Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:58:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 240
Total: 243

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is causing the yellow eyes? the reyataz or the norvir?  (Read 10389 times)

Offline panda

What is causing the yellow eyes? the reyataz or the norvir?
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:33:06 am »
hi, my dr. just switched the kaletra to reyataz + norvir.
Last time I had this combination I developed high bilirubin and my eyes became yellows.
I was told here this is only temporaty.
My question is :
1.Which one if the drugs cause for the yellow eyes? norviv or reyata?
2.How long does it take before the yelow goes ? last time I was on bilirubin 4 and then we switched but my dr says the drugs compay says with these drugs its ok untill having bilirubin 5

I would appreciate any of your experiense

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: What is causing the yellow eyes? the reyataz or the norvir?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:38:06 am »
Hi Panda

The Reyataz is the culprit, I had the same thing, eyes and face turned a nice mustard color but it only lasted a 7/10 days, I wouldn't worry about it..as they say this too will pass.. ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Being Swiss

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:00:06 am »
Hi Panda!

Yes, it's Reyataz! And please don't worry: Reyataz is a very good PI. Hardly any side effects; I never had any  problems, while Kaletra was poison for my HDL, LDL, triglyceride - or whatever may cause a heartattack or a stroke. Believe me: It does most of the work for an old Swiss fag.

Bruno
The best-looking Swiss gay my mum could produce. She was rather in a hurry...

Offline panda

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:02:06 pm »
thank you so much .. I think last time my yelowness lasts more then 10 days. What was the higher level of bilirubin u got ? and did it realy fall down after ?

Is the kaletra cause also for the lipo ? i mean the fat accululation ?

My fat profiles looks horrible. I had to do this switch Only I am so scared to have this yelowness again and I hope this time it will pass...

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »
If you stay yellow on Reyataz this usually means you have high drug levels, and can try, with careful monitoring, dropping the Norvir. This may mean a higher dose of Reyataz, but should help with the yellowing. You can get PI levels tested.

Two alternatives are Prezista 800mg with 100mg Norvir, or Isentress.

It's the Norvir that causes lipids to go up. Kaletra uses 200mg/day.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:41:51 pm »
I had slight yellowing of the eyes for a little over a week. No one but me seemed to notice and I have big eyes.  ;D

Offline panda

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:43:06 am »
If you stay yellow on Reyataz this usually means you have high drug levels, and can try, with careful monitoring, dropping the Norvir. This may mean a higher dose of Reyataz, but should help with the yellowing. You can get PI levels tested.

Two alternatives are Prezista 800mg with 100mg Norvir, or Isentress.

It's the Norvir that causes lipids to go up. Kaletra uses 200mg/day.

- matt

Hi - this is now more confusing.. if the reyataz is the cause for the yellow eyes - why dropping the norvir?

Offline panda

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:44:25 am »
also , how long it takes for the yeloow appear in the eyes since i started using it?

Offline Being Swiss

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:39:17 am »

Is the kaletra cause also for the lipo ? i mean the fat accululation ?

Nobody knows! At the beginning the PI's were made responsible for it. Then it was Zerit. Now my docs shrug their shoulders when I start to investigate. Instead they refer to a lovely cosmetic operation which our insurances pay for: They could operate bits of your bum (if it still exists) or thighs into your cheeks. Might turn you into "Scarface", but they'd be filled with something...

Bruno
The best-looking Swiss gay my mum could produce. She was rather in a hurry...

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:06:09 pm »
also , how long it takes for the yeloow appear in the eyes since i started using it?
I honestly do not recall exactly how long it took for my eyes to turn yellow. I'd guess within a week or two of starting them.

Offline panda

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 02:13:27 pm »
hi, i am now a week and a day :=) i think for now there is no yellow... i am so scared... not easteticly. i am afreid it will hurt my health, i dont mind to have yellow eyes for a while as long as it ill pass at theend -
is it even possible to take the reyataz off and stay with norvir only ? my dr. told me that the norvir is fat friendly rather then the kaletra... ???
i read somewhere here someone who quit the kaletra and the lipo profile got much better and so is the lipo .. is it possibe ?

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 04:04:52 pm »
The reason I mention Norvir is because this is a booster drug. It's used to raise the levels of PIs. It's not doing anything to your HIV. Normally, Norvir boosting is a good thing because it lets you use a lower PI dose and get the same effect on HIV. Some people have serious problems with Norvir boosting tho (Reyataz is a PI).

You cannot take Reyataz every other day.

The yellow is usually "cosmetic". It comes from an enzyme made by your liver called bilirubin. There are two kinds and Reyataz makes you make extra of a kind which just floats around in your blood and, well, colors you yellow. The yellow eyes thing passes after a few weeks as your body adjusts.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline panda

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:41:09 am »
thanks a lot for your very detail answer. I still have a question , is there a limit of bilirubim level that higher then that it is not good to continue? last time i had bilirubin 4 - i was yellow like the sun and my dr said that the drugs company approved i can continue  using at least untill the level of 5 - but I didn't want to wait and quit. do u happens to know if this is right ? I mean its not dangerous untill it gets to 5 ? (u know unfortunately i dont trust the dr. and prefer always to do also my own research - the reason is cause 3 years ago i got the stiven johnson;s syndrom from viramune  so since then... i dont take what the dr. says as obviously).

take now norvir 100 mg - once a day and reyataz 150 x 2 - once a day .. what do u thik about it ?

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 06:59:32 pm »
Jaundice can be a sign of liver damage. But I was told by the doctor that Reyataz does not seem to damage the liver. That it is just one of those side effects that happen to some people.
Unless you have hepatitis I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline panda

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 08:45:27 pm »
Hi,ts been 28 days since I quit the kaletra and started the reyata+norvir after my cholecterol jumped to 350 and trygl. 422 !! I took the blood test today, my tryg. dropped 237 and cholesterol to 243 (still high) - BUT like I was afreid the bilirubin is 3.2 (the higher raf is 1.2)I was already told I looked yellow  - I am so scared as I hope the billirubin will dropped back down to the normal range and the yellowness with dissapear but what if it wont ?  :-\

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 09:34:41 pm »
Why don't you wait to start endless worrying after the 3 week window of yellowing that others described here and in other threads?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 10:11:27 pm »
Hi,ts been 28 days since I quit the kaletra and started the reyata+norvir after my cholecterol jumped to 350 and trygl. 422 !! I took the blood test today, my tryg. dropped 237 and cholesterol to 243 (still high) - BUT like I was afreid the bilirubin is 3.2 (the higher raf is 1.2)I was already told I looked yellow  - I am so scared as I hope the billirubin will dropped back down to the normal range and the yellowness with dissapear but what if it wont ?  :-\

Hey Panda,

A month after starting Reyataz, my bilirubin was at 3.6 (amazingly, I never noticed any yellowing of my eyes or skin).  That reading is the highest that it has been.  Since that time I have been in the 1.0-2.2 range.  While some of these readings are, technically, out of the reference range -- keep in mind that the reference range wasn't developed by using people taking Reyataz.  The fact is that "our reference range" is likely a bit higher.  This increase in bilirubin is a benign side effect of the drug.  If you really had something "bad" going on with your liver, there would be other liver enzymes that would be increased.

It will be interesting to see my next Bili result (not until May), as I just increased my Reyataz from 300mg/day to 400mg/day, due to also taking Atripla.  Been 3 weeks -- still not yellow!

Mike

Offline panda

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 04:14:02 pm »
thanks a lot - i also hope my bili will go down .. i will check again with in 2 weeks , I hope my fat profile will go more lower by then

Offline Highlyfaveured

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 08:32:51 pm »
I turned so yellow everyone at my job kept asking me if I was ok.  I switched meds and in a day the yellowing went away.

Offline panda

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 12:00:19 pm »
Hi,
Me again ..
So I started with the Norvir and Reyataz on Feb 10,
This week - there was almost no one that didn't tell me about my yellow eyes.
I am realy frustrated...The Kaletra jimped my fat profile , it was too dg. But these yellownessin my eyes.. Dont know what to do..
What is the limited level ?5 ? 5.5 that allowed ?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 12:03:17 pm »
Everyone told you to expect this.  It can last a couple of weeks so you just need to deal with it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.