Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:35:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wow, Tripping on Atripla! :)  (Read 6899 times)

Offline RobbyR

Wow, Tripping on Atripla! :)
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »
I've been on this amazing medication for two years and no major complaints overall, but lately, WOW it has been trippy! Like, I have always had dreams at night, but you know how most dreams are sort of distant, like vague? Well these dreams I've been having lately are SO vivid it's amazing, and I remember them for hours afterward! And before you ask, no, I haven't done any illicit substances beforehand either! Haha. I would call these "play by play" dreams! It's like I close my eyes and immediately start dreaming, and it's like a script that plays out in my head, and there is vivid dialogue. Last night I dreamed I was at the dentist office and the hot dentist was sedating me for a root canal and he started morphing into a male stripper, it was like out of body while out of body! And I dreamed I was looking for my car, forgetting where I parked it, only to look into a mirror to learn that I had turned into a car myself! But the kicker was near the end of my dream when I dreamed I was seducing a WWE wrestler and it was so real that when I woke up I actually felt my body to see if there was any sex marks LOL! I've never had dreams this wild and vivid, I don't know why I didn't have them when I first started Atripla but I am not complaining! They are actually kind of fun, other than that one scary one when I was at a 17th century guillotine! Anyone else have crazy wild vivid dreams on atripla? I notice when I dream on it, I also have the sensation of warm, almost hot hands and feet, when goes away the next day..
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Wow, Tripping on Atripla! :)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:22:52 pm »
I did.
Bonus acid trips - you're lucky - enjoy them as long as they last.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:47 am »
Enjoy :-) but also consider switching, for this bonus is a side effect and affecting your sleep quality, even if it don't feel like that. The warm feeling is because (probably) efavirenz stimulates a part of your immune system called cytokines, which is just as if having flu or sommat. No-one knows what this phenomenon means long-term.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline vaguesbleues

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:50:13 pm »
I get these trippy dreams quite often on Atripla, as well.  The other side effects (drowsiness, strange buzzing feeling, dizziness, etc.) have stopped completely, but I still get the craaaaaziest dreams even after a year and a half.  I kinda like them :) Enjoy them!!
3/10/11 - HIV-
4/26/11 - Inconclusive WB
5/19/11 - HIV+, VL < 50, T-Cell 747 (30%)
6/13/11 - VL 345, T-Cell 841 (30%)
8/23/11 - VL 50,100, T-Cell 1155 (19%) - CMV
9/18/11 - Started Atripla
11/7/11 - VL 489, T-Cell 881 (31%)
2/8/12 - VL Undetectable!, T-Cell 772 (34%)
8/8/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1070 (42%)
11/5/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1174 (35%)
3/18/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 972 (28%)
10/4/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 1025 (34%)
2/9/14 - VL UD
7/31/14 - VL UD
1/29/15 - VL UD, T-Cell 1027 (32%)
9/15/15 - VL UD
10/21/16 - VL UD, T-cell 765 (39%)
4/28/17 - VL 29
8/17 - started Genvoya
10/27/17 - VL UD, T-cell 880 (35%)
3/30/18 - VL UD
9/28/18 - VL UD, T-cell 980 (34%)
4/19/19 - VL UD
10/18/19 - VL UD
10/22/20 - VL UD, T-cell 1005 (35%)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:58:46 pm »
I have been on Atripla since the dawn of time and I still get crazy dreams . I was briefly switched to another combo and when I switched back I got really nauseous for a time also . I thought it odd because I never had that side effect from it before . After a week or so the nausea subsided .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 07:46:24 pm »
Yeah I find it strange that I didn't ever have these wild dreams the first year or so I was on it, and am suddenly having them now. It's like when I dream, I don't feel fully asleep, but I do, if that makes sense. It feels like I am sort of out of body while I am sleeping. I am not complaining though! I do feel drowsy the next day, but nothing major. My latest wild dream was of me as a doll, living in a doll world, and a doll house, it was insane! lol. Interesting about what you said about it stimulating the cykotines, because lately I have been having these crazy sneezing fits! I will start sneezing and keep sneezing for several times! I don't think it's allergies because I never get those in the dead of winter, so that is an interesting observation.

On another good note, I get these constant hardons when I wake up in the mornings, which last for a long time! I also sometimes wake up in the night and am hard as a rock. My sex drive is through the roof so even though atripla is making me trippy, I am not complaining!   :)

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:04 am »

On another good note, I get these constant hardons when I wake up in the mornings, which last for a long time! I also sometimes wake up in the night and am hard as a rock. My sex drive is through the roof so even though atripla is making me trippy, I am not complaining!   :)

Yeah, I don't know why this isn't mentioned more with Atripla.  You would think they would want to advertise this instead of all the "it causes bad dreams" info.  Would definitely make people more interested in starting meds.   
Enjoy :-) but also consider switching, for this bonus is a side effect and affecting your sleep quality, even if it don't feel like that. The warm feeling is because (probably) efavirenz stimulates a part of your immune system called cytokines, which is just as if having flu or sommat. No-one knows what this phenomenon means long-term.

- matt

Thanks for this bit of info.  I have never heard this before.  Every day about two hours after I take Atripla I get soooo hot. It only last about 30-45 minutes and I have gotten used to it.  I have saved quite a bit of money on heating bills.   I had never seen this listed as a known effect. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:26:31 am by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:14:48 am »

Yeah I find it strange that I didn't ever have these wild dreams the first year or so I was on it, and am suddenly having them now.

It's not uncommon for people on a combo that includes Sustiva to sail through the first few years, then suddenly start having Sustiva-associated side-effects.

You might want to monitor your moods as well (or ask a close friend to keep an eye on you, often times people don't notice their mood swings that are apparent to everyone else) to make sure you're not having other, not-so-pleasant Sustiva side-effects. It never hurts to be aware of possibilities like this.

Please also be aware that the dreams, while fun, may eventually impact negatively on your quality of life due to a lack of solid rest. If it becomes a problem, you have alternatives to consider. Good luck!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »
Agreed. I've known plenty of people that don't develop the nasty, near suicidal, rage-like depression associated with Sustiva/Atripla until around the third year. It's like whatever is going on takes that long to screw up brain neurons or something. Actually I think that's one of issues why I don't like it -- most people won't associate it with the medication because of this delayed effect. And with people now going to their HIV doctor appointments on a six-month schedule that's a big time period before having the conversation with the doctor for most patients.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:57:59 pm »
These are all great points. I did try Complera on a trial basis for a week and a half, because of trouble falling asleep I was having. My doctor thought maybe my issues was underlying, not related to medication, but I never had sleep problems before I started Atripla. However, I noticed with the Complera, I literally could get no sleep at all! So it was worse for me than the Atripla, at least with Atripla I eventually fall asleep (although I feel really tired the next morning) and come to find out, Complera is notorious for insomnia! So why the hell would the doc have tried me on it given my issue? Anyways, I am back on Atripla now for the last month, and have noticed that I have moodiness and feeling down sometimes, mostly in the mornings, not sure if that is related to the medication. I am seriously considering asking to change regimens again, but this time to something besides Atripla or Complera, to see if that helps my sleep. It couldn't hurt to try! I do like Atripla overall, and the intense libido I have, except for the sleep issues and occasional feelings of sadness/malaise, which I can't 100% prove is related to the medication.

Miss P, you make a great point, I actually have been experiencing some crazy mood swings and feelings of anger and depression which is NOT like me at all, and I definately don't think I have a clinical depression issue, so maybe it is a side effect. I never really thought about that. But I will tell my doctor. I am thinking of trying a friendlier regimen, but just not sure where to start, or what to ask for, there are so many options! Some have suggested Truvada/Isentress or Intelence, or maybe the Quad..I guess I'll do some research about it. The brain side effects of Atripla do worry me some, but it has done well for me otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:01:58 pm by RobbyR »

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28:28 am »
Isentress has been noted to cause insomnia in some people.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
Do you know if anyone has linked this to integrase inhibitors in general? I'm on Stribild (it has elvitegravir), and it's hard to get much information. Everyone just says 'oh, those new ones don't have side effects' and then I just feel like I'm being a baby about it. I've mentioned in other threads, so maybe you saw my whining over there. It's hard to know what's a side effect and what's unrelated, but the main ones are food and sleep are both take-em-or-leave-em for the past, um, 2-5 weeks (?), and and lately (the past week) I often feel like I'm on a boat, like, the whole ground will just sway back and forth for a while. It's not *like* I'm on a boat, as in reminiscent. It feels exactly as if I were on a boat and moving several feet. Or sometimes down seems to be over to my left or right instead of, you know, down, where it's supposed to be. It's not terrible, and it's better than the alternative, so I'm afraid to make a big deal of it to the doctor. I'm more afraid of Atripla than this, so... Sorry - I'm re-reading this and it's a lot of stream of consciousness. Stribild activates some latent mania, I think. Ugh, and now I'm self-diagnosing. Blah. OK, I'd appreciate it if anyone knows anything about anything and can share.

Isentress has been noted to cause insomnia in some people.

Oh, and here's an article about recreational Sustiva: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/12/18/167523601/dangers-of-whoonga-abuse-of-aids-drugs-stokes-resistance

Regarding this:

Yeah, I don't know why this isn't mentioned more with Atripla.  You would think they would want to advertise this instead of all the "it causes bad dreams" info.  Would definitely make people more interested in starting meds.   

:) I was on a month of Sustiva (and some other things) as PEP therapy a few years ago, and damn that was some weird stuff.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline elf

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »
Melatonin is my friend.
I've no recollection of my Efavirenz-dreams since
melatonin puts me in a deep dreamless sleep more often tan not,
and I don't sleep for more than 7 hours to get REM rebound anyway.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.