Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:44:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 215
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bee.....zzzzzzz Lots of Beezzzzzz  (Read 5169 times)

Offline randym431

Bee.....zzzzzzz Lots of Beezzzzzz
« on: August 01, 2006, 03:37:03 am »
Bee's don’t like me. This true story is a bit un nerving for the faint of heart, but all too true!

Back in the 90's, twice, I was attacked be carpenter bee's while mowing.
They are MEAN bee's. And make their homes in the ground. So there I was mowing
and I felt a bee sting. I looked down and I had bee's all over me, my legs, shirt, back, everywhere.
I thought of water. I know bee's done like water. So I ran to the house, the bee's following, and into the bathroom.
(yes, these bee's actually follow you)
Turned on the shower and stood in it clothes and all (bee's too). Not only did the bee's follow me into the house,
 but into the bathroom. I slammed the bathroom door as I went into the room. More bee's were actually waiting for me
outside the bathroom door. My partner opened the door and asked "what wrong", and I yelled "keep the door shut".

Well finally most the bee's got water logged and fell off. Luckily I was wearing sweats and a long sleeved shirt,
but still had quite a few stings especially on the ankles and legs.

This happened twice that summer. Then, and also when I was mowing the far back yard. I learned these bee's usually make a huge nest
in the ground with two outputs to the surface. That year I finally got rid of them by pouring gas down the holes (at night when they sleep),
and finally burnt them out. It took quite a few tries since they managed to come back in a few days every time.

So, fast forward to 7/31/06 (today). I'm mowing the back hill, and felt a sting on the leg. Looked down and have some bee's on my shirt and legs, but only a few. So off I go, running to the house (and shower), and I seen more bee's following me to the house. I ran in but into the garage this time, since I only had a few bee's on me (this time), and I grabbed the bug spray and started spraying my legs and shirt (where the few bee's were). So far so good.

Then I went back to the scene of the bee crime, and at a distance could see what looked like hundreds of mad bee's around the ground nest/hive that I had mowed over. So this time I get the bug spray and went up on the hill and (from a distance) sprayed the kageebies out of the mound/nest/hive.

So the bee war is again on. And I know from reading (before back in the 90's), these carpenter bee's have two links to the nest, so I can only wonder where the other is. I'll no doubt find it, the hard way, when mowing more of the yard.

Summer time...such fun!!!!

If this did not actually happen to me, I'd think it was my worst sustiva dream. Damn bee's.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:41:12 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Re: Bee.....zzzzzzz Lots of Beezzzzzz
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 03:48:50 am »
 :o  :o  :o

Gosh, I'm in Iowa too, but not particularly outdoorsy, thank the lawd.

Sorry to hear about your bee travails. PETA or no PETA, those damn bees deserved to die.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 03:49:10 am »
Holy crap! Are these Africanized killer bees??

I like honey just fine, but bees - ok, any stinging insect in the plural - creep me out.

Should NOT have watched The Swarm.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline randym431

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:55:22 am »
Actually these are ground nesting bee's. My aunt called them carpenter bee's and had them on the farm a lot.
I just know they are "MEAN" bee's. And how they had followed me clear into the house, waiting. When my partner
was outside the bathroom door (the first time this happened), they didnt go for him. He didnt even see them flying
around. But when he opened the door, it was like they knew I was in there and in they came.

Sounds like some Hitchcock movie doest it? Like The Birds, but bee's instead. I just cant believe they are back this summer, again,
and still hold a grudge. Well, so do I.   >:(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:58:08 am by randym431 »

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 09:23:51 am »
I hate all bugs but epically bees, wasps, and any other flying insect.

I received an email that said that Bounce (the fabric sheet softener) was good at repelling insects. Just pin some on your clothes.

I live in the country and when i mow i couldn't believe all the bugs and bees that came after me on the mower. I have actually jumped off the mower and ran to get away from wasps and bees. Thank heavens the mower automatically shuts off when your butt leaves the seat.

So i thought it was worth a try to try the Bounce. I pin it the front and back of my shirt and one on each pants leg. It works! My hubby and family laugh and tease me about it but i don't care. It has kept the flying bugs, wasps, and bees away from me for 2 summers. I also pin a sheet of bounce on me when i work in my flower beds.

You might give it a try.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:37:28 am »
Well, if somebody Mowed over MY honeypot, Id bee a little bit pissed off too....
Im reminded of a thread in another forum about Mosquito bites http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1518.0   and cant help but wonder what a Bee Sting or Wasp Bite would do given the " increased Immune Response"  to other bites. My yard is in full bloom and there are plenty of bees around ( along with butterflies BTW  8)  )
and a growing 'Mud Dobber' wasps nest on the front porch that needs to be dealt with so there's definitely a chance that Im going to get nailed . Did You have any unusual reaction to the bee stings ?  Well other than gassing the hive and setting your lawn ablaze. Im sure the Neighbors loved That... Maybe you could get one of those cool hats with the mesh covering your head or I could send you my Bug suit....    

Lwood
who knows that theres an HIVe joke in here somewhere but just cant manage it ...
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:44:31 am »
Randy,

Yep , I am not to crazy about bees and wasps and hornets. They love to get nests started every year, in between the slats of our gate entering the patio. ( it's the only way in) Last summer they got me good about ten stings at once , went running into the car, and had to wait till they settled down. They were buzzin around the car.

Ed's mother had a hive forming on a shed in her back yard, and askes me to look at it . It gave me the CHILLS. It was about two feet long and a foot wide. She ended up calling someone to get rid of it, at a cost of 300.00

Don't like that stuff.....

Take Care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:17:37 am »
Randy,

The world body will NOT tolerate your recent invasion and occupation of the Carpenter Homeland, you have inflicted THOUSANDS of casualties when you yourself admit only a few had attacked you.

We understand that in the late 90's you had to create a "buffer zone" and attempt to eliminate these ROGUE warriors who have infringed on your right to exist.  However this recent upheaval in violence will do no good.

Therefore, Condi Rice is coming over to broker a LASTING peace deal, you may have to give up the Bee Strip of land and move back to pre-1990 borders for this to work long term.

Also, we do NOT appreciate you using a weapon of mass destruction (the gas) on innocent civilians while they sleep.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Andrew
(who's pissing himself thinking he is so funny)
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:26:23 pm »
Bees! Bees! :o Sounds utterly horrifying. Can't stand the things.
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:22:07 pm »
BEE'S!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

We don't have that many bee's this year. My BF just put a hummingbird feeder out on the deck and we have hummingbirds again. BUT, they can't really feed from it because there are bee's around the feeding holes. I think bees can be fatal to hummingbirds. Those bee catchers work pretty good, I just need to get another one. You put bee bait in the thing and the bees can fly in but they can't fly out. MUAHHHHHHHH, LOL! Maybe try one of these. From now on, I suggest you don't mow over the bee hives! LOL, like you would know where they are.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline clarke

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 04:19:15 pm »
Hey! I'm a member of PETA too!

People who Eat Tasty Animals  ;)  :D  ;D  :o

Offline randym431

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 05:07:56 am »
Thanks for the advice and humor. If I knew where the things nest I'd avoid them but thats just it, they are hard to see till you know exactly where they are. And when running the mower, you dont expect it. I'm more worried in running over a bunny nest or other little furry ground critters than bee's. 
They know who I am. They know where I live. They probably even know there is a key under the mat.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 08:24:07 am by randym431 »

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 09:26:38 pm »
Sorry to hear about your bee trouble. Sounds like Yellow jackets, which are very aggressive ground-dwelling bee's, that we have here in NC and I'm sure they live in other regions. Try the gasoline thing again. Good luck to you.  Cristy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.