Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:13:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 251
Total: 252

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My brother thinks I need something on my computer.  (Read 3326 times)

Offline klassykitty

My brother thinks I need something on my computer.
« on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:56 pm »
It can be scary when my brother thinks I need something on my computer. So far he changed it from XP to 7.  He has put my favorites in folders, last year he put my pictures into folders.  I think he does this stuff to make me hate the computer even more ;D

Yesterday he informed me that he thinks he should put something called drop box on my computer, and on my phone to.

What is it and what good will it do for me and what does it do?

Micihelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline darryaz

Re: My brother thinks I need something on my computer.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »
I would recommend setting up a password and NOT sharing it with your brother.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »
I would recommend setting up a password and NOT sharing it with your brother.

I am sure you love your brother, but I agree with Darry.

Dropbox allows you to store and retrieve your documents and media (e.g., photos) via several devices such as your computer and iPhone.

Here is a link for more information: https://www.dropbox.com/

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:56:09 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:20:06 pm »
It's good to get all those important files and pix off your computer and phone.  I lost many great pix, when my computer crashed.  We bought a external hard-drive with 1 terabyte.  We now transfer things regularly. 

I haven't used the upload services, like Dropbox.  I should.  My phone pix are on a SD card, so if something should happen to my phone, I will still have the pix.  iPhones and some android phones don't have SD cards, making a service like Dropbox more important. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:36:44 pm »
Klassy, you should back up your computer automatically. Either to the cloud (you pay a little bit for storage, which a company keeps somewhere) or to an external hard drive disk you have in your home.  If you are backing up, then you are golden. This means automatically everyday or at least once a week. 

Then, you can manage your files anyway you want.  But if you are ambitious, yeah, ask your brother to help you evolve with the times, its important to keep up a little bit.

If you are really smart, you should have two back ups of anything important.  Cloud + hard disk at home.  OR one hard disk you put things you never want to lose, stored at work or at a friends, and you back up to it maybe once a month.  The cloud makes this easier.  This way, if your house burns down, god forbid, you still have your important stuff.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Grasshopper

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 03:38:19 pm »
Thanx guys,

I should have said that brother doesn't do anything to my computer without asking me first, most of the time I try to do something and there's to many options and I ask him for help or give up. Like when I tried to put skype on my computer, I gave up and never did it.

@ Darry My computer is passworded, I have a list of passwords because I can't remember them all.

The reason he suggested dropbox was because I can't take a picture from photobucket and put it on my phone but he said with dropbox I could.

@Meech Can you hook up an external hard drive to a laptop.  I don't have a desktop just my laptop.  What's a cloud?

@Onetampa   I checked it out and i'm going to do it.  If I can hook up an external drive then I will do that to. 

@Tednlou   My pixs are already backed up on a stick thing, and most on photobucket.  All of my school papers are on sticks to.

My pantech phone has 2 card things but I don't know what they do.  I just know I have almost 300 pictures on it that I have to take off before I leave for FL.

Speaking of pictures  I took 358 pictures in DC last year at the AMG.  There would have been more but the first day I didn't take my camera because you can't take cameras into the white house.  Imagine how many pictures I can take in FL for two weeks.    ;D

Michelle  8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline darryaz

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 04:30:06 pm »
@ Darry My computer is passworded, I have a list of passwords because I can't remember them all.

Doesn't that negate the purpose of having a password? (sorry, I couldn't resist - I worked as a corporate IT Manager for way too long)   :D

Just for fun:  SNL's "Your Company's Computer Guy" sketch:  http://vimeo.com/24762526

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.