Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 04:33:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 180
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Drug Regimen  (Read 9539 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
New Drug Regimen
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »
I'm glad to report that I'm doing great on my "new" drug regimen:  Prezista, Norvir, and Isentress.

I changed from Viramune, Emtriva and Ziagen a couple of months back.   This was totally done for "quality of life" reasons, not because my drugs were failing in any way.   I was just WAY tired of the G.I. distress that they caused me.   I still have some G.I.-related issues, (and am sure I probably always will) but I am glad to report that my symptoms are MUCH BETTER and I am tolerating these drugs well.

I will go for my blood work this week, then see the Dr. on the 17th of September to find out about "the numbers".  Hoping for good results...

HUGS, Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Online harleymc

Re: New Drug Regimen
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »
Glad things are on the up and up.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 06:20:51 am »
Alan, that's great the new meds are working out for you!  And who of us cannot attest to quality of life issues from meds?  Good luck with the upcoming labs, I'll be looking for the update! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 06:39:58 pm »
Good for you Alan  ;)  onward & upward  :)

Hugs

DEN
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
glad to hear the new meds are doing so much better for you. and you know those next lab results are going to be awesome!  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:17:03 pm »
Hey Alan,

Glad to hear that the new regimen is working for you.  Maybe / hopefully in time some of those GI issues may settle a little.

Good luck on the blood work this week.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:52:05 am »
Hey Alan,

That is great news. I hope your "new" regimen continues to be problem free.

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:34:10 am »
Hello Alan

I hope the lab results give you another boost.
And here's to all medics realizing that Quality Of Life Issues are VERY important.

Best to you
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »
overall, I got a very good report:   VL undetectable; CD4 = 600 (a good number for me)

We have a plan to work on my G.I. distress issues;  I am now taking a Culturelle probiotic capsule daily, and I am on a regimen of 20 grams of L-Glutamine daily for 2 weeks, then 5 grams a day for the next 6 months.   Hopefully, we can get my 'gut' back to normal functions.

My weight is up to 178 (high for me); I don't have a problem with the number, just the fact that my belly is WAY too big, and uncomfortable.   My goal is to work on reducing it, but all you LTS know how hard that can be.   Will let you know how I'm doing with it.

Thanks for all the well-wishes and notes of concern.

LOVE, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 07:49:21 pm »
Great news on the Cd4's, sweetie.  I totally understand about the belly.  I've been attempting to shrink mine a little as well.  It's difficult and I really don't know how much of it will go away, since a lot of it is lipo. 

Continued good luck, and I hope your GI issues get resolved with the new regimen! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »
Great results!  I'll let you know how to reduce that belly size issue as soon as I discover the answer.   ;D  I'm up to almost 150lbs and I have a big belly that bothers me. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 11:59:23 pm »
Hey Alan,

I know how you feel. I have the crix belly and a bit of the conventional paunch going on.

I guess that is a sign we are still in the pink, so to speak.  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »
Just to report in:

the daily probiotic and L-Glutamine powder have not miraculously solved all my problems (no surprises there, right?).  In fact, in some ways, I think it is worse.   I didn't take the L-Glutamine yesterday, because we were going to be on the road all day, and I didn't want to risk the dreaded 'accident'.   

You know, I have dealt with a multitude of 'issues' since being diagnosed HIV+ in 1987...major illnesses all through the 90's, damage from long-term use of powerful drugs, etc.  Lipo issues, skin issues, neuropathy issues, you name it; but of all of these, I can honestly say that all the G.I. problems /stomach issues have caused me more grief than any other thing related to AIDS, and for a longer period of time.
I keep telling myself I will just have to accept it, because I sure can't seem to change it....but it can sure affect your quality of life.   I find that I stay home a LOT now....

Hugs to all,
Alan

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »
Alan, I'm so sorry you're going through those damn GI issues.  I wish the probiotic would help.  Just know I'm throwing you kisses at this very moment. :-*

Betty

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 05:04:34 pm »
In fact, in some ways, I think it is worse.
very sorry to hear that!

hugs!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 12:52:03 am »
Hey Alan,

I understand completely. All those years of being gluten intolerant and not knowing it made those GI issues all to real to me.

I wish I had an answer for you. Know you are in my thoughts.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline mitch777

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:46 am »
Hi Alan,

i hadurts pretty bad GI issues about 4 or 5 years ago that lasted about 2 years.

changed my diet drastically but it wasn't easy.
stopped eating red meat, dairy, and high fat foods.

eventually (after 6-9 months) i slowly began to add more dairy (love cheese!) and seemed to tolerate it well.
then i tried the concept on red meat with some success but it still bothers me so i got to be pretty careful.
i take probiotics during the bad periods for 7-10 days and it seems to help.

i'm not really sure if you tried to modify your diet but it helped me.
learned to get more creative with chicken, turkey, lean pork, and fish.

i know how awful GI issues can be.

wish you well!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline deibster

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 04:48:10 pm »
Hello all,
I didn't realize it had been so long since I had been on the forum. I'm glad you're doing well Alan. I had persistent cramps five years ago; the doc even did two CAT scans and found nothing wrong. Two years ago they took me off of Kaletra, to try to prevent anymore lipodystrophy, & it was like a miracle, the cramps disappeared. Now, I say thank God for Prezista/Norvir. They can take all of their Kaletra ads, millions of dollars that could go to research, & shove them.
hugs, Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.