Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:29:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 233
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Heart palpitations for the last two weeks  (Read 8178 times)

Offline alterman

Heart palpitations for the last two weeks
« on: August 18, 2006, 01:48:21 am »
My doc says I have high blood pressure 150 and he want me to see him in two weeks,But I don't think I will make it.I believe its the combo that I am taking because from just reading it causes the bad calesterol to build up in my blood.
I remember my physician said that my calesterol is through the roof meaning your blood is very sticky and showing build up of calesterol that can be seen with the naked eyes and he wrote me a script for it, but I am on so much medicine at the time I can't afford all of them.I have health insurance because I am still working but paying my home morgage and car note its tough to keep up with the cost.Just letting you all know ther
are some out here that is strongling to stay uppove water to live in this money hungry society call the united states.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Heart palpitations for the last two weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:26:25 am »
Alter,

Blood pressure is nothing to mess around with, you should have it checked. Usually when you get your BP taken you're given two numbers; the systolic pressure and the diastolic. It's the second number that's the most important. Your diastolic reading shouldn't be above 80.

I have high blood pressure too. Really high. For example this morning my systolic was 151 and my diastolic was 115, which is very high. I hope that the 150 you report isn't your diastolic.

I appreciate the financial pressures you're facing and ultimately it's up to you, but if you're having problems with blood pressure, get it checked.

Regards,

MtD

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:10:10 am »
if you are having heart palpitations you probably should tell your dr. I had them and they are scary. I was put on beta blockers,which also lower blood pressure,and they stopped by heart palpitations,which had nothing at all to do with my blood pressure. Beta Blockers and many early bp drugs are very inexpensive. In my case alcohol increased the incidence of palpitations,which I have had as long as I can remember.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:25:25 am »
Hello Alterman,

What HIV medications are you currently on? As others have already said, you should bring this up with you doctor sooner then later!! Don't hesitate on this...

Perhaps your doctor can wire you up and take a ECG (electrocardiogram) To check if anything may be going on. It does not take that long.

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jack

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:48:42 am »
alterman. I got a few tips from a nurse one time on how to try and stop heart palpitations. sometimes they work.
Close eyes and massage eyelids
massage sides of neck
wrap a cold wet cloth around your wrists
wet towell on forehead
Dont ask me, I have no idea why they work,but sometimes they do.
oh, and I forgot, the worst one, drink less alcohol.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:29:55 pm »
Do you drink a lot of caffeine products, coffee and soda?  If you do, try slacking off them.Do you know if the palpitations are from the atrium or the ventricles?
What Jack mentioned is called, the val salvo maneuver. This method can also be done by barring down and exert pressure like having a bowel movement.  If you do the carotid massage then only massage one side of the neck at a time.

Note: doing this can cause cardiac arrest. That's why you hear the stories of people dieing while using the toilet.

Offline jack

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 02:04:49 pm »
Rod. leave it to you bring in the toilet talk. I have not tried the bowel exertion while experiencing palpatations.
I will have to try the carotid on one side, Ihave always done both,maybe thats why it didnt work. I had luck with eyelid thing and wet towells. Now if I get one I pop one atenenol and it goes away instantly.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 09:25:52 pm »
Jack, I hope that they told you it doesn't always work to do the conversion. You can also stick your face in a bowl of cold ice water. Just remember that when you do the carotid massage do it with firm pressure not HARD pressure, no longer than 5 seconds. If it doesn't convert, wait three seconds and try the other side. If all has failed, go to the ER without delay and let them convert you.

Offline jack

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 08:56:58 am »
Rod, I just take one beta blocker now and it stops immediately. In the past I tried all the stuff I described. I have had hundreds of these events. Only went to emergency room once when it lasted several hours. The nurse did tell me to do all the massaging gently.
I guess I shouldnt be give advice on this. I didnt what I have done at least a couple of hundred times was dangerous

Offline alterman

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:00:24 am »
Hello Alterman,

What HIV medications are you currently on? As others have already said, you should bring this up with you doctor sooner then later!! Don't hesitate on this...

Perhaps your doctor can wire you up and take a ECG (electrocardiogram) To check if anything may be going on. It does not take that long.

Take care-----Ray
I am on Zerits Ziangen and Virocept.I also have diabetes.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 12:32:47 am »
Hello Alterman, it's Eldon. Just as the other members has stated, you should go an see/call your Doctor as soon as possible to have him/her check things out.

I also found some other information for you that you can read over to further your knowledge on this subject:http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003081.htm.

I hope this will be helpful to you and please do keep us posted.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.