Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:21:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 352
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any thoughts on What if you have to miss a dose or 2  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Lucky2behere

• Kick'n a bugs butt
Any thoughts on What if you have to miss a dose or 2
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:02 pm »
I'm on Truvada and Issentress and I know I'm not supposed to miss any doses, but with the new changes in program funding and cutbacks, the availability of these HIV meds has gotten tight.
I'm waiting on ADAP approval and my ID nurse has secured me more meds but I may not get the meds until either Friday, Saturday or Monday, depending on the mail.

I have one days suppy left for Thursday. I was wondoring if I should wait until tomorrow to find out the estimated arrival date. I was told by someone on here that I might be better off missing every other day instead of missing 2 together. Any thoughts appreciated. I know these ID nurses and docs are doing the best they can for us who are depending on meds assistance programs in light of major program cutbacks.
So essentially, if I find out I will not receive meds til Saturday, am I better off skipping tomorrow and just taking Friday. I guess that still isn't 2 days but they may not come in the mail til Monday, that would be missing 3 days in a row. If I take tomorrow, and get meds Monday, I'd be missing 4 days in a row. Does that make sense. Thanks alot. I've been doing pretty good on the meds. Kinda groggy waking up and not sleeping great, seems like 10 minutes at a time some nights but overall energy and brain functioning is better. I feel like 90% rather than 45%. Thanks ya'll
March 2010 tested HIV Pos
probably infected 2.5 years
Sept.  2010 CD4 520 %24 vl 18,000
Nov.   2010 CD4 560    ?   vl  1,400
Dec. 5 2010 Started Truvada Isentress
Jan.  5 2011 CD4 380   ?    vl      63

Offline buginme2

Re: Any thoughts on What if you have to miss a dose or 2
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:45 pm »
I don't know the answer to your question.  However, I have a thought.  Are you able to switch medications to Atripla.  It has a long half life and therefore I beleive a missed dose is better tolerated.  Also, you can purchase a generic version online to cover yourself for a month incase something like this happens again.  Just a thought.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:41:05 pm »
Also I hope you get this workedd out.  It would be horrible to develope resistance to a drug just one month into treatment.  Why did they prescribe medication for you prior to getting ADAP approval to prevent something like this to happen?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Lucky2behere

• Kick'n a bugs butt
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:06:33 am »
Bugnme2
Why did they prescribe medication for you prior to getting ADAP approval to prevent something like this to happen?

I called and ask the nurse if she was sure that I should start and she felt certain at the time that she had meds available to her and after a month, some of the programs at the hospital were cut because of lost funding. I think the doc and the nurse meant well but they screwed up. I am very lucky that they could find the additional meds for me even at this short notice. My gut feeling was I should wait, so I waited about an extra week just because their math wasn't accurate and I would have ran out sooner. My numbers are so low, I could have waited but I trusted them and if it means anything, I do feel better. This will work out. The doc told me I looked tired. I said I'm not tired, I'm stressed because you started me on meds and now I can't get them. I didn't say it but thought: "It's only my life we are playing with."
This will work out somehow and thanks for your concern. And the generic Atripla is a good suggestion. Thanks.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:10:51 am »
I have several months' worth of Truvada and Isentress. You might want at least a month or two supply in case this happens again. PM me if you like.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:20:40 pm »
I'm on Isentress/Truvada and I also have some extra. Next time make sure to come on here sooner and maybe one of us can mail you a few days' supply. If you are in or near New York City, let me know and we can meet or maybe I can overnight you a few days supply.

In the meantime, it's hard to answer your questions. If you are already undetectable there is a bit more leeway. Isentress is a great medication but it has a low barrier to resistance so even one mutation renders it useless. I missed one dose one time and I was fine but I was already UD for a while.

Feel free to PM me if you need a few pills. Keep us posted.

Offline Lucky2behere

• Kick'n a bugs butt
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 01:56:26 am »
That is very kind of you to offer me a few days of meds. My ID nurse gave me the impression that she could get me meds and then she said programs had lost funds and she lost her connections. I was assured early on that she could get meds but seriously glad I waited a little while. I don't think I will go more than 1 day without the meds and my viral load was 1,400 or so when I started just a month ago. I hope I will be ok. That's all I can say. I really feel humbled by all this and people being kind and willing to help is also pretty amazing to me. I'm going to assume that I will be ok and I'm going to not worry and say thank you for your kindness. It's heartfelt for sure. Tom

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.