Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 05:01:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla and fatigue  (Read 15651 times)

Offline cowpoker63

• Poke
Atripla and fatigue
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:25:28 pm »
Hello to everyone. I just started reading the post on here and thought I'd give it a try. I've been hiv+ since 1985 when my blood tested reactive, back then thats what they called it instead of pos and neg. I am atripla only and was wondering if anybody else suffers from extreme fatigue and what helps? I know drink Red Bull, which does work for awhile but, sort of makes my stomach feel woozy. Any input would be appreciated.
cowpoker

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: Atripla and fatigue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:25 pm »
Welcome, welcome Mr er Cowpoker,

Would need a bit more info like do you work? diet ? etc before I would make any comment about your fatigue issues, however I would say that the majority off LTS have them.

I tend to see mine as a warning shout , double up the attention I pay to rest and diet ,if it continues and I cannot pin point any reasons I have my bloods done then discuss with Doc.

The out off these discussions and findings have been varied, therefore the treatment has , I have used Red bull in emergencies but find theres a kind off pay back almost like a speed or E come down disconnect and its messes up my appetite which is fragile anyway.

Anyway there are folks who are much more Knowledgeable bout these things than me but I think they would also need more info.

welcome again

theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline cowpoker63

• Poke
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:52:22 pm »
Thanks bubb...I've talked to my doc about it already and he states about the same that it's basically a side effect of meds and my body fighting all these years. It does seem to get worse as I head up toward the 30 year mark to the point I sleep 14 or so hours a day, sleep, get up for a few hours, then back to sleep. I do need to eat better but, it's hard to do when your sleeping all the time. Thank you for the reply..poker
cowpoker

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:35:09 pm »
Did he or she mention depression, it certainly was the case for me at least twice, Have you had any illness that would also contribute to your bodies exhaustion? Life does sound well, bloody boring with that sort off day,especially day in day out.
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline cowpoker63

• Poke
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:04:12 pm »
Howdy Theyer..yes he did and I know I'm depressed, not because of hiv but more the fact I had to come back to Ohio..I always lived down south, Galveston Island, Tx for 15 years, New Orleans for a few and now I had to come back here. I did read an aricle somewhere about long termers suffer from extreme fatigue. I think it was in Poz mag. Atripla doesn't help any either since my sleep is all screwed up anymore. My doc wanted me to take anti depressant but that was to gain weight but I've always weighed in the 150  range my whole life so I decided not to take them since I still weigh 148. I don't want no more pills than the one I take now. Someone suggested I get my testosterone level checked.
cowpoker

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:04 am »
Hey Poker,

Welcome aboard!

I found out I was a pozzie in 85 as well.

The fatigue is something I fight daily. I don't have any real answers. I have tried coffee, other caffeinated drinks and even caffeine pills.

I have found that forcing myself to maintain a regular sleep regimen helps. Getting regular sleep seems to help me stay a bit more alert.

I also find that if I eat  more healthy diet and get some exercise, it helps keep ti at bar somewhat.

These are all helpful, but, nothing really alleviates the fatigue.

At least you know you're not alone. Glad you have joined in here.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:39:14 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline cowpoker63

• Poke
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:56:36 pm »
Thanks Az..I have changed my lifestyle a lot in the past couple years..I used to be a big time bar fly..start at happy hour and wind up closing the place down...remember those days..lol..I feel better just communicating with others with the same problem..I actually listened to Brittany Spears new cd that I downloaded 4 months ago..if that is getting back to life..its actually a pretty good cd. Thanks for your input..greatly appreciated.
cowpoker

Offline deibster

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:20:08 pm »
I got fatigue just from the virus. The fatigue is the reason that I went to get tested AGAIN in Jan 1993 & I was poz. I've been on Concerta, a prescription speed, for years and also had my thyroid levels tested recently. Now, I'm on a thyroid medication, in addition to Welbutrin, an antidepressant that helps to increase energy levels. I'd suggest talking to your doctor about a prescription if the fatigue is that bad.
In brotherhood, deibster
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline cowpoker63

• Poke
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:14:57 pm »
Thanks Diebster..Im going to talk to him about that, I only see my doc once a year now and I just seen him this month. The fatigue seems to come and go, comes on for a few days, then I still feel tired but, I'm able to get stuff done. Like I said though, I have been poz for almost 27 years now that I know of for a fact. Before I met the dude that I am pretty sure I got it from, I was in the Navy and was "straight" then..lol. I was thinking of joining the gym and taking up some speed walking or light jogging, get a little more exercise. Take care of yourself and thanks for your input.
cowpoker

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 06:46:04 am »
Atripla is great, but for some the side effects sucks.  I was on it for several years, about five, and I am off it and on a new regiment for HIV medications that do not cause fatigue and the foul bowel smell.  Now I have more energy and no depression, physical or mental.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline deibster

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:13:47 am »
That's not fair, red Dragon!  If you've found a regimen that doesn't cause fatigue, depression or stinky gas, you've teased us. Since you have an anonymous screenname (not like mine, if you ask at the ASO in PTown it'll take them 1 minute to figure out who deibster is), please tell us, what is this magical regimen.
Hugs, deibster ;)
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline Nancy

• No one belongs in jail for a Plant!!!
    • The Human Solution International
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:01:49 pm »
I just had them take me off Atripla because of the extreme fatigue (or so I thought).  I've been taking Sustiva in one for or another since '03 and it's 'hang-over' was hanging on for a couple hours every morning.. so if I had to be up early and go somewhere, I didn't take the pill (s) the night before.

They put me on Complera combo, so it's the same drugs with only changing the Sustiva portion of it.  So far, after 2 months, I'm still tired... had all my labs done and they found that I'm EXTREMELY low on B12 and D... started B12 shots yesterday and ordered to take 1000 of Vit D daily.  I've also got extreme depression, but I have one of those freaky systems that don't react like the majorly of the population to drugs, so that so far, none of the antidepressants are working...

I still think the Sustiva is the major culprit
Deborah Cadigan-Little
Diagnosed Oct 1993
Member since Sept 2002
Meds Dec 2003

Offline Aljosha

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:58:26 pm »
Hi all. I´ve been on Atripla for 10 years. Always had problems with Fatigue but now is worse than ever. Nothing helps me, neither excersice or sleeping more.

I´suspect the reason is Atripla as I have Fatigue since I take it (suspected also from smoking or HIV ). I´m thinking about changing meds. I did not do it before because i wanted to stay on the same regimen as long as posible but the problem with fatigue is really bothering me.

DRAGON: Wich is the new regimen youre taking?

Best regards

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:58 pm »
I've been on Atripla for about 8 or so years. Had fatigue but never associated it with the drug. Turns out I had sleep apnea. So...try to get your doctor to order a sleep study. Your fatigue might be due to lack of sleep. If the sleep test comes back negative then you'll at least know it's not lack of sleep that's killing you. But if it comes back positive then you will have something new to work on and maybe overcome your lack of energy.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 10:31:15 am »
Hi Aljosha,
Welcome to the forums.
I have never been on Atripla but was on Sustiva many years ago.
If i remember correctly I had really bad insomnia and sleep issues . I was still working full time and couldn't function so it was short lived.

I am now on Genvoya and have noticed no side affects, but that is not to say i do not
suffer from fatigue. I think being tired comes with age and living with the bug for 30 years. Why not talk to your doc about a med switch and see if it helps  ?

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.