Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:27:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 452
Total: 453

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Broken condom, real risk, possible test this week.  (Read 15529 times)

Offline juanmx

Broken condom, real risk, possible test this week.
« on: October 14, 2006, 07:28:13 pm »

Greetings from Mexico, first I want to thank this community, you do a great job helping us the worriers ease our worries a little with real info. Ive been reading several post since 4 weeks ago and I wanted to post myself since Im 7 weeks after exposure.

I am a 22 heterosexual male and had a encounter I regret now with a sex worker in august, the thing that scares me the most is that the condom broke during the intercourse until I finished, surely wasnt more than 4-5 min unprotected as I was aware of that fact but didnt pay much atention as it never happened before.

3 days later tested neg for hiv. I tried to be calmed with info on the web of 1 in 2000 odd, desperately recolecting more info, until I started to develop symptoms a week and a half later and since then feeling that I must have hiv and emotionally in hell.

Ok symptoms are never reliable, but they felt so real, all started with a swollen sensation in the right part of the neck, all consistent with ars and gone within a day or two, except for that  pressure in my inner ear channel everytime I swallow saliva thats been here almost 6 weeks, 1)is this consistent with ars? I am courios why Ive never seen someone posting this symptom.

I hang on with hope on the fact that I felt I didnt develop a fever and no trunk rash being them the most consistent with ars, didnt feel that fatigued, no loss weight in fact I gained 3 pounds hoping that to be a good sign.

Ann, any thought? I read somewhere in the forum of you not knowing yet a single hetero male break condom seroconversion being that rare. 2)Is me being from a developing country changing that expectation? hope not, I am middle class, healthy, no drug user, mexico hiv incidence is less at .17%

Thank very much in advance.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Broken condom, real risk, possible test this week.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 07:47:38 pm »
juan,

Your location in the world makes no difference to the science of hiv.

You have had a risk, but the odds are very much in your favour of testing negative. As the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, a test now would be an excellent indication of your true status. However, a negative result now MUST be confirmed at the three month point.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

As you already know, symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection. The ONLY way to know your status is the appropriate test at the appropriate time.

Take your ear to the doctor - what you describe is more consistent with an inner ear infection than hiv. Get it seen to by a doctor and stop guessing about it.

Test, but expect a negative result.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline juanmx

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:00:55 pm »
I did go to doctors and they put me confused and concerned. This is the scenario:

General practioner:
I went 3 weeks after expusure, 1 1/2 weeks after symptoms. At tha time I was feeling a burning and swollen sensation in my armpits, swollen sensation in neck and pressure in ears while swallowing.
I didnt tell her my risk exposure.
She didnt find any swollen glands in armpits and the burning sensation she said maybe was neurological since she didnt see any irritation. The swollen sensation she said maybe was a flu that did not developed because she found a light sinus infection. She found no infection in ears, no fever. She felt no swollen neck but very light and that was the reason for the ear pressure, that the channels did touch everytime a swallow saliva.

Urologist:
I went the same day.
I told him my risk exposure.
He didnt find a physical trace of std's, no groin glands, he said I put myself at risk but that I looked healthy, that I must stay calm or my defenses would lower. He found no necesity of testing at all until 2 months to ease my anxiety.

Infectologist:
4 weeks after exposure, 2 1/2 after symptoms
She is the one that lowered my expectations. She confused me, all at once she predicted a bad outcome but just based on what I told her ( AREN'T SYMPTOMS A BAD PREDICTOR WHEN IT COMES TO HIV???) Is that professional at all? She found no fever, the two lumps on my hips desapeared by that time, she checked, found nothing but again she was like "they are supposed to be in the groin", so no Lymphoadenopathy diagnosed. She didnt even check my painless sore throat. I asked her, may that be hep-b?, no. Herpes?,no. Hep-c?,no. HPV?,no. She was going to give me a penicillin shot, she wasnt. Just prescribed Tafil for anxiety and a test at 8 week mark expecting a positive result and me to have a hope but be prepared for a positive.

What, what is that? confusing or it was primary hiv. Now you see why I am hopeless. Symptoms as I told you I had most except for fever, trunk rash and fatigue. most of them gone within hours, a day or two, most light, some mild. I havent take medicine. What it is still here is a light swollen sensation in neck and the pressure in ears while swallowing.

1) Again I am intrigued why anyone with symptoms saying anything about their ears? evident even with a very light swollen neck.

2)I Know the test will say everything, and I will test this week, but I'd like opinions. Is that Hiv or whats going on with this doctor??

HIV FROM A BROKEN CONDOM; THATS UNFAIR FROM LIFE!
DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK, EXPECT, IM PREttY HOPELESS AND CONFUSED.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 12:17:30 pm »
juan,

Nothing in your second post changes what I said to you earlier. Go back and re-read my previous reply to you.

The odds are definitely in your favour of testing negative at the appropriate time. But you do need to test to know for certain.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline juanmx

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 12:26:05 pm »
Ann, I agree but the difference here with many other post is that I received a bad prediction from a 
Infectologist... Im confused because symptoms arent supposed to be predictors? and this doctor did the opposite

Offline juanmx

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 12:30:29 pm »
Ann, it was meant to be protected, and did not consent the possibility of sti.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 02:33:43 pm »
Juan,

The doctor who gave you that dire prediction either doesn't know much about hiv transmission and infection, or she is using her position to frighten you because she disproves of people having sexual relations outside of a traditional, heterosexual marriage. Doctors are human too and sometimes allow their personal beliefs to cloud their judgment. And yes, it's an unprofessional practice.

You have a very, very good chance of testing negative, but you MUST test at the appropriate time.

And by the way, I realise you used a condom. Make sure you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line. A correctly used condom rarely breaks, so learn how to prevent this happening to you again in future.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juanmx

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 03:46:22 pm »
Yes that's a possibility I considered with that doctor due to few details I saw her attitude, thanks Ann you notice something in that direction, those words give some calm to myself. And yes again I am almost certain the condom broke because I didn't use lub that day and improper use, I rely on the lub that came with the condom, at this time I know it was a terrible mistake I was not constant on lub but condom never broke before that event. You know the things in the right direction. Hope you to be right in my chances too.

Oh man these 7 weeks have been the worst of life and is not over yet! Undoubtly this is a life changing experience. I definitely will test tomorrow or Tuesday at 50 days post exposure hoping with all my soul to come back negative, and the conclusive test at 13 weeks.

If negative at 7 weeks, how reliable would it be? Ive seen different numbers ranging from 85% to 97%

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 09:41:52 pm »
A negative at 7 weeks would be more than just a little reassuring. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. So a negative at 7 weeks would make it very, very unlikely that your test result at 13 weeks is going to be anything other than another negative result.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline juanmx

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 12:17:31 pm »
Thanks Andy. Now I just came back from testing, results tomorrow, ill tell you tomorrow, Is going to be a negative faith!! faith!! faith!!. I was extremely anxious and later terrified when the nurse asked me if i was in anticoagulant medication because after pulling out the needle the blood didnt stop coming out for like 10 secs, Is this something to do with HIV???

Now I really cant function, Im terribly scared, this is going to change life forever one or either way.

I know Odds are with me, it was just a single insertive vaginal condom breakage exposure never happening again , but then who knows if theres a universe conspiration against me, terrible bad luck, if I turn to be positive from this event. And mexican statistics on ways of hiv infection are making me really concerned!

Sorry I cant help it, im scared to death!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 01:43:58 pm »
Bleeding at the injection site has nothing to do with HIV at all. If you would have applied pressure you wouldn't have had the seepage. If you really think there is a conspiracy to get you, then you are out of our scope for help. Seek the help of a mental health professional.

Offline juanmx

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 07:06:31 pm »
RapidRod Its hard not to lose control right now , hiv whats on the table !

Take a look please. These are official numbers in Mexico and are making me really concerned.

HIV Transmission in Mexico

Sexual accounts for 92%

MSM          47%
Heterosexual 45.2%

78% from age 15-44

These numbers are telling me that one woman is infecting at least 3 men!

Whats going on here???
Isnt supposed harder to acheive female to male transmission??
45% hetero, Are men lying??
Is it just plain unawareness from people?
Ann you just said hiv science has nothing to do with geographical location, then why these numbers are so different from US or many other countries?

Theres no available explanation on these numbers. Does anyone have any conclusion on so many hetero infections?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 07:19:33 pm »
Those numbers don't mean anything. They don't apply to you. You don't know that you are even infected. Don't get the cart before the horse.

Offline juanmx

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 10:46:58 pm »
Hiv help line told me the same Rapid. I dont know ,Is just that this situation so hard

I would like to know if some of the positives in this comunity remember of having this ear pressure while swallowing saliva during their primary infection or having it from time to time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 12:10:50 am »
Juan,

This is an hiv testing and tranmsission forum, it is not a social forum. I will thank you to limit your posts to your own thread. When you post unnecessarily in other threads as you have been doing, all it does is make the thread longer and more difficult to navigate.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ear pressure has nothing to do with hiv infection. As I've already told you, take your ear problems to your doctor. We cannot diagnose your ear here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juanmx

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 10:24:52 pm »
Sorry Ann, not happening again

THank God my result came back negative, 7 weeks or 51 days post exposure. I know is not conclusive but..

Are my chances pretty much better at 3 month mark than before this test?

I am still having some light symptoms, Could this delay the result?

Nobody seems to know what generation is my elisa but is the one that is use to be conclusive at 3 months, May I rely the same on my 7 week result?

In your experience how often its seen a neg past 7 weeks becoming positive at 3 months?

Thanks

Offline juanmx

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 12:21:23 pm »
This doctor at medhelp.org recalls seen very few cases in his career from people testing neg at 6 weeks and then pos at 3 month mark, Is this way too optimistic? or there is some kind of error?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 06:31:09 pm »
juan,

As I've already told you, most people seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. Your seven week test is extremely unlikely to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juanmx

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 08:00:45 pm »
Hi again, thanks for your replies, I am at 2 weeks since my 7 week test and worries return again. Symptoms persist and I know you see very unlikely my test to come back posite at 13 weeks after a neg 7 week test from this single broken condom incident but I have some questions:

What would be the reason for the small numbers who seroconvert between week 6 and week 13?

I know we can trust in your knowledge, but where did you get it?

I ask because from all of the info in internet just aidsmeds and medhelp agree in this data of 22 days average seroconversion. Thebody does not agree the same, and they are supposed to be reliable too! EVERYBODY OUT THERE IS NOT THAT OPTIMISTIC IN A 7 WEEK TEST.

Please help,   MAy I rest my worries and expect a neg at 13 weeks or not?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 09:47:14 pm »
Hey! Hey! HEY!

Feelings are not facts. A negative test result is a fact. A negative test result at 7 weeks after a single POSSIBLE exposure is more than a little encouraging. Like Ann I expect you to continue to test negative.

You need to stop with guessing and trying to get rid of all your doubts and uncertainties. Only a test result is going to give you a conclusive answer. What you need to do is to stop shopping right now for any more (dis)information and certainty.

Stay productively busy for the few remaining weeks before your final test and you will be amazed at how much faster and easier the time can pass. OR you can make yourself real crazy and focus instead on every anxious thought your mind comes up with. You decide which is a healthier choice. No kidding.

I expect you to come out of this ok. 
Andy Velez

Offline juanmx

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 10:20:37 am »
Andy I try to stay away from thoughts, it is hard, Ok finally I got to know the type of elisa my lab handles. The test is very cheap about 10 usd, blood test, next day results. Im planning a second 9 week test.

Could someone tell me if CHEMO IMMUNOFLUORESCENCE AUTOMATED VITRO ASSAY is last or reliable technology to dectect antibodies from most (not all I know) people within 4-6 weeks?

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 11:10:33 am »
juan,

Most people will test positive - if they've actually been infected - by six weeks, no matter what ELISA test is used.

I've yet to see a man (as the insertive partner) test positive after a condom break. Your seven week negative is unlikely to change and I fully expect you to continue testing negative. Instead of wasting money and resources on a nine week test, wait for the three month point and collect your conclusive negative result then.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juanmx

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 01:15:08 pm »
Ok so this monday november the 27th is my conclusive 13 week test, anxiety is rising top levels again. Against Ann's recommendation I made a second test at 9 weeks which came back negative too, so I expect a neg this time too.

This time I am going to test in another lab four times expensive than the other, an abbott axsym elisa test. Is it necesary? I just cant take away from my mind that expensive= better, more reliable.
I am sure that sex worker gave me something! I feel something stationed in the right part of the neck, I just dont want to know what it is until I am sure is not HIV.

2 negs, one at 7 weeks the other at 9, please tell me it is really really hard to change.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 02:25:31 pm »
juan,

It's unlikely that your three month test will be any different than your other two. The odds always were in your favour of testing negative and I'm fully expecting your conclusive test to also be negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline juanmx

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 01:00:53 pm »
I took my conclusive test and the nurse had a hard time reaching my vein, I guess she was new and I dont know if she took the propper amount of blood. And I am thinking that maybe that will not give an exact result.
Is there any exact amount of blood needed to do an exact test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 03:50:38 pm »
It doesn't take much blood at all to run a test for HIV.

Offline juanmx

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 12:52:35 pm »
Well just as all of you expected my 13 weeks conclusive test is a NEGATIVE. Add a new number in the negatively tested people forum statistics. I want to thank everybody for the help these weeks, I learned a lesson I will apply from now on.
Everybody reading this Im just another example that symptoms mean "absolutely nothing", I had a lot of them and Im conclusively hiv negative. Get tested dont go by the symptoms.

Offline juanmx

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 12:14:35 pm »
Sorry, ok I posted it here. Now I decided to have a protective receptive oral sex with I suspect is a IV drug user SW. In the middle of the act I regret and immediatly stoped, so I made a handjob myself without condom. My worry is that she suddenly started coughing and my penis was right away in the same direction and very near. Is there something to worry about? Maybe is stupid, but the words of the experts are very wise and helpful. Ive learned a lot from you.

Thank you very very much in advance.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »
No risk for HIV.  Please read the lovely section on Transmission in the Welcome Thread of this forum. 
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline juanmx

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 07:33:38 pm »
Hi again. Hope everything is fine. Since my expusure a year ago Ive been a constant reader of the forums and well this time my worry is not risk related but one related from reading other members posts. There are some cases in the I just tested positive forum were people claim to test positive out of non risky events like blowjobs or they go as far as protected blowjobs ::) I dont know, they seem kind of convincing, it worries me pretty much and non of the administrators reply anything, it brings the notion that it could be possible to test positive out of that kind of events. Is it really possible?? because then Ive been at risk. Thank you.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 08:09:01 pm »
Juan,

The I Just Tested Positive forum is a place for positive people to discuss their particular issues. If you choose to lurk there and read things that are not intended for your eyes and you end up all freaked out that's your problem.

As we have repeatedly told you, you were not at risk of being infected and you don't have HIV. Rather than snooping around here reading things that don't concern you, I suggest you go and get on with your life.

MtD

Offline juanmx

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 11:46:19 pm »
Hello again, Ann, Andy, rapid thank you for having this forums, your work always is very appreciated. I realize with this forum that time passes so quick that theres no need to worry but then here you have me again. I want to ask if I need testing for HIV, my incident, a very little non bleeding scratch in my hand having contact with some sort of breast fluid from a woman of risky behaviors, this fluid wasn't breast milk because she is almost 50. Thanks

Kind regards

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 01:20:33 am »
That is not how HIV is transmitted.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline juanmx

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 03:04:51 am »
Ok rapid, sorry, I have anxiety disorder and Hiv worries me a lot.

Concerning being sexually active in terms of std's testing, over a period of 1 year receiving protected oral, the incident above and mutual touch need testing?

Thank you

Offline juanmx

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 12:18:06 pm »
Please read, this is my particular situation right now. I am undergoing some sort of muscle atrophy or wasting problem from quite several months, so I decided last week to bring myself to the GP because my strength is suffering and I am feeling my bones in bed at night. I am sedentary but this problem never happened before.

So GP mentioned HIV, and I started worrying again, I mentioned her about my risk exposure 2 and half years ago and that tested - 3 times, the last being 1 year after exposure in sep07 and not having risky exposures since then. So she wanted me to take an hematological test. I bring her the test on thursday an everything was in normal range except for hemoglobin which can be raised by eating green vegetables. Her conclusion was that maybe it is ideopathic or highly unlikely neurological.

If this was hiv related atrophy, would my hematological test thrown some evidence?

Do you beleive Hiv testing is warranted? just in case

Thank you

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 12:44:58 pm »
Juan,

Whatever is going on with you has NOTHING to do with hiv. You are conclusively hiv negative.

Keep working with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is going on. It certainly is NOT hiv. You don't have hiv.

You ARE hiv negative! It's time you got on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.