Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:21:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773211
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 444
Total: 447

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Omega-3 supplements make LDL go up?  (Read 23986 times)

Offline elf

Omega-3 supplements make LDL go up?
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:04:40 pm »
 ???
It is widely known that Omega-3 supplements make your triglycerides  go down, but they can make your LDL cholesterol go up, just in my case.

My triglycerides and total cholesterol jumped after I started taking meds, but my LDL cholesterol was fine.
After 6 months of taking omega-3 (3-4 g per day), my triglycerides went down (to normal), my total cholesterol stayed high, but LDL level increased to HIGH (5.1 mmol/L or 198 g/L).

Should I continue taking omega-3 supplements (3g of normal omega-3 supplements [by Twinlab] and 1 g of Lovaza/Omacor)?

Is that LDL increase dangerous?  >:(

http://www.medscape.com/infosite/lovaza/article-1

In some patients, LOVAZA increased LDL-C and ALT levels (without a concurrent increase in AST).

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Omega-3 supplements make LDL go up?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:07:08 pm »
Lovaza is highly concentrated fish oil and, therefore, is more than most people take.

I, on the other hand, take more milligrams of fish oil each day than is found in Lovaza. I take 6,000 mgs, or 6 grams, of fish oil daily.

That is the maximum the doctor told me is allowed for humans, so I guess that includes me. ;)

I would not cease my fish oil without first airing your concerns with your doctor. By and large, the good done by fish oil seems to outweigh potential bad.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline elf

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:03:08 pm »
Thanks my friend.  :)

Offline elf

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 02:20:45 pm »
I added Flush-free Niacin (from Swanson) to my diet,
and now my LDL is lower than normal :o
triglycerides are within the normal range, and
my total cholesterol is down to  6.5 mmol/l  [ 251.35344 mg/dl] from  7.1 mmol/l  [ 274.5553 mg/dl]
I'm taking Lovaza (3 capsules per day) and sometimes flax oil. ;)

Offline jewel3

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:48:55 pm »
???
It is widely known that Omega-3 supplements make your triglycerides  go down, but they can make your LDL cholesterol go up, just in my case.

My triglycerides and total cholesterol jumped after I started taking meds, but my LDL cholesterol was fine.
After 6 months of taking omega-3 (3-4 g per day), my triglycerides went down (to normal), my total cholesterol stayed high, but LDL level increased to HIGH (5.1 mmol/L or 198 g/L).

Should I continue taking omega-3 supplements (3g of normal omega-3 supplements [by Twinlab] and 1 g of Lovaza/Omacor)?

Is that LDL increase dangerous?  >:(

http://www.medscape.com/infosite/lovaza/article-1

i must agree...when it comes to dosage confusion and drug interaction, consult with your doc. sometimes it varies. i had the same problem when i switched to maxalife  fish oil caps but luckily i consulted with my doc first and he explained everything to me. good luck!

edited to remove a commercial link.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:32:51 pm by Ann »

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:21:13 am »
My total cholesterol has gone up but it's because my HDL is up from 1.0 to 1.6 (thanks to niacin).
My LDL/HDL ratio is normal.
I've added pectin tablets to my diet, as well as 750mL of diet orange juice (flavonoids make cholesterol go down), as well as 500 mL of tomato juice (lycopene inhibits the oxidation of LDL). I eat a lot of fish and nuts.

My triglycerides are normal (for the 1st time).
I take 3-4g of omega-3, usually 1g of Lovaza plus 3 g of regular omega-3.

I took 6g the other day, and my blood pressure was so low, and I was feeling like vomitting (although there was nothing to throw up, only water  :o). So, don't take too much of omega-3.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:30:04 am by elf »

Offline elf

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 02:21:11 pm »
 :-   http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html

''Are there safety concerns?

Fish oil is LIKELY SAFE for most people, including pregnant and breast-feeding women, when taken in low doses (3 grams or less per day).

Fish oil can cause side effects including belching, bad breath, heartburn, nausea, loose stools, rash, and nosebleeds. Taking fish oil supplements with meals or freezing them can often decrease these side effects.

Taking high doses of fish oil is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Taking more than 3 grams per day might keep blood from clotting and can increase the chance of bleeding.

High doses of fish oil might also reduce the immune system’s activity, reducing the body’s ability to fight infection. This is a special concern for people taking medications to reduce their immune system’s activity (HIV/AIDS patients, for example) and the elderly.

Taking fish oil supplements in larger amounts can increase levels of the “bad” LDL cholesterol in some people. You will need blood tests periodically to ensure LDL cholesterols do not become too high.''

:-\

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:25 pm »
The n−6 to n−3 ratio

Main article: Essential fatty acid interactionsSome clinical studies[5][12][13] indicate that the ingested ratio of n−6 to n−3 (especially linoleic vs alpha-linolenic) fatty acids is important to maintaining cardiovascular health. However, two studies published in 2005 and 2007 found that while n−3 polyunsaturated fatty acids are extremely beneficial in preventing heart disease in humans, the levels of n−6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (and therefore the ratios) were insignificant.[14][15]Both n−3 and n−6 fatty acids are essential; i.e., humans must consume them in the diets. N−3 and n−6 eighteen-carbon polyunsaturated fatty acids compete for the same metabolic enzymes, thus the n−6:n−3 ratio will significantly influence the ratio of the ensuing eicosanoids (hormones), (e.g., prostaglandins, leukotrienes, thromboxanes, etc.), and will alter the body's metabolic function.[16] In general, grass-fed animals accumulate more n−3 than do grain-fed animals, which accumulate relatively moren−6.[17] Metabolites of n−6 are more inflammatory (esp. arachidonic acid) than those of n−3. This necessitates that n−3 and n−6 be consumed in a balanced proportion; healthy ratios of n−6:n−3 range from 1:1 to 1:4 (an individual needs more n−3 than n−6).[18]Studies suggest the evolutionary human diet, rich in game animals, seafood, and other sources of n−3, may have provided such a ratio.[19][20]

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »
I can only speak for myself.  I have taken lovaza for about 2 years and my LDL actually fell down to 94 best ever.  HDL went from 27 to 36.  It's a real bitch getting it above 40!

Offline elf

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »
My LDL is normal now because I stopped taking Kaletra (I'm on Sustiva+Epzicom now) and I have lost 30 pounds in 4 months. I take phytosterol (1.5g) and generic omega-3 (6g) every day.  :) There are days when I have to force myself to eat (I have no appetite at all). If I don't eat anything, jogging is difficult, no fun at all, slow and boring. :( And I have no energy left to go to the gym.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:10:04 pm by elf »

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »
Great thread,

It's important to choose a quality fish oil made from a quality source of deep sea fish such as mackerel, tuna, salmon and sardines. 

Supplements that are demonstrated to promote mental health, healthy blood fats and reduce inflammation should contain specific omega-3 essential fatty acids, being eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

One capsule can be said to contain a 'gram' of fish oil, but unless it contains these omega 3's at effective levels then you might be taking mostly just fat, which could result in unwanted changes to your blood lipids.

You should also check for the levels of heavy metals in fish oil supplements, as all seafood contain heavy metals.  These can be eliminated from the body by taking Zinc supplements (or eating oysters).

There are lots of high quality fish oil supplements out there, including many that don't cause reflux or diarrhoea - check out - http://www.newyorkbuyersclub.org/

Most protease inhibitors and some NNRTI's can increase blood fats - so switching can be an option.

Fish Oil supplements have also been shown to boost the effects of anti lipid medication as well.

Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.