Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:44:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 329
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I've had condom breakage!!!  (Read 4098 times)

Offline poomkusa

I've had condom breakage!!!
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »
Hello everyone

i am a 20 year old male. i had vaginal sex with a 23 year old girl i met at a night club. we had sex 4 times in one night, and all of them were protected sex. however, the condom broke the fourth time we had sex, i didn't notice at all until i ejaculated and my penis was fully exposed in her vagina for about a minute or two. i washed my penis with soap afterward but not with hot water as it was not available (she also gave me a blowjob and i was fingering her). afterward i was kinda afraid of contracting HIV so i asked the girl to go get blood test with me but she refused which scares me even more.

Im considering PEP right now as its only been less than 24 hours. I've read a lot of other threads and i get the impression that a guy getting HIV from condom breakage is only in theory and that you guys have never seen a guy contracts HIV from condom breakage and will say PEP is not necessary. however, if in the future I happen to somehow get checked as HIV positive i would regret the chance i have to get PEP now.

so my question is what are the chances of me contracting HIV as in i MIGHT or i WONT. also, if you guys were in my situation, with your knowledge, would you not get PEP because youre 100% sure that u wont get HIV and will NOT regret not doing PEP when u had a chance.

and please do take in consideration of the fact that it was the fourth time we had sex in one night that the condom broke. so my penis was a bit hurt and it might have had open wounds. i didnt see any open wounds but i heard that even the wound a size you cant see can give you HIV.

It'd be really nice as well if you can tell me how likely it is to have open wounds on my penis after 4 times of sex.

one last thing, i live in Bangkok, Thailand, and I'm not sure whether there is PEP here. so if anyone happens to know please do tell me.

thank you for all answer

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: I've had condom breakage!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:36:29 pm »
Hello everyone

i am a 20 year old male. i had vaginal sex with a 23 year old girl i met at a night club. we had sex 4 times in one night, and all of them were protected sex. however, the condom broke the fourth time we had sex, i didn't notice at all until i ejaculated and my penis was fully exposed in her vagina for about a minute or two. i washed my penis with soap afterward but not with hot water as it was not available (she also gave me a blowjob and i was fingering her). afterward i was kinda afraid of contracting HIV so i asked the girl to go get blood test with me but she refused which scares me even more.

Im considering PEP right now as its only been less than 24 hours. I've read a lot of other threads and i get the impression that a guy getting HIV from condom breakage is only in theory and that you guys have never seen a guy contracts HIV from condom breakage and will say PEP is not necessary. however, if in the future I happen to somehow get checked as HIV positive i would regret the chance i have to get PEP now.

so my question is what are the chances of me contracting HIV as in i MIGHT or i WONT. also, if you guys were in my situation, with your knowledge, would you not get PEP because youre 100% sure that u wont get HIV and will NOT regret not doing PEP when u had a chance.

and please do take in consideration of the fact that it was the fourth time we had sex in one night that the condom broke. so my penis was a bit hurt and it might have had open wounds. i didnt see any open wounds but i heard that even the wound a size you cant see can give you HIV.

It'd be really nice as well if you can tell me how likely it is to have open wounds on my penis after 4 times of sex.

one last thing, i live in Bangkok, Thailand, and I'm not sure whether there is PEP here. so if anyone happens to know please do tell me.

thank you for all answer

OK, you had a risk but it was a fairly low one. HIV is a fragile virus and not easily transmitted. It is significantly more difficult to transmit from female to male than the other way around. Until the condom broke you were protected. And we're talking about a single and relatively brief incident. All of those factors work in your favor against transmission having occured.

It is true that despite the many cases of broken condoms reported here, none have resulted in transmission having taken place. But this is a decision you have to decide. PEP is for 28 days. Check with any hospital Bangkok and you shouldn't have any problem finding a place to get PEP if you decide to go that route.

Always use a fresh condom each time for intercourse. I don't know if you re-used the one that broke, but just in case, keep a fresh supply handy.

Keep us posted and good luck whatever you decide to do.  

Andy Velez

Offline poomkusa

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:46 pm »
thanks for the answer andy

no i didnt reuse the condom since i heard its not the right method for protected sex

could you identify what fairly low risk is?? like in percent. and what would you do if you were me? i wont judge or blame you at all no matter what my result will be in the future. i just need all the information and opinion to make my dicision. thanks in advance.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:19 pm »
thanks for the answer andy

no i didnt reuse the condom since i heard its not the right method for protected sex

could you identify what fairly low risk is?? like in percent. and what would you do if you were me? i wont judge or blame you at all no matter what my result will be in the future. i just need all the information and opinion to make my dicision. thanks in advance.

We don't get into percentages here. As I said I have never known of anyone to have become infected through a failed condom. Your exposure was brief and a single time.

As for whether you should do PEP or not, you have to decide. Although I don't think you will have become infected, I also understand when someone would rather have 28 days of some possible discomfort from PEP rather than seroconverting and thinking it might have been avoided.

Without PEP I believe you will still test negative. But you need to decide what your comfort zone is about the issue. If you don't do PEP, get focused on other things in your life while you wait to test. You can test initally at 6 weeks. A negative at that point is a pretty strong indication you will continue to test negative. By 6 weeks all but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so since the average time to seroconversion is 22 days.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and keep us posted.

Andy Velez

Offline poomkusa

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 01:46:21 pm »
ive finally got the girl tested. she is not a positive and i think i wont go for PEP. still a bit scared for the windows period tho

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:04:17 pm »
Poom,

I do not expect you to test positive - PEP or no PEP - over this brief incident, regardless of how sore your penis was from having repeated protected intercourse. The optimum time for starting PEP is within the first 36 hours, with 72 hours being the cut-off, so you're too late at this point anyway.

You do need to test at the appropriate time though, just to make absolutely certain.

Make sure you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use and store them correctly. A correctly use condom rarely breaks.

The two leading causes of condom breakage are not using enough lube and not making sure there is no trapped air in the tip, particularly when using reservoir tips. Add into that an outdated or incorrectly stored condom and it's just asking for trouble. Make sure you read the links so you do not put yourself through this worry again in future. The top link is particularly informative and available in several languages.

Don't forget you should be tested for all the other, more easily transmitted STIs as well.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline poomkusa

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 03:55:23 pm »
i knew full well how unlikely it is but couldnt help but worried, but im pretty much ok right now tho since this is actually not the first time ive been through this situation.

i have one more question though. adding to the small chance HIV can transmit, if an infected person is still in the windows period, it means that they dont have as much virus in their body and the transmission rate would be even smaller, is that correct?

thanks for all the support. im sure i can go on with my life during these three months and will let you all know what my result is, tho im 99.9 percent sure it well be negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 05:03:47 pm »
Poom,

No, actually the opposite is true. Once a person has been infected for a few days to a week, the viral load begins to sky-rocket and the first few months of infection are usually a person's most infectious period.

Hiv tests do not look for the virus itself, they look for the antibodies the body produces to fight hiv infection. It takes a few weeks for enough antibodies to be produced to trigger a positive antibody result.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative result must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.