the Oraquick advance test and the result was negative, however the nurse said I still need to come back in 6 months. That seems like way too long of a time when all I have researched stated much less than that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »
That nurse needs to get a refreshener course in HIV infection. If you re-test at 3 months and get a negative then you regard that result as conclusive.

And with the negative you've just received at  7 weeks I am expecting you to continue to test negative. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risk.

Andy Velez

Offline mocca25

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:13:23 pm »
ok thank you so much, you all have been very informative and supportive and it's so good to have a very reliable site like this where people can come to. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »
You're welcome. Glad you found the responses to be helpful.

Also want to remind you of the importance of using condoms everytime you and your bf maybe having anal intercourse. Use them consistently. No exceptions.
They provide very effective protection and will allow you to maintain that intimacy the safer way.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.