Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:56:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 225
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: LTNP: your counts during your accute and asymptomatic period  (Read 3268 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Hi there,

could you please share your experience ?

how have evolve your:

1- cd3/4/8 counts (absolute and %) - FBC (leucocytes, lymphocytes)
a) How were the first counts (undectectable, blips, detectable)
b) How have your counts evolve with time, how long time to become undetectable or <2000 cp/uL ?

2- Symptoms
Which symptoms have you faced since infected ?
a) For e.g. swollen lymphs nodes, fever, dizziness, skin rash, oral trush, heart beat rate, blood pressure, night sweat, etc
b) How the stress might have influence your symptoms ?

3- Misc
a) Any others relevant infos like others why you think your are an LTNP (lifestyle, genetics, etc.), do you have resistances, what are the main differences (health, psychologic) between before and after the infection, how have evolve your quality of life, etc..?
b) Have you get unprotected sexual intercourse for e.g. to have babies ? (I am thinking to the Swiss study asking that).

Many thanks for sharing your experience

I hopes newly/recently infected would, as me I guess, learn from your experience.

John

EDIT: Reformulated the questions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:09:06 pm by John2038 »

Offline Basquo

Re: LNTP: the accute to the asymptomatic infection
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:55:52 am »
Do you mean LTNP?  Long-Term Non-Progressor? I won't bother with my labs, since I won't officlially be a LTNP until October, but I face the usual symptoms of middle age, and if I have unprotected intercourse there is a risk of infecting someone.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: LNTP: the accute to the asymptomatic infection
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:12:21 am »
Are you asking about long-term non-progressors?

If so, you are asking a question of about 1 percent of the people living with HIV.

The rest of us muddle through as best we can.

I have monitored my T-cells (CD4s) since 1992. I have never monitored CD3s or CD8s and have never found a reason to do so.

I have monitored my viral load since they decided there should be tests for such a thing, which in my case was since July 1995.

I've been on meds since March 1996. I have had an undetectable viral load since July 1996. My CD4s have been more than 1,000 for at least seven or eight years, to the best of my recollection, and I really don't pay any attention to the percentage.

I occasionally get dizzy, mostly because my blood pressure is sometimes a tad low. I have some skin issues that seem to be inherent with us hi fivers, my lymph nodes swell once in a while (it goes with the territory), I have never had thrush (although I keep an eye out for it because I use an inhaler that can cause it) and routinely get low-grade fevers when I overdo or am overly tired.

After living with this bug for nearly 23 years, I find it is more important to live each day to the fullest rather than worrying about all the details.

Edited to add: OOPS, forgot the making babies issue. Well, for me its not an issue. I don't.

As far as sex goes, it isn't applicable in my case.

I'm past 50 and sex, at least with another person involved, just doesn't happen these days.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:20:25 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: LTNP: your counts during your accute and asymptomatic period
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:45:04 pm »
Thank you for your answers. Yes, I mean LTNP, sorry for the confusion (initial post modified accordingly).

Just willing to mention these 2 very interesting articles about the LTNP:

http://www.thebody.com/content/toparts/art46340.html (CROI 2008)
http://www.retroconference.org/2008/PDFs/353.pdf  (Poster - PDF)

And 2 others questions:

1) Would it make sense, for a LTNP, to take "light drugs" to help the body to control the virus ?
Are there studies about taking a monotherapy (for e.g. Kaletra) for a LTNP ?

2) Can't find the article. But seems those who have a low (<2k) but detectable viral load remains statistically out of meds longer than those remaining always undetectable (and still out of meds).
I can't believe that, but have you hear about such study ?

Note:
Another interesting article: http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/full/104/4/942
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:46:35 pm by John2038 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.