HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

exposure possibility & test accuracy

(1/1)

lvninfear:
I'm at the 6th week now of possible exposure and I've been going out of my mind with these possible symptoms.  I had one time unprotected vaginal sex with a stranger.  Of course I'm assuming the worst in thinking she was a possible introvenous drug user.  We had unprotected oral (very briefly), and again, unprotected vaginal sex (10min) with me ejaculating inside of her.

I went to the local aids clinic last week (me at 5 weeks possible exposure), and got the whole 9 yards.  Oral (negative), blood, throat culture, you name it.  They even gave me a Hep A shot, and I'm supposed to go back for a series of hep shots.

My questions are:
1) how accurate is the oral test at 5 weeks (35days)?
2) I have read that HIV + female to - male is about 5% risk, does this change with viral load?

Thank you for your time!

Matty the Damned:
Unprotected vaginal sex is indeed a risk for HIV transmission. Nevertheless the likelihood of you having contracted HIV from this incident is not high. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit, especially from woman to man.

A 35 day negative test result is most encouraging. The majority of people who test positive for HIV do so at about the 22 day mark. I would expect that your 13 week test result will be negative too. Nevertheless, it's important that you test again at 12-13 weeks from that date of the unprotected encounter. HIV is nothing to guess about.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

lvninfear:
Many thanks Matt!
I most definately plan on having a 13week confirmation as well.

This is a wonderful site!  I'm only sad that I didn't find it a few weeks ago.

Keep up the great job!

Matty the Damned:
I'm glad we've been able to help you.

MtD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version