Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:12:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 623
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vitamin B12 and mouth sores  (Read 24204 times)

Offline natthai

• The truth is not determined by majority vote.
Vitamin B12 and mouth sores
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:01:16 pm »
I have been getting an unusually large number of sores in my mouth (canker sores). They usually appear on the bottom side of my tongue or soft tissue inside my mouth. They are particularly annoying as when they appear I usually can't stop tongue the damned thing which just makes it worse.

Last week I started taking a sublingual B12 tablet (1000IU). Since then I have not had a single sore.

Has anyone experienced similar canker sores during the course of your infection? I have read that they usually appear when your immune system is activated which sounds about right, I am not sure why B12 seemes to have helped.
Infection date: February 14, 2010 (yeah really)
08/03/2010 - CD4 621 (27%) VL 72,250
25/03/2010 - CD4 981 (28%) VL 122,719 <-started anti-oxidants (ABCDE, Se, ALA, NAC)
11/08/2010 - CD4 1,365 (31%) VL 5,451

Granny60

Re: Vitamin B12 and mouth sores
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »
I have been getting an unusually large number of sores in my mouth (canker sores). They usually appear on the bottom side of my tongue or soft tissue inside my mouth. They are particularly annoying as when they appear I usually can't stop tongue the damned thing which just makes it worse.

Last week I started taking a sublingual B12 tablet (1000IU). Since then I have not had a single sore.

Has anyone experienced similar canker sores during the course of your infection? I have read that they usually appear when your immune system is activated which sounds about right, I am not sure why B12 seemes to have helped.

No canker sores but hubby went to doctor time and again. Corners of mouth would split and bleed, tongue get sore,  nobody diagnosed it. Then he found reading a Reader's digest  medical guide that it was vit B deficiency.  He has taken B for  20 years now. If  he quits, mouth gets sore and chest pains start again. Supposed to be high stress levels trigger  high vit B loss and vit B is the fix.

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:40:35 pm »
I constantly have canker sores, the longest time i have gone without a canker sore since can remember is 4 months. I once counted eight in my mouth at one time. Two upper lip, three lower lip, one on the roof of my mouth, one under my tongue, and one on the inside of my cheek. Cankers sores are not related to HIV, and doctors and dentist do not understand why they occur more frequently in others than not.

Through anecdotal observations I notice I get multiple cankers sores before the onset of the cold or flu (normally on the inside of my cheeks or underneath my tongue). Generally the ones on my lower lip are because i bite my lip on accident (my canine teeth are sharp).

Licorice root tends to help if you want an herbal remedy, it helps with the inflammation.

The is best method, stole it from a website:
Licorice root can be found in both tinctures and tablets. For easy use on canker sores, crush the tablet and mix with a bit of water to make a paste then apply to canker sores.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline Hoover

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »
Sores galore here!

Our daughter used to get sores inside her mouth and we finally determined it was from her taking Claritin.
As soon as she stopped, so did the ulcers.

My sisters and I are allergic to citric acid. If we eat too much acid (mangos and oranges), we will get ugly fever blisters on the outside of our lips. One sister will even get this from sunlight. (Redhead)

My partner converted three months ago and has gotten thrush three times!
Last count his CD4 was 420.....

How is that for a mouth full?

Hoover and Dr. T.
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline natthai

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:38:58 pm »
So after I started having all those canker sores I started researching exactly what they are and what causes them. I didn't find a clear answer, there are some theories and correlation but they can't pin point them as being caused by a specific microbe or body state although it is suggested that chronic immune system inflamation (aka HIV) can cause oral ulcers.

Anyway, a few of the sources I was reading suggested B12 deficiency as a contributing factor to canker sores. Unfortumately B12 isn't orally active so the options are IM shots or sublingual tablets. I went and bought a bottle of sublingual tablets and I have been cold sore free since then (at least a month now).

If anyone else suffers from cold sores you might also wanna give B12 a shot and let us know your experiences. Also there are different forms of B12, the most bioavaliable form is Methylcobalamin. This is also the safest form so look for this one over the more common Cyanocobalamin.
25/03/2010 - CD4 981 (28%) VL 122,719 <-started anti-oxidants (ABCDE, Se, ALA, NAC)

Granny60

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:47:58 pm »
B complex vitamin will work. Kmart sells Sundown brand in a gel cap that is 1000 daily units per vitamin and swallowed whole doesn't taste as bad as the tablets. .   No doctor visit, can take daily so you don't have to deal with it wearing off, you can get 3 bottles for less than one office visit.  several have reported it working.  Hope this helps.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:17:48 am »
So after I started having all those canker sores I started researching exactly what they are and what causes them. I didn't find a clear answer, there are some theories and correlation but they can't pin point them as being caused by a specific microbe or body state although it is suggested that chronic immune system inflamation (aka HIV) can cause oral ulcers.

Anyway, a few of the sources I was reading suggested B12 deficiency as a contributing factor to canker sores. Unfortumately B12 isn't orally active so the options are IM shots or sublingual tablets. I went and bought a bottle of sublingual tablets and I have been cold sore free since then (at least a month now).

If anyone else suffers from cold sores you might also wanna give B12 a shot and let us know your experiences. Also there are different forms of B12, the most bioavaliable form is Methylcobalamin. This is also the safest form so look for this one over the more common Cyanocobalamin.

Nat, you need to get your terminology right. What is commonly called "cold sores" is actually herpes, and herpes is caused by a virus. B12 has no effect on herpes. Acyclovir does.

Herpes gained the nicknames "cold sores" and "fever blisters" because it's common to get an outbreak when you are sick with something else.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline natthai

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:40:27 pm »
Nat, you need to get your terminology right. What is commonly called "cold sores" is actually herpes, and herpes is caused by a virus. B12 has no effect on herpes. Acyclovir does.
Thanks Ann, you are very right of course. I started out by using "canker" and ended up using "cold" which of course are two very different things. The cold part was a brain fart. I was thinking about and wanted to say canker but for some reason I typed cold. Thanks for pointing that out, someone who reads this thread can find it confusing. At lease I am not saying "Cancer sore" like I did in another thread (which your snarp eye also caught as I recall).

Yes I agree, Acyclovir is definately the treatment for cold sores AKK fever blisters AKA oral herpes simplex I.

Offline poz91

Ditto... B12
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:44:23 am »
Started taking B12 supplements two or three years ago and it worked like a charm!

Offline natthai

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:36:39 pm »
Yes same here, it has been several weeks now since I started taking B12 (sublingual) and I haven't had any canker or mouth sores. So far so good.

Offline Javicho

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:52 am »
I have been taking Atripla and B12 for the last 10 years and i still have mouth soures, not much help for me  :-\

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.