Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:03:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 465
Total: 467

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Miss P Has Nothing On My Toe Problem  (Read 11128 times)

Offline tednlou2

Miss P Has Nothing On My Toe Problem
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:37:05 am »
David whined so much about his jacked up foot.  I'm so much worse off.  Oh, cannot forget about Wolfie's foot.  I think I will require a hot, home nurse over this.  Does this qualify for the support group?  Ok, I'm kidding, obviously.  They both had bad injuries, for those who don't know.  But, this did gross me out a little.  I'm curious how many of you have issues with nail fungus?  Do you think HIV plays a huge role, and is it saying anything about the state of your immune system?  I mowed the hard today.  I noticed my big toenail was looking especially yellow and like something was under the nail.  I pushed on it and this lotion looking stuff came out. 

I use to have beautiful toes and nails.  My nails were smooth and shiny, just like my finger nails.  But, over the last few years, I noticed a yellowish color to the nails.  And, flaky nails.  My right foot is worse than the left.  You can especially see it in the sun.  That is why I rarely go without shoes.  It is embarrassing. 

I was just about to start the Vick's Vapo-Rub therapy.  I've had so many tell me that really works, but you have to do it everyday for several months or even a year.  The nail is loose, so I think I will lose it.  This is the same nail I lost a few years ago.  We were out on the jet skis and I was wearing those water shoes.  I banged my toe on concrete.  It turned black and fell off.

With the yellow color, some were asking whether something was wrong with my immune system, or whether I had diabetes.  I always answered that millions of people, especially men, have fungal issues with their feet.  All the while, I noticed they all had shiny, smooth nails.  I have read HIV can be a big factor.  They say a suppressed immune system has a hard time keeping the fungus in check, just like with other fungal issues with the virus.  Many sites say a fungal infection on your toenails could actually spread into the bloodstream, especially in those with AIDS or diabetes.  On the other hand, this does happen to many neg men.  I do wear shoes almost all day long.  And, I often sleep in my socks.  So, my toes never air out.  So, I've contributed to this.  Is this something to see a doc over?  I've heard others say they just want to prescribe those meds, which don't work all that well and can be hard on the liver.

For those who've had it, have you had success with certain treatments?  Rubbing alcohol?  Vick's?  Lotrimin?  I get cracked corners of my mouth sometimes, which is fungal.  Lotrimin always worked fast on that. 

So here is the pic.  It isn't very attractive.  You can see why I don't like to go barefoot.  You can see that besides being yellow, there is a collection of that goo under the nail.  Every time you think of me, you will now see this ugly toe in your mind.

Offline Pozdudesh

Re: Miss P Has Nothing On My Toe Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:02:05 am »
I had intraconzole oral solution for a year for my full blown OI cause by fungal..all my nails on the right feet started become flakey one year before my DX... Now my nails are all back to normal..

Chris

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:54:30 am »
Honey I love you, but this is nothing compared to the multiple surgeries and crippling problems Miss P has overcome.

Not even the fuck close.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:50:29 am »
Yellow toe nails can be an indication of serious underling health conditions so I would get it checked out ASAP .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:07:24 pm »
Tedderz, go see a doctor -- preferably a podiatrist.  I'm sure Miss P can give you a reference. ;)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 02:51:15 pm »
I don't understand why you haven't treated this problem much sooner.  Your nail shows almost a year of growth that is all yellowed and you wait until it oozes puss to ask if you should do something?  I'd start with your HIV doc, as you will probably need some form of treatment to get this under control.  Don't wait Ted, take care of this now.  You are far too young to ignore these issues if you expect to live to be an old geezer with HIV.  8)

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:14:14 pm »
Honey I love you, but this is nothing compared to the multiple surgeries and crippling problems Miss P has overcome.

Not even the fuck close.

Come on now.  Your response is like I was serious. 

Thanks for the replies.  I noticed they were yellowing for a while now, but the doc in the family and others said docs mainly prescribe those meds that don't work all that well and can be hard on the liver.  So, I thought I would just have ugly looking nails.  I will see the doc.  I never imagined this would happen.  I am actually hoping the nail falls off, because I've been reading how difficult it is to treat. 

As I said, I wear shoes all day and often sleep in my socks.  I jump into the shower and then socks and shoes right back on.  So, I didn't spend much time inspecting them.  Is this something to make an appointment ASAP?  Can a fungal infection on your toe turn into something serious?  Are those sites about getting into the bloodstream correct?  In any event, I am calling to make an appointment now.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 04:08:04 pm »
Come on now.  Your response is like I was serious. 

Thanks for the replies.  I noticed they were yellowing for a while now, but the doc in the family and others said docs mainly prescribe those meds that don't work all that well and can be hard on the liver.  So, I thought I would just have ugly looking nails.  I will see the doc.  I never imagined this would happen.  I am actually hoping the nail falls off, because I've been reading how difficult it is to treat. 

As I said, I wear shoes all day and often sleep in my socks.  I jump into the shower and then socks and shoes right back on.  So, I didn't spend much time inspecting them.  Is this something to make an appointment ASAP?  Can a fungal infection on your toe turn into something serious?  Are those sites about getting into the bloodstream correct?  In any event, I am calling to make an appointment now.

Hey Ted,

Talk with your doctor about this.  I had the same problem and took an anti-fungal med for about six months and it all cleared.  I didn't have any problems with the medication and there are various treatments.  You really want to take care of this, because yes it can infect other parts of your body and puss is your body's way of telling you to get the hell to a doctor and get treated.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:12:54 pm »
They are right Ted  , its not likely to get better without treatment and you cant afford to let an infection linger .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Fisher

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »
I've had toe nail fungus for 8 or 9 years, basically splitting of the big toe nail and some yellowing.  Recently, I decided to do something about it. Asked my doc. He had had it, too. On a script for terbinafine. Takes a long time to clear. But about a 3rd of the toe nail growing out looks fine, now. No idea whether or not this is related to HIV or not.
- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »
Tedderz, go see a doctor -- preferably a podiatrist.  I'm sure Miss P can give you a reference. ;)

I think Theodoro goes to a Univ. Medical Center so surely they have a podiatry section -- just go Theo -- shit or get off the pot. It's nothing to do with HIV.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:42:51 pm »
I had this problem with my left big toe. Went to podiatrist and he removed most of the nail and was put on lamisil tablets for about six months. Three months on and 3 month break, then last 3 months. You need to have a liver test because they can hurt your liver.  Mine was before my hiv diagnosis
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:17 pm »

As I said, I wear shoes all day and often sleep in my socks.  I jump into the shower and then socks and shoes right back on. 

I'll admit I know zilch about this, but shouldn't you let your toes breathe a bit to avoid fungus or at least help it get better? It just seems like always having your toes covered and not letting them get any air is not a good thing.

Socks while sleeping? Even in summer? come on.

Anyways, I hope it gets better soon Teddy.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 08:02:55 pm »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 01:30:22 am »
I'll admit I know zilch about this, but shouldn't you let your toes breathe a bit to avoid fungus or at least help it get better? It just seems like always having your toes covered and not letting them get any air is not a good thing.

Socks while sleeping? Even in summer? come on.

Anyways, I hope it gets better soon Teddy.

-W

I know.  I need to let the dogs get some air.  I've been doing that.  I've also been blow drying my toes after showering and at night.  I've been putting Lotrimin on it, too.  So far, no more gunk.  The nail is loose, because I can press down on it after a shower and water will come out.  We have been doing work to our pond.  With this issue, I felt it was a good idea to not go into the pond to do work, as I would have before.  I don't need some parasite or bacteria getting in there.  It has me thinking I should avoid bodies of water, and even swimming pools for now. 

Miss P, thanks for the doc link.  I called my HIV doc and they said they would get back to me.  I have usually used the medical offices at the university where the HIV clinic is, because every medical practice there has access to all my records.  But, I do have insurance and can go anywhere, so I was just thinking I would make my own appointment myself at a private practice. 

Offline Matts

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 02:51:07 pm »
maybe a 1hour footbath daily with Potassium permanganate or saturated Dead Sea salt solution can help, at least it disinfects very well.
Dovato

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »
Sorry, but that looks nasteh, Ted.  Get it checked ASAP. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline JAYSONWOO

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:17 pm »
I had intraconzole oral solution for a year for my full blown OI cause by fungal..all my nails on the right feet started become flakey one year before my DX... Now my nails are all back to normal..

Chris

hey, Chris, I am in shanghai. I have some question to ask you. Please mail me ASAP. thanks!!
jayson0302@gmail.com

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 04:03:11 am »

Miss P, thanks for the doc link.  I called my HIV doc and they said they would get back to me.  I have usually used the medical offices at the university where the HIV clinic is, because every medical practice there has access to all my records.  But, I do have insurance and can go anywhere, so I was just thinking I would make my own appointment myself at a private practice. 

So, did you go? -- it's been two months since you authored this thread.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 02:22:36 am »
So, did you go? -- it's been two months since you authored this thread.

I made an appointment.  They called to reschedule.  Can't get in until next month now.  The good thing is no more goo is coming out.  I've been blow drying my feet.  I've also been putting Lotrimin on it.  Not sure if that is doing anything or not. 

Offline darryaz

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 09:54:50 am »
Definitely address this with your doctor.  I had terrible foot fungus problems before getting Valley Fever. (Here's a link)  Now that I'm on high doses of anti-fungals, my feet look great again (I'm ready for sling pumps).  It took a couple of years for the feet to clear up (the nails had to grow out completely).

I think of my gorgeous feet as absolutely the ONLY upside to the whole Valley Fever adventure.  Fungus is nasty stuff!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:00:09 am by darryaz »

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 09:33:29 am »
I had/have the same problem with my left big toe.  You should go to a podiatrist and have them either remove the nail and start taking lamisil tablets.  Lamisil tabs have to be taken for about 3 months, you will have to get blood tests and all to make sure your liver is good because they can be rough on your liver.  As the nail grows back it will grow back normal.

There are other options as well like Laser, but I hear its expensive and not covered by insurance.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 09:36:37 am »
My yellow toe nail had nothing to do with HIV or immune system, I had this problem way before i became positive doctor said mine is probably from taking showers at the gym without wearing footwear.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 05:11:22 pm »
had similar problem many many years ago (way before poz)

Lamisil (you need an Rx) did a great job on me. Many doctors do not like to prescribe it, though... it worked wonderes, you could see a perfect progress horizontal line as the mail was growing.

Now, I read a paper (from equatorial country) that skin problems (in genral) are related to CD4/CD8 ratio.

This my be anectodal, but, recentlly, after starting treatment a bit of fungus had appeared under some corners of smaller toes nails. aas the CD4/CD8 went up, the fungus disappeared , even what was under the nails, hte most difficult part to treat, and eventhough my doc did not wan't to put me on LAMISIL. Since you are not under meds I can't see why you could not get a lamisil prescription.

Lamisil is a oral pill not to be mistaken with lamisilate (similar) but topical cream with no effect under neail

hope this helps

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.