Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:43:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 542
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 541
Total: 542

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any information on Castlemans Disease??  (Read 4186 times)

Offline supportive

Any information on Castlemans Disease??
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:51:53 pm »
Its been a while since i have posted, so much happening, husband has been getting frequent bouts of pneumonia. Now most recently he has been diagnosed with castlemans disease..they had a hard time finding out what was causing all the lymph nodes to enlarge and severe edema plus pneumonia..CD4-137 vl 88..and after 22 days in the hospital he's finally home, but on oxygen. Ive looked on the internet about castlemans and got some information on it but was looking for someone who has it and can give me some insight on it..thankyou so much.

Offline Realist

• NotDownNotOut's Blog
Re: Any information on Castlemans Disease??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:43:42 pm »
Hi Supportive,

I don't have this condition, or know anyone who has, but before I was diagnosed with HIV, I was investigated for a number of lymph disorders and this came up as a possible. From my understanding, Castleman's is extremely rare. The difficulty with those of us who have HIV is, along with HIV, the disease attacks the immune system (hence the ever more frequent bouts of pneumonia of your husband) and is caused by a herpes variant virus. So, essentially the body gets attacked twice.

The single site version is usually dealt with by surgically removing the lymph node affect. When multiple sites are affected (in the case of most HIV/AIDS cases) the condition is more difficult to treat, but starts with HAART and possibly an anti-herpes treatment.

The rarity of the condition makes it difficult to find others in the same position but there are some web links which you might find useful (although you may have seen them already). There are a number of studies being undertaken into the multi site version of the condition currently and there may be one in your local area that your husband would be eligible to join.

http://www.castlemans.org/patient-resources

https://www.castlemansresearch.com

Good luck.
23/02/10 Tests confirmed
25/02/10 13100 220 24%
12/03/10 19800 372 19%
26/03/10 Atripla
30/04/10 58 286 23%
28/05/10 45 222 21%
25/06/10 UD 301 23%
24/09/10 UD 283 22%
01/12/10 UD 319 23%
11/03/11 UD 293 28%
10/06/11 UD 423 24%
23/08/11 UD 389 26%
28/02/11 UD 315 34%

I blogged it all http://notdownnotout.blogspot.com

Offline supportive

Re: Any information on Castlemans Disease??
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:59:19 pm »
Thankyou Realist, i have been on the site castlemans.org , and yes from what i have heard it is a rare condition, our dr said he has only seen 6-8 cases in the 15+yrs in the field. They also changed his hiv meds from atripla to 3 pills, norvir, prezista,truvada. Really dont know what to expect from these new ones. He doesnt like taking the 3 compared to 1 but what choice do you have at this point. Having a hard time with this. Its alot to take in, in a 1yr time. But trying to stay positive and help him the best i can. Thankyou again for your response

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.