Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who All Really Knows?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
Who All Really Knows?
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:22:30 pm »
When I received my HIV+ result last week there of course was a little bit of a paper trail already at that point.  The clinic I was at had contacted me to get tested which meant from just my cell phone number that was given to them they were able to get my name and date of birth.

In the paperwork I have had to fill out they have required my drivers license number and social security number, along with my current address.

So my question is, where do my results go?  Obviously the case worker that I met with knows, but are they required to report all of my information to some database?

I guess my concern grows out of what's public information?  Is it possible for someone to go online and cross reference some information to pin point me as being HIV+?
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline Pilot

Re: Who All Really Knows?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:30:19 am »
From what I have read, yes your in a data base or bases but the info is  put in under a number assigned to you and not your social security number. One state wanted to use the ss number as your identifier but met resistance when they could not prove they could not be hacked and the info used to injure someone.  Your personal info is not available to just anyone.  If your not sure, then just ask your case worker where the info goes and who has access.  I am sure they will be glad to tell you.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:37:00 am »
In the paperwork I have had to fill out they have required my drivers license number and social security number, along with my current address.
This sounds, since you talked with a case manager, like you've been signed up to be a patient at the clinic. If that's the case, just like any doctor's office, they need that information for billing and client-data tracking purposes. Did you also sign any confidentiality/disclosure forms? I agree with Pilot. You should contact this case manager and find out exactly why you gave this information and for what purposes. Of course, since you already gave up this information, it's already out there; but at least you'll know where it's gone.  ;)

On the other hand, many states have contact-tracing programs and HIV reporting programs (often name-based). The anonymous contact-tracing is where you supply names of past partners so the health dpt can contact them and suggest that they get tested. This program works great in helping infected people get tested early. This kind of program is done for all STIs. The name-based reporting reports an HIV positive person into the state database. This allows the state to show and verify how many people they have who are HIV+, which helps determine how much state and federal funding a state can get and/or use to treat those patients. Other diseases have been tracked this way for funding purposes.

So don't be surprised if your local health department contacts you soon about your HIV diagnosis. They may want the names of sexual partners, and to talk to you to make sure you understand the importance of an HIV diagnosis and of treatment.

While both programs have often caused consternation for the patients/clients involved, HIPAA laws apply so privacy is legally protected. These programs have been in place and used for over 30 yrs with HIV and even longer with STIs.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:43 am »
CDC HIV Infection Reporting provides details, and all 50 states currently employ the same confidential name-based reporting standards for surveillance data. As it says, four years ago this wasn't the case in terms of data collection consistency. That said, they also use very stringent privacy safeguards, so you shouldn't worry about any of this in my view. You can also use the search function in that link and look for "privacy" and find other links if you need more assurance.

If you are going to worry about anything, I think it would be more along the lines of stipulating how a doctor and his/her office contacts you personally. All intake forms I've encountered in the past have a place to state how they contact you and what information they might leave on a phone to address any patient's privacy concerns.

Joe Blow on the internet, whether it be a friend, family or someone at work, will never be able to access any of this information.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:14:26 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »
I pretty much figured it was for CDC purposes.  Let's face it, it's not like I would be running for public office and worrying about it coming out.  My main concern was it being listed by simple google searches which sounded pretty far fetched to me to begin with.

10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:48:12 am »
Years ago, I worked in a hospital for a while. It was quite an eye-opening experience in terms of confidentiality.
Although I was only some sort of intern, I was given unrestricted access to the lab records of all patients ever treated in that hospital. This was in a small town where everyone knows everyone. I witnessed, on several occasions, how the nurses did HIV tests of patients they suspected or knew to be gay without their consent. This is illegal in my country but no one seemed to care. And the medical personnel didn't seem to be too bothered by confidentiality concerns either. They did gossip a lot so that some patient's information left the hospital.

I was quite horrified.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.