Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:10:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 487
Total: 489

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1 year later  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Rockin

1 year later
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:46:23 pm »
Well guys it's been 1 year now since I found I'm positive and 1 year since I started HAART. First of all I wanted to say thank you, this forum has been a tremendous help to me. I do not know personally any one who's HIV+ (that I know of, I probably know some) so this has been my only outlet for my concerns.

Above all, this forum is important because of the amount of information available. I learned so much from reading posts and discussing with some of you. I learned much more than I would with my doctor or by reading random articles online.

Has my life changed? Not really. Not because of HIV. I'm still doing the same things, still worried about the same things, still hanging with my friends, still drinking, still having sex (strictly on the safe side, of course) and I do not worry about the future. What matters is the present, period. And, for now, I'm perfectly healthy, both in body and mind.

Quick update: I do not have all my exams with me but I started HAART in August 2011 after a nasty case of pneumonia. CD4 was 290, VL was 17,000. Doc told me to wait a month to see if my CD4 would go up without any meds. Nope, 30 days later and CD4 went to 260. Time for HAART.

Doc put me on Atazanavir+3TC+Tenofovir. Effavirenz was a no because of resistance. After 2 months VL was not UND yet (and he believed that, me being young with a low VL that should have happened already) so he decided that it would be best to include Norvir to boost the Atazanavir. Then some mild jaundice began.

Latest test in July 2012: CD4 351, 21% and UND. Great news!

So today I took a big step and decided to switch Atazanavir for Fozamprenavir. My bilirubin is always sky high and my eyes never went back to being completely white. And my doctor said that, by the looks of it, this situation was not gonna get better, I'd have to deal with the jaundice maybe forever. It's a very small side effect, I know, and I would not be complaining about it if there was no other way. Better than having constant diarrhea like some people who are under different meds.

Anyway, I asked him if he would be against the switch and he said not at all because, beind UND, he said there was some flexibility in switching meds.

As for side effects, he said one possible side effect of Fozamprenavir is increase in cholesterol levels but well, I try to eat as healthy as possible and never had a problem with that. I will be keeping an eye on my future blood tests to see how it goes.

With that said...I wanted to give a special thanks to Ann, Joe and Leatherman, for your kind words and some tough love that is necessary at times.

Offline Common_ground

Re: 1 year later
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:14:36 pm »
Great to have you here. I often agree with your replies and you seem to have a sensible and modern outlook on HIV.

Keep on Rockin  8)
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Rockin

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »
Great to have you here. I often agree with your replies and you seem to have a sensible and modern outlook on HIV.

Keep on Rockin  8)

Thanks Common, really appreciate it

Offline karry

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 06:14:23 pm »
Hi Rockin!
Happy HIVesary!
Heres to many more years ahead.
K
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline Cojo

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:27:57 pm »
Congrats Rockin on a year later with chin up, optimistic outlook and meds working just fine.
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:55:02 pm »
Rockin;  Thank you for your post -- as a "newbee" I hear that life doesn't change that much, but it really helps to get that confirmation from others.  Like you, this is my source and connection (for now at least).

Thanks again, and I wish you many more healthy anniversaries,

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Rockin

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »
Rockin;  Thank you for your post -- as a "newbee" I hear that life doesn't change that much, but it really helps to get that confirmation from others.  Like you, this is my source and connection (for now at least).

Thanks again, and I wish you many more healthy anniversaries,

JM

That's the reason I decided to create this thread...to show that life doesn't necessarily have to change that much because of it, even though I know it's not like that to some people.

PS: So jealous of your CD4 man  ;)

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »
a whole Year?!?! W00T!   ;D

so you decided to switch to stop the jaundice? Well, that's good really. It was stressing your liver. And it's not like there weren't other meds to go to. Heck in a worst-case end-of-the-world scenario you could even switch back, if necessary.

Before you know it, you'll be posting "year #5", then "year #10"!
Happy HIVaversary and here's to many more! ;D :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »
a whole Year?!?! W00T!   ;D

so you decided to switch to stop the jaundice? Well, that's good really. It was stressing your liver. And it's not like there weren't other meds to go to. Heck in a worst-case end-of-the-world scenario you could even switch back, if necessary.

Before you know it, you'll be posting "year #5", then "year #10"!
Happy HIVaversary and here's to many more! ;D :-*

Hahaha thanks! Yes, I'm pretty sure I'll be posting many other anniversaries!

And yes, my doc told me I could switch back to Atazanavir if my cholesterol levels increase too much but I'm really hoping this do not happen, I want to enjoy the white in my eyes lol.

BTW I also started to take Hep B vaccine. I know, bad bad boy me, never took it before. Got tested for it a while back and it came negative but I decided to not take any chances.

Hey Leather, I posted on another thread something about oral HPV and I'm actually quite concerned about it because I know it's becoming a very common thing. Is there any way to get tested for it? 

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 02:02:00 pm »
BTW I also started to take Hep B vaccine. I know, bad bad boy me, never took it before. Got tested for it a while back and it came negative but I decided to not take any chances.

Hey Leather, I posted on another thread something about oral HPV and I'm actually quite concerned about it because I know it's becoming a very common thing. Is there any way to get tested for it?
after having teh aids for nigh onto 20 yrs, it wasn't until 2 yrs ago when I moved back home (from OH to SC) that my new (and first ever!) ASO  vaccinated me for all sorts of stuff. It seemed like every time I went in they wanted to prick me for something (and not prick me in the nice way 8) LOL) I had the hepB way back though (how I miss the early 80s ;D ), so it was too late for that; but after having PCP a couple of times, and pneumonia a couple of times, I was glad for the pneunomvax. Lockjaw doesn't sound really nice for a lot of reasons, so I'm glad I got a tetanus booster too.  ;)

As far as I know right now the only approved HPV tests on the market are for screening women for cervical cancer. HPV is one of those tricky bugs. A lot of people have it, a lot of people clear it, a lot of people never have issues with it - and a lot of people have problems. If you're under 26 and male (those are the current recommendations), you can get the vaccination though and that should help. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »
after having teh aids for nigh onto 20 yrs, it wasn't until 2 yrs ago when I moved back home (from OH to SC) that my new (and first ever!) ASO  vaccinated me for all sorts of stuff. It seemed like every time I went in they wanted to prick me for something (and not prick me in the nice way 8) LOL) I had the hepB way back though (how I miss the early 80s ;D ), so it was too late for that; but after having PCP a couple of times, and pneumonia a couple of times, I was glad for the pneunomvax. Lockjaw doesn't sound really nice for a lot of reasons, so I'm glad I got a tetanus booster too.  ;)

My doc also recommended the pneunomvax but I'll have to go to another hospital for that. But I'll do it, the less concern, the better.

As far as I know right now the only approved HPV tests on the market are for screening women for cervical cancer. HPV is one of those tricky bugs. A lot of people have it, a lot of people clear it, a lot of people never have issues with it - and a lot of people have problems. If you're under 26 and male (those are the current recommendations), you can get the vaccination though and that should help. ;)

Oh well, I'm over 26...so there's no way of knowing if I have oral HPV unless the warts start to show up, is that it?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »
Congrats on your 1 year!

Im over 26 (almost 40) and got vaccinated for HPV this year.  My doc who is treating me for an HPV infection recommended it.  Also, I have never had warts, I wouldnt have known there was a problem except my clinic does yearly pap's and HRA 's to check for it.  Not all strains of HPV cause warts, in fact the strains that cause cancer do not cause warts.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 03:17:59 pm »
Bugsy,
how did you get to know you had HPV? Did it show up on your pap smear?

I mean not literally  :o, but on the report  :D
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Since2005

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 11:11:03 pm »
Congratulations Rockin! Happy Anniversary!! Keep it up!!

Offline britchick

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:43:07 am »
Hi!

Congrats Rockin!!!!!

Britchickx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 07:46:49 am »
Congrats on your 1 year!

in fact the strains that cause cancer do not cause warts.

Kinda curious where you obtained your "facts".

Rockin, congrats on having postive mental health dealing with this virus.  You've matured way beyond your physical years.  Keep on Rockin.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 10:35:09 am »
Kinda curious where you obtained your "facts".

The following was obtained from UCSF website

http://id.medicine.ucsf.edu/analcancerinfo/hpv/

There are over 200 different kinds of HPV but only about 20 or so commonly infect the genital region. HPV types 6 and 11 cause genital warts. Since warts do not usually progress to cancer, HPV 6 and 11 are considered to be "low-risk of cancer" HPV types. They are also called "non-oncogenic," meaning non-cancer-causing.

On the other hand, there are a variety of "high-risk," or oncogenic (cancer-causing) HPV types that also infect the anal canal. The most common of these is HPV type 16.

---my only point in my comment is really that people shouldn't assume that ssince they don't have warts that they are in the clear when it comes to HPV.  I've never had warts and it turned out I had high grade dysplasia that is becoming more difficult to treat.  Everyone should be having a anal pap and high resolution Anoscopy at least yearly.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:02:42 am by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 11:02:39 am »
The following was obtained from UCSF website

http://id.medicine.ucsf.edu/analcancerinfo/hpv/

Since warts do not usually progress to cancer, HPV 6 and 11 are considered to be "low-risk of cancer" HPV types. They are also called "non-oncogenic," meaning non-cancer-causing.

Quite a bit different than declaring they never progress to cancer.

Congrats on your 1 year!

Not all strains of HPV cause warts, in fact the strains that cause cancer do not cause warts.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.