Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:40:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 638
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fears with HIV  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Falkore

Fears with HIV
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:07:57 am »
This 30th marks my one year anniversary.  This time last year I was worried sick because the 20 minute test had come back as "preliminary poz."  I had been in a relationship for 10 months and things got complicated.  We finally broke up, but HIV was only part of the reason.  Now I find myself doubting that I will ever find love again.  I've met a few people who care for me, who enjoy spending time with me, and some who even say they love me... but I wonder.  I feel like I should not allow myself to fall in love again.  How can I let someone into my life when I am going to die.  I know how crazy that sounds.  We are all going to die some day. 

Part of the problem is that the person I love is also dealing with a life long medical condition.  He has diabeties (sp) and does not care for himself as well as he should.  I've had to spend the night in the hospital with him several times because of his condition.  I don't want the situation to be reversed.  I don't want him to have to visit me in the hospital because I'm sick. 

Any thoughts?
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Fears with HIV
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:58:43 am »
the person I love is also dealing with a life long medical condition.  He has diabeties (sp) and does not care for himself as well as he should.  I've had to spend the night in the hospital with him several times because of his condition. 

is this the same man you were with for 10 months but then you guys had to break up? ???

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 09:13:09 am »

I don't mean to sound callous, but ten months is a very short period of time to consider it a "relationship". You have had quite a bit on your plate the last year just dealing with HIV. Focus on yourself and your issues before jumping into a relationship....believe me they won't work until you do. Slow down, relax, whether you believe it or not you have plenty of time.

Peace,
Hal ;)   

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 10:15:41 am »
Hey Falkore,
First, your first year with the bug is arguably the most tumultuous emotionally. Take a step back, a deep breath and try to relax.

Now, about not wanting to get close to someone because you're going to die, well, I hate to break this to you, but we all are going to die. Everyone. No exceptions.

The only qualifying factor is when and how. Hit by a bus? AIDS? Diabetes? Tripping over the curb and hitting your head on a sleeping wino's bottle?

The point is not to let yourself fret about the inevitable. Focus on today. If that includes forming a relationship and enjoying the day together, that's great.

Could the day come when he would be staying with you in the hospital. Sure. But until that day comes, why are you wasting valuable time worrying about it?

Enjoy the life you have today. Enjoy the people who are part of your life today.

That is all we can count on.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:53:36 am »
Falkore...  I understand you fear..  But fear is not justification for anything you have said.  Turn yourself around 180 degrees and face this headon and plow through all these feelings.  This is not the end.   We are all moving to an eventual end.  Just because you have been thrown a potential end that you know about, does not mean what you say....   The first year is tough,  I am in my 10 month.  I am happily married to the man I love and HIV is not an issue when it comes to love.  How you define love is key.  Whom you wish to share your life with is key.  There are thousands of people looking for the same thing you are.   Even the ones who are not infected and are perfectly healthy in every since of the word.  My recomendations to you if you have broken off this relationship is to always keep your doors open and your bridges clear.  Never shut a door.  It WILL reopen once the repairs on your end have been made.   I for one if I was in your position is build your confidences back.  They have just been stifuled right now.  They will return.  Your confidence will return.  But give it a year or so and just learn about what "this" is all about.   We were placed on this earth (for me) to share ourselves with a partner.   I worked very hard to find that partner.  2 years later, we tested positive..  HIV has little to do with love or "being dirty" or being "different".  Thats all these stigma's you have read over the past 25 years.  Dont let this stop up.  You might as well shut down or get these feelings in check now.  Its a process and never a desination.  You will always deal with the HIV equastion.  Being sick, well, eveyone gets sick from time to time.  Diabetis has its ups and downs and maybe you both can compliment eachother here if you so desire.   This is not worth packing up the LOVE and putting away forever.  There is no need.  Life becomes a bit shallow if you do.  You will be loved and are most likely very much loved, you just are ruling it out in your mind.   Stop that..

Love ;D

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 12:43:57 pm »
Hi Falkore,

So nice of you to drop in.  I hope this site is one you will find helpful and one where you can find people who understand.  I was diagnosed in 1983, and it appears from your photo, (assuming it was taken in the last two years) that you are younger than my HIV, so in a really perverse sort of way; take solace from that, and please don't worry about finding love, making your life "acceptable" for anyone but you, or a whole host of details that are racing through your mind at this time.  Life will cool, and the news of the HIV will temper, but you have to give it time.  I started a relationship with an HIV- man a full five years after I was infected, and we have been "IN LOVE" for the last 18 years, so there is hope, even though it may not seem so today.

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 07:51:14 pm »
It's been since 1990 that I have known about being HIV -positive. In the initial stages, depression will hit you and all of the other emotions at the same time. So relax, take care of yourself and Love will find you. That's been my experience.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 06:14:15 am »
Hi Falkore,

My first thought is that I have to agree with Mark about this:

Could the day come when he would be staying with you in the hospital. Sure. But until that day comes, why are you wasting valuable time worrying about it?

Enjoy the life you have today. Enjoy the people who are part of your life today.

Anxiety about an imagined future will only serve to make you sick. Since no one is guaranteed to live more than right now - today - this minute - try not to let your mind take over the moment.

I’ve been positive for 18+ years, and I can tell you that in time you’ll learn how to handle these anxieties and fears. Namely, you’ll learn that they are nothing but wasted time. Time is precious. Don’t fret it away.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.