Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:25:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cant get enough !  (Read 10167 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Cant get enough !
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »
I have never been a shopper until recently but I just cant seem to stop here lately . Its mostly cheap stuff like clothing on sale but not always .

Do you guys ever have little things you are drawn to or stuff you just cant seem to pass by without buying ? . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Cant get enough !
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:04:44 pm »
Lately it's been Easter candy.  I also like good perfume, and good make-up.  Obviously I don't have the money to buy that kind of stuff all the time, but when I do, watch out Macy's and Sephora!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline DanMo

• Finally undetectable! ;D
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:08:14 pm »
I have a very big weak spot for books. I can't walk into a store without visiting the book section and seeing what I can pick up.

Dan
“I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.” —Frida Kahlo

11 Feb 2011 - Preliminary positive
07 Mar 11 - Inconclusive WB
14 Mar 11 - Diagnosed positive
05 Apr 11 - 355 (21%) / VL: 186,054
27 Apr 11 - 390 (20%) / VL: 285,095
06 Jun 11 - 298 (19%) / VL:  78,380
01 Aug 11 - > STARTED ATRIPLA <
30 Aug 11 - 699 (31%) / VL: 1,938
03 Nov 11 -                / VL: 645
27 Dec 11 - 559 (35%) / VL: 1,189
11 Jan 12 -                 / VL: <20
09 Apr 12 - 686 (40%) / VL: UD
11 Jul 12 - 793 (37%) / VL: 25

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:14:16 pm »
Story of my life.  ???
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:23:53 pm »
I got out of the habit when I was pretty much on the edge of destitution.  Although things are MUCH better now, I just dont have much desire to go out and spend like I once did.  I seek huge bargins when I do part with my dollars and cents these days. 

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »
In my 20's when I was going out every Sat night I always bought a new outfit.  Now seldom buy anything new shop exclusively at consignment or Goodwill.  Haven't bought new shirts or pants in years.  Only problem I have gotten real cheap won't pay the regular $5 for a Brooks Brothers shirt unless it's on sale!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 06:29:55 pm »
I bought a huge selection of licorice in Germany this month. They have so many varieties and strengths. At least it was a cheap affordable binge.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:44:38 pm »
Goodwill has sales? I like that.

Salvation army here has categories on sale each day. 

I am fortunate that I didn't live in the states during that first year of this economic crisis. I heard the sales were phenomenal because nobody was buying anything.  Anna Wintour had a campaign about how it could/should never happen again (the bitch).  I dunno but 20 bucks for a so-called luxury brand shirt, made in china, seems like the correct price, not 150.

I love 80% or 90% off sales on chinese imported christmas deco junk. Seems finally to arrive at the correct price when its that cheap.

If I had half a million dollars I would buy a house and do a bed and breakfast, i think it'd be in 7th heaven filling it up.  But there's no demand for such places in this country. 

A friend who shares this passion and I thought of an idea to start a rental business where we rent vintage table settings. But it just seems like it would be difficult to make a profit and it would be a lot of work keeping the inventory, photographing it, marketing it, insuring it, and how much profit?  nah

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »
I have a hard time passing by Metropolitan Bakery.  The good smells of hand-made breads is too overwealming.  I especially like their cheesy breadsticks.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:57:43 pm »
Haven't bought new shirts or pants in years.  Only problem I have gotten real cheap won't pay the regular $5 for a Brooks Brothers shirt unless it's on sale!
Where are you getting Brooks Brothers anything for $5.  I'm addicted to Brooks Brothers.  Thats my weakness.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »
Lately it's been Easter candy.  !

Oh I luvs the easter candy, especially the chocloate covered marshmallow bunnies, the Peeps, the Candy bunnies, jelly beans. I usually hit the stores the day after easter and get all the goodies on sale

Thank you Jesus for rising from the dead and giving us all this yummy candy!! Glory BE to him!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline woodshere

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:28:04 pm »
Where are you getting Brooks Brothers anything for $5.  I'm addicted to Brooks Brothers.  Thats my weakness.

Jewish Women's League has a huge store of used clothing about a block from me.  Couple of weeks ago bought 4 high end designer dress shirts, 2 pair of pants and 2 ties for under $50.  Great place!!!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:54 pm »
Do you guys ever have little things you are drawn to or stuff you just cant seem to pass by without buying ? . 

Do cigarettes count?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 10:35:29 pm »
Pectin jelly beans. I don't buy em cause 1) they dont have them in Switzerland, except Jelly Belly's vastly overpriced, and 2) if I have em I have to eat them ALL.

I have to put seeds and raisins in my easter candy dishes, sad sad sad.  

My great grandmother used to put on the most amazing easter candy displays. All these great candies in all sorts of crystal and china bowls. Ribbon candy too. So pretty. On all sorts of doilies and shit.

Also she gave us each one of those eggs that I can't find anymore - size of an ostrich egg made of hard candy and iciing and inside there were crystal candy wonderland displays.  I was sure they are German or Austrian but I went in the candy shops in Cologne and described them and the salespeople looked at me like i was nuts.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:37:21 pm by mecch »

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:39:23 pm »
Malted eggs OK. Peeps - no thanks.

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »
Here's a picture of a modern form of these eggs:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/holidays-easter/how-to-make-hollow-sugar-easter-eggs-081520

Says to make them at home.  AS IF!

But in the olden times (my youth!) they were much more sparkly!

Oh shit look, there's even an article about them in the times a few years back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/13/fashion/thursdaystyles/13ONLINE.html

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:52:36 pm by mecch »

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 11:15:31 pm »
DJ equipment, every few yrs. I always upgrade it to something newer, the tech changes so fast, that  2 to 3 yrs. there always something with more gadgets to mix music and play with, it's an old hobby that I enjoy  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 11:32:47 pm »
I Love Owls, and no matter where I am in the world I can never pass a gift shop without going in...these are the Owls the guys bought me in Mexico City at the AMG...I have a house full of them (almost).. ;)

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 12:29:58 am »
You guys are collecting some cool things , I on the other hand have been a bit boring with stuff like landscaping shrubs and plants . I decided to take it slow with the yard , two years and I'm am almost done now . I love going to nursery's and finding odd things to plant and of course looking for bargains .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 01:16:05 am »
I'm a sucker for masks

This is one wall of them from my old, old house. I had three other wall sections in the living room, and some in the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms for a total of 189 masks. Right now I only have about 40 displayed in my bedroom since I moved into my Mom's. Even though I have two crates packed full of them in the attic, you'd be surprised how many I can't pass up that I find in dollar stores, gift shops, yard sales, craft stores (I was just looking at 10 I have in box that I need to paint and decorate), and that my friends get for me.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 10:01:50 am »
@anniebc:  I love your owls.  I have a good friend who collects pelicans.  Until I met him, I would have never thought there was so much pelican paraphernalia available.  He can't resist buying them, and his home is stuffed full with pelicans!

@leatherman:  Awesome collection of masks.  Personally, though, I find masks a bit creepy.  Kinda like clowns.

@woodshere:  A new outfit every Saturday night??????

Myself, I don't spend or buy so much.  I'm a saver, not a spender.  There are a few things, though, that catch my eye occasionally:  bow ties (the real ones, not pre-tied), fleur-de-lis, and bubble gum / chewing gum.  If anyone can see any relation between these, please let me know.

Cheers,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline woodshere

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17:59 am »
@woodshere:  A new outfit every Saturday night??????

That was in my younger superficial days after i first came out.  Thought that made me more desireable.  And oh my some of the things I bought, not good!  Fortunately I have matured greatly since that time.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 10:30:09 am »
I collect nothing as I detest the concept of tchotchkes.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 10:43:21 am »
I collect nothing as I detest the concept of tchotchkes.

Me too, when I get tried of something I'll donate it the the Good Will  less clutter, some people are just fucking hoarders ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 10:43:58 am »
I collect nothing

Except for those 10,000 Albums
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 10:45:03 am »

And poppers  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 10:46:29 am »

500 LPs & 300 12' singles, 200 CD's in a whole room full of DJ-recording-equipment, I call it my home studio  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:48:28 am by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 10:59:27 am »

That's a past habit.  I've not added to that since 2003.

Offline denb45

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 11:39:34 am »
That's a past habit.  I've not added to that since 2003.

Miss Philicia let's open up a music store, you can do all of the books, and I'll do all of the heavy lifting, and DJ-work, it could be fun , you might even find the man of your dreams that way, u never know ;D

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:42:36 am by denb45 »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 11:51:33 am »
My partner collects nutcrackers from all over the world. It is like there is a creepy army in our living room at Christmas time. If these things ever magically come to life we are either doomed or taking over the city.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 11:56:14 am »
This thread is becoming very illustrative of acute obsessive compulsive disorders.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 11:57:21 am »
500 LPs & 300 12' singles, 200 CD's in a whole room full of DJ-recording-equipment, I call it my home studio  ;)
Since I haven't had a turntable in 15 yrs or more, I dumped 423 CDs and 275 LPs/singles into a portable hard drive and then got $275 for all that old medium at a record/CD trade-in shop. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 11:59:46 am »
My partner collects nutcrackers from all over the world. It is like there is a creepy army in our living room at Christmas time. If these things ever magically come to life we are either doomed or taking over the city.

My friend Tim collects Dolls so when I'm at his house I turn there creepy little porcelain heads towards the wall in my bedroom . I did have a Atripla dream once where one of those dolls talked to me so its possible for those nutcrackers to come to life even if its while you sleep  :o  
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 12:01:06 pm »
This thread is becoming very illustrative of acute obsessive compulsive disorders.

Are you suggesting we repeatedly wash our hands of it ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 12:04:01 pm »
My partner collects nutcrackers from all over the world.

I always liked those little guys.  My cousin brought one back to us from West Germany in the 70s before they became so popular here in the states.  The craftsmanship of some of those older ones blows these newer Wally World wannabees away.  

Tim collects Dolls so when I'm at his house I turn there creepy little porcelain heads towards the wall in my bedroom . I did have a Atripla dream once where one of those dolls talked to me

This sounds like the basis for another Stephen King book/movie.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:15:22 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »

Damn this thread made me realize I haven't bought myself anything other than a turtle in the last 5 years.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:06 pm »

Damn this thread made me realize I haven't bought myself anything other than a turtle in the last 5 years.

Now that is impressive.

(I think there's a congratulatory letter from the Dalai Lama himself if you make it to 10 years. Or there should be!)

Offline denb45

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 01:04:55 pm »
Since I haven't had a turntable in 15 yrs or more, I dumped 423 CDs and 275 LPs/singles into a portable hard drive and then got $275 for all that old medium at a record/CD trade-in shop. ;)

I still have my 2 TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 turntables, you know the one's with that big-ass slide-rule pitch-control
for beat-mixing, and yeah miss p this thread has all the making of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, and I've been there before, it's not a good thing  ::)

Offline woodshere

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 01:21:46 pm »
I do have a fondness for purchasing too many "toys" of a certain nature.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:09 pm »
I do have a fondness for purchasing too many "toys" of a certain nature.

Let me guess... not the kind you would enjoy opening on Christmas morning in front of the family...  Just a hunch!

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 03:06:21 pm »
I have a huge weakness for antique books, curios, electronics, video games and cars. Clothes, not so much. If I come across an antique or exotic car, I'll literally stop in my tracks, stare at it and drool (unless it's a Corvette, then I just ignore it). Just love those little stores in NYC with so much random stuff, I've spent days just looking through these places.

And don't get me started on my love-hate relationship with CompUSA. :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.