Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 335
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PN with foot drop  (Read 6901 times)

Offline krakerjm

PN with foot drop
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:42:48 pm »
As much as I have progressed in the last several years, from wheel chair to walker and now cane, I thought progression had stoped.  My right foot came back eventhough  I still have all the strange undiscribale things going on with it, and my right foot is the only reason I can walk.  My left foot still drags behind and I have to be careful not to stumble.  It's been almost a year since I could move my left little toe and then my big toe on the left side.  Seemed progression stopped.  Suddenly I see my toes pointing up. not flat or down like before, all of them, even though I can't yet wiggle all the little piggies and still can't 'pat' that foot; just won't come off the floor, it's the first encouaging sign in ages.  Little triumps go a long way!
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline krakerjm

Re: PN with foot drop
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:55:48 pm »
P.S.  one thing I don't like about this new fomate, you can't go back and edit, I hurriedly misspelled 'triumph', and of course as much as this format works like email, there still is no spell check, lol, guess that's a little much to ask...anyway I am elated my left foot is no longer like walking on a peg(my ankle).  I have a huge calouse on my heel where my weight is cause I cant push with my toes; hopefully this is a sign of change for the good.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 03:04:41 pm »
Hey krackerjim,

There is a spellcheck here...its the big blue buttom at the bottom on the right hand side.

There are 3 blue buttons...Post....Preview...Spell Check

Glad your feet are getting better

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 03:58:10 pm »
my 'blue buttons' number about 5 and say nothing about spelling; I don't really care as long as we are communicating... opps, I see it, except it isn't blue, only a little blue highlighted circle anrond it... thanks anyway.  Just more concerned about my new discovery with progress which any one knows with PN is more than a milestone...
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 04:21:21 pm »
Jim, sometimes it's hard to remember everyone's story.  It's just easier to ask rather than trying to figure it out, so your problems due to peripheral neuropathy? Just mentioning the word progressed in your post made me think of myself and PML.  I to had the drop foot in my left foot and a hard plastic AFO seemed to help at least in my situation.  I can still remember the first time I could move my toes again.  I was laying in the bed trying so hard and it seems like out of nowhere they moved.  My partner was working out of home at the time and I started calling for him and he thought that something was wrong but when he came in the room I simply told him to look, look, look at my toes... they're moving :) I do understand and celebrate with you.

Take care and keep going
Jeff

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 04:51:48 pm »
Golly Jim,
It has been a very long time to hear such great news for you.
Doesn't it feel like a new, deep, breath of air?
I am so happy to hear this for you.
Big KISSES for your sweet cheek,  :-* 
Lisa
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 05:08:27 pm »
Jim,

It is great news indeed.
Little signs of progress can mean so much for us.

I had a dropfoot last year and still have a numb feeling in my right foot.

I have picked up hiking. And the stimulations to my bloodvessels seem to help.

Try to move as  much as you can.

Hug and hurray

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 07:06:42 pm »
I never really knew what a foot fetish was until I got PN.  You never really appreciate good feet until the day they just quit on you.  That happened to me again this morning as I was watering the garden.  One minute I'm standng, the next I'm picking myself off the ground for no goddamn reason.  <sigh>

So I can appreciate your wiggling of the toes.  Good news indeed.

robert

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:54:35 pm »
Hello Jim,

I remember asking you quite a while back, what "foot drop " was. Prior to my PN starting in my feet, I was almost stumbling at times. My feet were not hitting the ground properly. Well, that problem went away, then the Tingling, numbness and pain started in my feet. Welcome PN ! :(

I have some good days, and crappy days, as far as my feet goes. I am glad things are going better for you Jim, to go from the wheelchair, to a walker , to a cane is quite remarkable.

The Best-----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 12:06:46 am »
Hey Jim, that's great. The progress you have made is inspiring to me.

My PN hasn't caused the foot drop, although I catch myself stomping because some days I can't feel the ground under me.

Your post was a real upper.Thanks for sharing it.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 12:37:30 pm »
Now that the toes are reacting as they did early on in my right foot(the only reason I can walk); and they are pointing more upward means my foot will be reaching out for the next step rather than making me stumble or having to consentrate to lift that foot high enough to avoid stumbling.  Now maybe I can push off with the ball of my foot more on that side rather than walking on my painfully calloused heel.
Jeff, Lying in bed tring to make your toes or even foot move(early on) is no stranger to me; you give it all you got and nothing; I don't know if it just happens in time or all that effort helps, but I keep pushing...one day before I die, I am going to be steady enough on my feet to go off shore fishing again, right now I am an insurance risk for the party boats, so many people bouncing around.  It's gonna happan, I miss being out on the ocean, even wading at the beach is out of the question until I can maintain balance without a cane.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »
Well, Jim.

I am overjoyed with your progress, and now I don't have to ask when you will be going fishing, since you just brought that up finally.  I was so afraid that your dream of going fishing again was lost forever, but I see it is not, and I am one very happy camper. 

For all you guys.  I am in discussion with Body Positive, and am going to sign up for a short term study with PN.  I don't exactly know how it works but I will keep you posted. 

In Love and Longing for no pain.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 03:25:43 am »
This is good news Jim,

I have not been given a wheelchair or walker yet but when shopping at the grocery store, I always use the cart because it makes getting around easier.  Just a few short years ago, I had AIDS, lived in L.A. and could run two miles every day in the sand.

PN was a problerm in L.A. but the clinic took care of the problems until I had a relapse with the problems and was living in a remote little community with minimal health care.  The healthcare organization made a few referrals for an EKG, MRI and Physical Therapy for a month.  That was $12,000.00 charges to my Medicare account for an organization who could not interpret the data.

Sonoma County has the best ID doc in California and that is the reason I moved here.  The healing process is slow but I have almost stopped falling on my face.  I say almost because last week I was walking on a city sidewalk and went face forward because of a quarter inch portion of the sidewalk that was higher.  Scabs are almost healed too but my pride isn't.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Tim, Body Positive sounds very intriguing, please remember to give us the 411
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 03:27:41 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 03:36:18 am »
If you look at the bottom of your own posts there's this pencil & paper button.  If you click it you can edit your post there and then...

- matt

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.