Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It may be time to experiment . . .  (Read 8599 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
It may be time to experiment . . .
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:23:52 pm »
Recently, the issue of my hyperlipidemia and the cardiopulmonary consequences thereof has been raised by my doctor.

The reason it came up now was my sister, who called me to inform me she is having heart trouble. She is three years my junior, but is already seeing a cardiologist to address her issues.

I am hoping it is a temporary thing in her case.

My father had a history of heart trouble. He died from his third major heart attack.

On top of that, when I was being screened for the surgery to remove my hump, they found I had a minor issue with my heart. Something to do with the nerves which carry the signals to make my heart beat are not functioning properly.

So, my doctor is concerned because, as he put it, I have three strikes against me. I was a smoker for years, there is a history of heart trouble in the family, and I have hyperlipidemia.

Actually, there is also the HIV thing, so maybe that is four strikes. Anyway, the big concern at the moment are the lipids.

They have been an ongoing problem for a long time. I switched to Isentress and Truvada to help lower my lipids.

But, when I took statins, I  developed a fair degree of rhabdomyolysis, which wasn't much fun.

We stopped the statins. But now, despite my best efforts at diet and exercise, the lipids have again risen too high.

Interestingly, Isentress can cause elevated CPKs, which I still have. But, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I really can't change. This is about as lipid-friendly a regimen as we can get.

The doctor is also concerned because I already had problems in the past, and the doctor is worried I might again develop hepatic steatosis, or even a recurrence of nonalcoholic steato hepatitis.

Long story short (I know, too late), we may have to try a statin again. Perhaps Crestor, which I have heard good things about.

If we can manage to drop the lipids with a small dosage, I may not end up with side effects that are too severe. If the pain and weakness can be kept to a lesser level, I may well learn to live with them.

I guess we will discuss it at my next appointment. I was supposed to see him Jan 8, but I rescheduled because someone else needed to be seen and they had more critical issues to address.

I think I see him the third week of January, so that gives me time to contemplate this further.

One problem is that insurance companies are balking at paying for Crestor since Lipitor went generic. So, this might require the doctor to get a prior authorization from the insurance company should we decide to go with Crestor.

Yep, my HIV is well controlled and my immune system is wonderfully strong. It is the rest of me that is falling apart.  :o

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:31:15 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: It may be time to experiment . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:58:24 am »
Mark, it seems that the issue with your lipids is pretty critical.  I know my situation is different, statin wise, but my doctor prescribed Crestor for me, since Lipitor caused those muscle issues.  So far, so good.

I hope your doctor can work something out for you that will be effective.  It sounds troubling with that family history.  Please take care and keep us updated! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:31:38 am »
Mark,

we have similar issues.
i know how hard you have tried to deal with your lipids.
no answers or advice from me.
just wanted to wish you (and your sister) well.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:23:37 am »
Mark  sorry to hear of the  many interacting complications....  have  some of the same issues....have been using Crestor  for more than a year  definitely helps to keep  levels  closer to where they need to be....also  get  regular  "notices "  from Insurance about generic  Lipitor   but we tried  that and Dr  keeps specifying the  Crestor...   he  specifies on the  script   Crestor  as prescribed....

good luck

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:48:28 am »
Hope it all goes well buddy.  We're in very similar situations.  Lipitor for me was nasty and I had to discontinue it.  Pravastatin has allowed me to have awesome results.  Having 2 heart attacks before the age of 40 forced me to address the issues.

I never dreamt I'd live long enough to have HIV controlled and have the rest of me fall apart so rapidly.   :o

I did a 3 month extreme diet test after stopping pravastatin to see if my lipids would remain the same.  I eliminated ALL foods that would affect the lipids and I saw a sudden and huge change (for the worse) in my numbers.  Isentress is the culprit according to my doctor.  After restarting, I again saw a change for the better and am resigned to taking it for the rest of my life if need be.

Wishing you well
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »
Hey Mark

If you go with Crestor, I hope it works well for you, and that the insurance will pay for it (isn't it nuts that we have to argue with them over such things?).  As for the cardiac issues, it does seem that you have a few strikes against you...but hopefully nothing you can't overcome.

Love & hugs to you, my friend...and thanks for the lovely Christmas card.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 04:55:57 pm »
Hi Mark, hope you are doing better and your sister as well.  I take Lipitor (generic) every other day and my numbers have been good.  Best of everything going into the new year my dear friend.

Hugs, Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline deibster

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »
Good luck Mark. Have you, or your doc, tried calling the insurance in advance to see if you need prior authorization? My doc has been able to get the prior auth, in a few days, when needed.

In the past, I was switched from Lipitor to pravastatin, because of insurance regulations and the substitute worked. I was also switched from Flomax (for prostate BPH) to doxazosin, and that also worked.
 Hugs & happy new year. Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline aztecan

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:34:36 am »
Just a quick update.

I saw the doctor today. After some discussion and reviewing my lipid labs during the past couple of years, the doctor said he was reticent to prescribe a statin for me.

My lipid numbers, while they have worsened a bit over time, have not worsened that much, the doctor said.

Also, everything else is doing fine. My blood pressure ranges from a tad lower than normal to absolutely normal (120 / 80 today). My lung issues seem to be holding steady, which is a good sign, and my kidneys and liver are doing just fine.

In other words, I am in great shape, aside from the somewhat elevated lipids.

Even my CD4s are OK, coming in at more than 1,000, with a still undetectable viral load.

He said I was doing very well, except for the cholesterol, and was fearful the addition of a statin would upset the apple cart, so to speak, just as it did the last time.

The doctor said, and I quote , "I don't want to poison you with a statin."

He likes my diet, he knows I watch pretty closely what I eat.

But he does want me to exercise a bit more. I guess I can't argue with that.

So, no big news at this time. Oh, I do have get an X-ray tomorrow. I have been having pain in my left wrist and, upon examination, it appears I may have broken it.

Who knew my little fall on the ice Jan. 3 may have caused more damage, albeit minor, than I thought.

Oh well, I will get it done tomorrow.

An interesting side note: When he was examining me, he noticed one of my pupils is larger than the other. The doctor asked if I had ever suffered a head injury. I told him I did suffer a fractured skull when I was gay bashed a number of years ago.
The doctor said the attack probably caused some lingering brain damage, resulting in one pupil being larger than the other. It is of no real consequence, other than being a curiosity and a reminder of a rather unpleasant experience. But, I did find it interesting.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:42:39 am by aztecan »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:36 pm »
God Mark, sorry to hear about your wrist.  Damn ice.  I be it's been really hurting.  I'm surprised you can function if it's broken.  Of course, sometimes sprains hurt worse than breaks, and people don't even realize something's broken.

That is interesting about your pupil.  Sorry it brought back those bad memories. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:37:22 pm »
Are we trying to compete for broken wrists?   ;D ;D  Me, you, Mike and who knows who's next.

Overall, it looks mostly like good news.  How are the results from your surgery coming along? 

luvs
Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »
OK the results are in and the wrist is sprained, but not broken.

So, that is good news.

Hey Wolfie, regarding the surgery, so far, so good. No sign of it growing back yet and I seem to have healed properly.

So, that also is good news.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 06:22:04 am »
OK the results are in and the wrist is sprained, but not broken.

So, that is good news.

Hey Wolfie, regarding the surgery, so far, so good. No sign of it growing back yet and I seem to have healed properly.

So, that also is good news.

HUGS,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Glad to read that the wrist wasn't broken.  We don't need any more broken bones around here!

My problem always seems to be that I am smashing my feet into something !  :P  Maybe I can wrap myself up in a few layers of bubble wrap, and help prevent some injuries.  ;)

Take care of yourself--Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 06:27:02 pm »

An interesting side note: When he was examining me, he noticed one of my pupils is larger than the other. The doctor asked if I had ever suffered a head injury. I told him I did suffer a fractured skull when I was gay bashed a number of years ago.
The doctor said the attack probably caused some lingering brain damage, resulting in one pupil being larger than the other. It is of no real consequence, other than being a curiosity and a reminder of a rather unpleasant experience. But, I did find it interesting.

HUGS,

Mark

Mark,

Has this been documented on any of your eye examinations.  I was talking to Ed about this, and he says this condition is always documented ( if it exists) on all the exams he's ever done.

There might be a possibility that you were born with this condition, so see if you can go back and check some of your previous eye exams.

Oh yes, before I forget, Ed says the condition is called anisocoria :

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003314.htm

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Susan

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:38 am »
Mark, you may wish to investigate magnesium as a way to lower your cholesterol and it will also help with lots of other things (like take away all your muscular aches and pains). Magnesium is probably the best nutrient for your heart. It is my new favourite supplement. But, beware of the commonly used forms such as oxide (the one doctors give which is useless as very little is absorbed - great if you need a laxative) and citrate as they cause loose stools in many people. Some suggested forms can be found here http://gotmag.org/how-to-restore-magnesium/

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:25:39 am by Susan »

Offline deibster

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 05:58:10 pm »
I hope you are doing well Mark. Have you tried plain generic pravastatin? My insurance wouldn't pay for Lipitor & this alternative is inexpensive and works well for me.
Congratulations on the CD4 count. I have never had more than an 800 count; I think my lifelong allergies have effected my immune system.
Hugs, Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline aztecan

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »
I am in Laughlin, Nevada, for a friends birthday. The others are gambling, I am not ( too boring).
Just an update: the doctor nixed the statin idea. He checked and I have been on four of them . I had problems with them all, even Crestor.
So, que sera sera.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.