Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:04:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 638
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2 Broke Girls keeps improving. How else likes Ham & Cheese comedies?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
It was an instant top hit in the fall. I liked it but took a while to accept the ridiculous stereotype derived humor.  Also, Max and Caroline being thrown together was bound to feel like a heavy forced narrative during the first episodes, cause it was.

I think the writing keeps getting better and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jennifer Coolidge as Sofi Kachinsky.

There is a Laverne and Shirley vibe to it and I mean that in a good way.

The series seems nostalgic and hammy and contrived but I have good laughs everytime and it is rather topical and modern and even does feel New Yorky sometimes.

I'm liking hammy and cheesy series more and more. 

Do your tastes ever change with your moods, the year, the era?  Any good ham and cheese old timey but not stale, freshened up for today, TV to recommend?

I also like the very stupid frat humor of the 2 1/2 Men reboot. 

Mike and Molly

Hot in Cleveland

Big Bang is much better with the girls now around all the time. It is feeling very "Friends" to me though.

I fast forwarded through half the second season of Downton Abbey - I just like the Dowager Countess.  I hope Shirley Maclaine does a good turn next season.

Hip comedies have gone sour on me.  30 Rock. Not that funny anymore though I heart Alec Baldwin forever now.

Parks and Recreation, just kind of boring now.

Community got way way to clever and meta for me.

Modern Family - I like Sophia "Gloria" and her "family" but the rest can take or leave. Cameron is funny too.

New Girl - not a member of the Zoey fan club, moi.

Portlandia - totally blew it this season.

Enlightened had its squirmy moments ("No, please, don't go there you raging b*tch.... oh no shit she didn't....") but wouldn't consider it a comedy.

I am catching up on some old series now.  Weeds is fun.

____
Dramas:

There is a zombie like method of acting on Ringer and Revenge that I find funny and oddly compelling.  Madeleine Stowe is very amusing in the role.  (Another English hunk.  Joshua Bowman.  So many now.)

_______
Talk shows:

I have a net preference these days for Leno over other talk show hosts, though Conan is closer to my view of the world.   I like that Leno grills his conservative guests FLAT OUT on gay rights and marriage.  He says it so simply and like a nice grand-pa - "I don't get this fuss over gay marriage - it just seems like this is American and everyone deserves their equal rights."

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:56:15 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Re: 2 Broke Girls keeps improving. How else likes Ham & Cheese comedies?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:03:16 am »
Oh, and since Im sure NOBODY is watching (wink), Bree Van de Kamp just did a very impressive story arc as a sex addict / town tart.  Campy indeed.

Now I think they are ripping off the plot from Misery.  Orson is going to give Bree payback for making him do his time in prison, and being such a fucking hippocrite!!! now that furthermore she is an accomplice to murder and doesn't think about doing her own time.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:34 pm »
Looooove 2 Broke Girls!  I can't believe the things they get away with on a major network in the 8p hour with the raunchy jokes.   Hilarious.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:59:22 pm »
Have you watched Happy Endings?  It's hilarious.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:57:07 am »
I never liked Big Bang until a couple months ago, now I don't like missing episodes.

I also like to watch reruns of Seinfeld, which I never liked when it was popular.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »
I never liked Big Bang until a couple months ago, now I don't like missing episodes.

I also like to watch reruns of Seinfeld, which I never liked when it was popular.

This is exactly the case for me as well.  When Seinfeld was popular I was very "meh" about it.  I absolutely abhorred the Big Bang.  The only thing worse was 2 and a half men which is comedy for the lowest common denominator.  Now there are certain aspects of the Big Bang which I enjoy and I find myself laughing nonstop at the absurdity of Seinfeld.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »
Have you watched Happy Endings?  It's hilarious.

Hate it.  With a passion.

I also like the very stupid frat humor of the 2 1/2 Men reboot. 

Mike and Molly

Hot in Cleveland

Hip comedies have gone sour on me.  30 Rock. Not that funny anymore though I heart Alec Baldwin forever now.

Parks and Recreation, just kind of boring now.

Community got way way to clever and meta for me.

New Girl - not a member of the Zoey fan club, moi.

Portlandia - totally blew it this season.

Hate them all.

Same here.  Had always ignored it and now it's one of my faves.  I guess a lot of people are discovering this show now?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:48:51 pm »
Parks and Rec has gotten much better from when it began.  I think they could do without Rob Lowe, however.  It would save them money.  It is a smart comedy.

30 Rock has lost it's mojo over the last few seasons.  However, the one before last was very good.  They did a Batman Returns take off, which I thought was good.

The Office is okay, but not a comedy I would watch in reruns probably.  I never got into Community.  I do look forward to Modern Family.  Family Guy gets weird at times.  American Dad is actually the better show, but gets much less attention.  The Simpsons ran out of ideas a few seasons ago. 

I don't get the appeal of Two and a Half Men.  It is frat boy humor with one sex joke after another---lazy.  But, America obviously loves it.  Arrested Development was one of the best written comedies on TV, but was too smart for Americans I suppose.  They said research showed people couldn't relate to the characters and they wanted more love interests.  I like funny shows.  I don't like seeing romance comedies.  Will and Grace sometimes got too serious for me.  Seinfeld remains solid, but only after about 1993.  The earlier episodes weren't all that good, in my opinion.  Will and Grace remains one of the funniest shows.  It was smart and they did sex humor very well.  Yes, many complain Grace had one relationship after another--showing the romance and sex, while Will had to remain almost non-sexual.  But, I think it served a purpose of it's time, which was to get middle-America more comfortable with teh homos without scaring them off.  Like with Seinfeld, the earlier episodes aren't my favorite.  This was before the actors really developed their characters.  Karen's voice in the earlier episodes was not as funny as it would become.  Jack seemed too bitchy in the earlier episodes and would later become more silly with his relationship with Karen.  This was funnier, in my opinion.  But, every show takes time for the characters to develop.   

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:42:58 am »
RE. Hate with Passion

2.5 Men   there was a episode about having no money , sell the kid  thought I .

Early / mid Roseanne and Kramer at the time I loved.

I think animation get the best writers now, Archer amused , Cleveland especially when his wife goes ballistic  ,  all good visual Valium.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »
OK I will check out some of these animated series.  Used to love South Park, then went into a non-TV and missed entire seasons of many different shows and some series entirely.

From 86-93 is a lost period, for example. Only saw a bit of Twin Peaks because it was all the rage when I was on campus again for a few of those years.

98-2003 didn't see much American TV because we didn't have it on demand in Switzerland but I did catch Ally MacBeal and Sex and the City because you could rent it on DVD or see it on broadcast/cable a year delayed.

Its only when broadband really kicked in that I got into series again.

Here in Switzerland everyone pays a HUGE tv tax annually and they use this to produce local and national TV and to buy series and movies to show. 

My ex took the TV in 2007 and I never bothered to replace it.  Just pay my tax and download everything (still legal in switzerland) and figure my tax is paying into the media/entertainment business.

Now Switzerland it finally putting a LOT of local French programming out weekly as podcasts so Im watching this again.

We have online Zattoo for many channels in Europe.  Have to pay if you want good quality streams.  Swisscom will do direct streaming live TV too, via satellite or via fixed line, but got to pay.  Im already paying for the cable, I have a gizmo that can covert the cable to my computer and have live online tv too.

Too many options, I just flake out and can't deal.  Want to watch it exactly when.  Broadband just got MUCH faster and broader so now I can download HD series. 

Everything pops in HD!

Back to WEEDS now. Im starting season 3.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 06:58:33 am »
South Park and The Simpsons ---- Royalty , for consistant laughs and digs .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.