Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 11:23:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 147
Total: 147

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: VIRxSYS VRX496 this is the best news - best i have ever read like fresh air  (Read 5462 times)

Offline bimazek

Jun 1 2007 (Vol. 27, No. 11)
VIRxSYS  VRX496 Preclinical studies show that HIV is unable to mutate around VRX496.

Some patients maintained outcomes for three years, and genetically modified CD4 T cells remain in circulation.

-convenient for patients by eliminating the need for multiple daily pills.

http://www.genengnews.com/articles/chitem.aspx?aid=2119
VRX496 suppressed viral loads and restored the immune system responses in chronic HIV patients. This is an important milestone in the development of what we believe could be the next generation of HIV therapy, says Riku Rautsola, Ph.D., president and CEO of VIRxSYS.

VRX496 is the first and only lentiviral vector therapy approved by the FDA for clinical trials. The backbone of VRX496 consists of a genetically engineered version of HIV in which all the infectious components are removed and replaced with the therapeutic payload a long antisense sequence that targets the HIV envelope protein and cripples the virus.

Preclinical studies show that HIV is unable to mutate around VRX496. which should prevent the formation of resistant strains. We have seen no resistance develop to our therapy in vivo or in vitro.

VRX496 is an autologous therapy that uses a patient’s own cells.

The goal is to repopulate a patient’s immune system with genetically engineered cells that promote immunity against HIV and prevent the progression to AIDS. Although not a cure, VRX496 could improve the quality of life for HIV patients by bringing viral loads down to low levels.

In a Phase I trial, five chronic HIV patients, who had failed to respond to multiple standard antiretroviral drug regimens, received one infusion of VRX496. All patients showed stable or decreased viral loads as well as stable or increased immune responses to HIV antigens. Four of the five had stable or increased CD4 T cells. Some patients have maintained these positive outcomes for up to three years, and the genetically modified CD4 T cells remain in circulation.

A Phase II study is under way in 40 chronic HIV patients to further establish the safety and tolerability of VRX496 and to determine the optimal dose.

Current anti-HIV drugs are small molecules that are highly toxic. Because HIV mutates rapidly, it often becomes resistant to conventional drug regimens taken by patients. VIRxSYS’ alternative gene therapy is designed to block all the mutation sites on HIV, preventing resistance. Thus VIRxSYS says that VRX496 overcomes the problems of toxicity and resistance.

VRX496, which is intended as a short-term therapy that offers long-term benefits, may be more convenient for patients by eliminating the need for multiple daily pills.

privately held VIRxSYS has a unique financing model. A group of private shareholders provides funds, and the company has not had to rely on traditional venture capital. “We are fortunate to have loyal shareholders who finance us,” Dr. Rautsola says.
http://www.genengnews.com/articles/chitem.aspx?aid=2119  read the full article it is great...

Offline J220

I just noticed something from the Nov 06 press release of the results of phase I. This addreses a question that had been asked in another thread, I think the one about the rybozime (sp?) trial. On the latter trial there was a concern about cancer. I saw this in the Virxsys site:

VRX496 has been able to deliver genes permanently, reproducibly and efficiently to human cells without toxicity or serious adverse events, such as immunogenicity or insertional oncogenesis (cancer), that plagued earlier gene therapy trials.

Great news, and I guess it answers the question someone had raised of whether VRX496 could cause cancer! I do agree with Biz, I think this is an absolutely great "backup" treatment, should an outright cure not be hit upon in the next few years. Modified genes immune to HIV? I'll take them! J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline hahaha

If I would vote for the best news.  PD-1 will be number one.  And Virxsys is number two. 

Virxsys seems to me, it is like " a man-made virus that disfunction HIV virus".   The only thing that i feel it did not solve, is the virus in CD4 has has not been infected by Virxsys lentivirus. 

For those matter, it seems that only CD8 can help.   
Did any body has any idea about MDX -1106 to be applied on HIV patient? 

Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
When I talked to VIRxSYS a few weeks ago I was told something about the possiblity of the cells making "Memory Cells"  That might be what keeps the VRX496 going and it may turn out that you have to get reVRX496ed every so often.  I guess as the study progresses we will learn a lot more.
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
I wanted to throw this in.  The vector for VRX496 (Vector is what carries the VRX496 to the cell's DNA) can keep you from getting VRX496.  In the study they test you for the antibody (Don't know what it is as it is a secret) if you have been exposed to the vector antibody you cannot get VRX496 because your body will kill off the vector and render the VRX496 Useless.  I learned this Wednesday at my intake appointment.
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline J220

Hm, that's a bit of bad news I suppose. I thought this was going to be a universal treatment. However, the prevelence of the antibody, whatever it is, may be low in population, hopefully single digit percentages...guess more waiting for more info. Thanks for keeping us updated, we are all watching with cautious optimism! Best of luck. J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.