Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:03:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone for soy milk?  (Read 59503 times)

Offline DCGUY2007

Re: Anyone for soy milk?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2007, 03:01:28 am »
I'm lactose intolerant so I drink Lactaid milk. I also drink Soy milk in my cereal. I have gotten used to the taste. It isn't bad in cereal

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007, 04:27:43 am »
I LOVE SOY MILK!

ITS WAY BETTER THAN COWS MILK!

HAS MORE PROTEIN TOO! I MEAN I HAVE OTHER WAYS TO GET MY PROTEIN BUT VANILLA SOY MILK BEATS THE OTHER OPTIONS.

I ONCE READ IN AN ARTICLE THAT STORE BOUGHT COW MILK (non organic) IS ABSOLUTELY BAD!
THIS IS GOING TO SOUND GROSS BUT SUPPOSEDLY IT HAS PUSS!
IT WAS READING THIS FROM A PETA THING THAT WAS IN MY BIOLOGY/ENVIRONMENT CLASS.
SUPPOSEDLY THAT COWS NIPPLES GET SO WORKED AND SO OVER MILKED THAT PUSS BUILDS INSIDE AND WELL SOME PORTION OF THE MILK IS PUSS.

EVER SINCE I READ THAT I HAVE BEEN DISGUSTED!
I BUY VANILLA SOY MILK. (THE OTHER FLAVORS ARE WEIRD TASTING)
IF YOU LIKE COW MILK SPEND THE EXTRA $1.00 ON ORGANIC. I REALLY DOUBT YOU WANT COW PUSS IN YOUR MORNING CEREAL.

Offline ElGreco

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2007, 04:34:10 pm »
I live in Greece and soy milk it's a relatively new trend here. I have tried an organically made soy+rice powder milk that's imported from Germany. It has a mild sweet aftertaste due to rice powder ingredients. Since I developed a lactose intolerance due to my meds, I am going to switch to that type of milk when eating cereal.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:43:48 pm by ElGreco »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 07:29:55 pm »
Soy milk? Revolting stuff. With a flavour and texture not unlike that of over the counter antacids, soy milk is truly an abomination.

It amuses Matty the Damned that vegans, people with allergies, those in search of "natural organic diets", religious weirdos and other undesirable sorts sing the praises of this noxious fluid. Obviously they've never seen it being made. The things that one has to do to a soy bean to turn it into "milk" would cause them no end of grief.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2007, 07:42:55 pm »

I ONCE READ IN AN ARTICLE THAT STORE BOUGHT COW MILK (non organic) IS ABSOLUTELY BAD!
THIS IS GOING TO SOUND GROSS BUT SUPPOSEDLY IT HAS PUSS!
IT WAS READING THIS FROM A PETA THING THAT WAS IN MY BIOLOGY/ENVIRONMENT CLASS.
SUPPOSEDLY THAT COWS NIPPLES GET SO WORKED AND SO OVER MILKED THAT PUSS BUILDS INSIDE AND WELL SOME PORTION OF THE MILK IS PUSS.

EVER SINCE I READ THAT I HAVE BEEN DISGUSTED!

A PETA thing.  Now there's an unbiased & reliable source of information, I'm sure. 

AND WHAT'S WITH ALL THE SHOUTING, JESSICA?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2007, 07:49:44 pm »
A PETA thing.  Now there's an unbiased & reliable source of information, I'm sure. 

AND WHAT'S WITH ALL THE SHOUTING, JESSICA?

CAN YOU PICK ON SOMEONE YOUR OWN AGE.

I LIKE WRITING IN CAPS. I MEAN THIS FORUM CAN ONLY CONTROL OUR ACTIONS TO A CERTAIN DEGREE. THEY CANT CONTROL OUR FONT.
HAVE A GOOD ONE!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2007, 08:08:36 pm »
Actually Jessica,

Typing in all caps ALL THE FUCKING TIME is considered to be rude and juvenile. You don't have to shout, your gayness can be seen from space.

Why don't you just knock it off already?

::)

MtD

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2007, 08:24:41 pm »
HOW ABOUT YOU TOO PICK ON SOMEONE YOUR OWN AGE AUSSIE MAN!

GO PLAY FETCH OR SOMETHING.

I CAN TYPE IN CAPS. ITS MY STYLE OF WRITING. YOU CANT CONTROL THAT MR.SISTER.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2007, 08:27:55 pm »
Listen Swishy Pete,

You're not popular enough to be annoying. So why not dial down the squealing twink routine and observe standard forums etiquette?

MtD

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2007, 08:32:22 pm »
Listen Swishy Pete,

You're not popular enough to be annoying. So why not dial down the squealing twink routine and observe standard forums etiquette?

MtD

Look you BOOMERANG shooting beast. How about you try to back off me and mind your own business instead of trying to pester my life with your imprudent remarks.
if you have nothing better to do go kill an alligator or kick box a Kangaroo! ;D

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2007, 08:43:31 pm »
CAN YOU PICK ON SOMEONE YOUR OWN AGE.

I LIKE WRITING IN CAPS. I MEAN THIS FORUM CAN ONLY CONTROL OUR ACTIONS TO A CERTAIN DEGREE. THEY CANT CONTROL OUR FONT.
HAVE A GOOD ONE!

That's a heck of a way to speak to me.  The rest of this crowd was over you yesterday.   I was giving you an extended line of credit.  Because I'm sweet like that.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2007, 08:46:27 pm »
Timmy,

Let it go. She doesn't know any better.

MtD

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2007, 08:46:47 pm »
That's a heck of a way to speak to me.  The rest of this crowd was over you yesterday.   I was giving you an extended line of credit.  Because I'm sweet like that.

Hey the crowd doesnt pay my bills so I can do without them too, but I prefer to stick it out and read all the interesting point of views and in the process learn a thing or two.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2007, 08:56:52 pm »
how appreciative of you.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 01:39:46 am »
Hmmm, guess drinking milk or soy does bring out the BEAST (Moo) or NUTS (Beans) in you.  ;D

Actually, making of soy milk is pretty straight forward as I have already mentioned and provided the method earlier in this thread. Contamination of food applies to any food if it were meant that way by unscrupulous manufacturers, so it's not really correct to just pick on milk and soy alone.

Incidentally, it's a cyber known that continuous CAPS are considered shouting if not just used to highlight an expression. The forum and the usual good people here are simply stating an observed goodwill to make reading easier on the eye so no need to turn a simple thread into a battle ground. We have enough violence in this world already, so leave those poor cows and beans alone, WILL YA !!??? :D :-* 8)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2007, 01:56:38 am »
Hey Merlin,

I never thought I'd be grateful to see a thread about soy products get back on topic, but there ya go. ;)

Actually, making of soy milk is pretty straight forward as I have already mentioned and provided the method earlier in this thread. Contamination of food applies to any food if it were meant that way by unscrupulous manufacturers, so it's not really correct to just pick on milk and soy alone.

I once had the grand misfortune to see the commercial production of soy products including "milk". It was horrific. Hydrogenisation is truly a revolting thing. I'm sure that it's different when you strain the extract of organic soy beans soaked in the purest water from the cave of the Bhutanese ice leopard or what-the-hell-ever but that factory visit fixed me on soy.

Oh and the truly horrifying taste of the stuff.

-shudder- ;D

MtD

Offline Merlin

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2007, 02:10:18 am »
Hey, Matty, that didn't happen to be in China or did it?...damned like u say it..lol ;D

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2007, 02:15:32 am »
Nope, right here in the Grand Old Land of Oz. But then Matty the Damned is familiar with the disgusting things the Chinese claim to be food.

Sometimes soy sauce, ain't soy sauce . . .

Yum!

MtD

Offline Merlin

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2007, 02:29:22 am »
OMG!!! Does that mean the reverse is true????....my hair is actually made up of soybeans?  :o
Cool....Me wan U call me Bob Marley then.. :D

Sweet...

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:51 pm »
OK, I bought some Kefir, thought I would give it a try.

Nobody warned me about the consistency of that stuff.

All I have to say is, "Ewww."

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2007, 07:40:21 pm »
OK, I bought some Kefir, thought I would give it a try.

Nobody warned me about the consistency of that stuff.

All I have to say is, "Ewww."

HUGS,

Mark

gotcha :P

Offline Merlin

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2007, 05:26:12 am »
Mark, where did u buy the Kefir? Make sure they are grains and not in powdered form. This topic should be discussed in the Kefir thread though. ;)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:00 am »
Soy milk, soy milk all for me!
I drink so much it makes me pee
My palate is cow tit mucus free
Cuz don't need cholesterol, fat, bovine growth hormone and other animal drugs, Posilac, lactose, antibiotics and Christ knows what else in me!

Offline Merlin

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2007, 01:02:09 pm »
Like everything else, all has its pros and cons.

Moderation is Key!

;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:04:09 pm by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2007, 09:13:43 am »
Cuz don't need cholesterol, fat, bovine growth hormone and other animal drugs, Posilac, lactose, antibiotics and Christ knows what else in me!

I've got something to put in you, and it'll make you feel mahhh-velous!

....crunching away on my muesli mix with raspberries and chocolate soy milk here.....

"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline nikki

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2007, 04:36:35 pm »
Yes, I drink Silk. Make sure you get the one that has 15 grams of carbs or less. Some brands contain too many carbs and fat. The one I drink has 3 grams of fat and 10 grams of carbs. I also purchase low fat tofu and marinate it with garlic, parsley. turmeric, paprika, and dry mustard. Then I broil it in the toaster oven. 

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2007, 12:44:31 am »
Yes, I drink Silk. Make sure you get the one that has 15 grams of carbs or less. Some brands contain too many carbs and fat. The one I drink has 3 grams of fat and 10 grams of carbs. I also purchase low fat tofu and marinate it with garlic, parsley. turmeric, paprika, and dry mustard. Then I broil it in the toaster oven. 

Hey Nikki,

Don't get me wrong, but how in the world do you get too much fat from soy milk and tofu? They have little or no fats to begin with and no animal fats - or animal proteins for that matter.

Just wondering.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline nikki

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2007, 07:23:39 pm »
I took three classes with ADA beginners, intermediate, and advance for insulin pump wearers. During our discussion a student inquirered about soy. The nutritionist  had about 10 brands of soy milk (west soy, silk, Whole foods brand, etc) and tofu .She distributed the containers for us to read and yes some brands have more fat and carbs than others. And yes silk makes a unsweetened brand and a nonfat brand as well as west soy and a few others. Low fattofu and soy is partically good for those with reflux.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2007, 02:15:14 pm »
Hi All,

I don't want to beat a dead soy bean, but there is more at stake here than one's own taste.

"The hormones in cow's milk are potentially far more harmful than those in plants", says Dr. Justine Butler

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1839434,00.html

which rebuts this- http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1828088,00.html

There is a fascinating story here where health, politics and the power and profit of corporations mix.  You can see some of this on the wikipedia site for soy milk- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_milk

This would make a great book or article...

Best,
Drew

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2008, 09:22:44 pm »
Silk just came out with a *very* vanilla soy milk, it's SO AMAZING I LOVE IT SO MUCH. And the store down the street sells it. I literally go through about 3 cartons a week.
[.Fodão.]

Offline HereIAm

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2008, 10:27:28 pm »
I love it too and have even before this now, new to me, hiv!  Soy is fabulous.
Tested Positive 10 Sept 2008.
24 Sept 2008:  CD 4: 23;   1%;  VL: 770,709
1st Oct 2008:  Started Atripla
4 Dec 2008:  CD 4: 145; 8%, VL: 209
1 March 2009:  CD 4: 91; 8%, VL: 49 (undet)
1 June 2009:  CD 4: 164; 11%, VL: 61
8 July 2011:  CD 4: 286; 17%, VL Undet
28 Oct 2011: CD 4: 346; 21%, VL Undet
2 Mar 2012: CD 4: 316; 20%, VL 6800 (probably an error)
12 Apr 2012: CD 4: 333; 21%, VL Undet

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2008, 10:52:50 pm »
yummy... thread revival!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28:37 am »
I can't imagine why you'd post on this thread....  you only eat and drink souls.

LOL.

-joseph

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2008, 05:08:31 am »
Soy milk tastes awful IMHO. Fortunately a lot of treated lactosefree dairy products have become available in the last few years which have almost the same taste as the non-treated, from-the-cow-product. Since I don't have any ethical problems with dairy products I have no need for the soy or oat-based substitutions.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32:14 am »
Soy milk gives me rank, room clearing gas.....

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2008, 02:39:14 pm »
Soy milk gives me rank, room clearing gas.....

That's hawt!

-joseph

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2008, 10:47:40 am »
Thought you would like that     ;)

Offline Texan38

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2008, 08:24:24 pm »
I'm lactose intolerant and before I even knew about Soy Milk..I never drank it. After years of not drinking milk, I tasted Vanilla flavored Silk Soy Milk...and IT'S WONDERFUL! Now I'm drinking soy milk and getting my calcium....It's the best!
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline bear60

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2008, 11:23:13 am »
Hi Tex
I'm glad you found a substitute to cows milk. But, as with all foods and beverages, its important to know what you are drinking.  Specifically, that, in itself, soy beans do not contain much calcium and it is ADDED as a supplement to the soy milk.  Reading labels is a good idea to make sure it is calcium fortified.  My partner, Kurt who is experiencing all the problems associated with lipodystrophy has been taking calcium supplements for awhile now.  He is not lactose intolerant, but drinking milk ( well, not so much drinking it as using it on cereal)  does not provide him with enough calcium.
Check with your nutritionist to see if you are getting the proper amount of calcium.
Good luck.

Joel
modified to add: I checked with Kurt and he is taking 600 IU of calcium daily, as a supplement, because he has osteoporosis.

Soy foods are the only plant-based complete proteins. One cup of unfortified soymilk contains almost 7 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbohydrate, 4½ grams of fat, and no cholesterol. Although soymilk supplies some B vitamins, it's not a good source of B12, nor does it provide a significant amount of calcium. Since many people substitute soy beverages for cow's milk, manufacturers have offered fortified versions. These varieties may include calcium and vitamins E, B12, and D, among other nutrients. If you choose soymilk, read labels carefully to be sure you're getting enough of these important nutrients.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:53:20 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.