Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:02:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 443
Total: 443

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How about a Depression & HIV Forum???  (Read 13715 times)

Dan J.

How about a Depression & HIV Forum???
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:10:12 pm »
Many of us deal with depression, me included. Would a forum dedicated to this topic be worth considering or would posting in Living With suffice?  What do you think?

Dan J.

Offline dixieman

Re: How about a Depression & HIV Forum???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:27:01 pm »
depression is a relative subject all to itself... but, I think living with section should suffice!... I meditate... visualize and just do the best I can... theres always someone else having  the same issues and or a more difficult time and circumstances with reflection to oneself... its called persepective? well thats a thought... anyone else?

Dan J.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:36:44 pm »
I know what meditation is but don't know much about such things.  How does visualizing help you with your depression?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 05:39:45 pm by Dan J. »

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:10:57 pm »
Hi Dan. A similar idea was proposed in June of last year and the interest wasn't very great. Here's the thread
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=860.0

I don't know if people feel any differently now

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 07:31:35 pm »
Or....a variation on the idea you submitted, Dan, would be a subcategory within Living With HIV. Food or thought. As an afterthought, perhaps the forum content hierarchy is not structured to allow subcategories. Huumm.

Visualization is a process of mental imaging and focus with the goal being that what you mentally hold before the minds eye will materialize/become a reality. It works on the principle that thoughts are things. Albeit, one would focus on realistic expectations. So it is a set of mental exercises in which one become more proficient with practice therefore manifestations occur because one draws them into one's life experience.
You have heard the saying, "Watch what you ask for, you may get it. It's a close cousin to this; it's a skill/discipline.
Cheers,
Mike
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:38:45 am by mjmel »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:57 pm »
aren't all the forums 'depression' inclusive?

Offline carousel

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:27:41 pm »
I'm not quite sure if it is a good idea, but maybe it would underline how people were feeling that entered such a forum and the support they needed at that time.

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:11:26 am »
I think depression is part of "living with HIV"...we all go through it...if we divide the forums anymore its going to make it more difficult find usefull thread....seperating categories is good but too much division and people dont know where to post....

I think the Long-Time Survivors thread is a good idea because there seems to be a lot of tension between two viewpoints...but it stilll think it makes it more difficult for everyone to connect because it excludes a lot of opinions or decent help that might be able to be offered from people who just tested positive or are relativly new....

i for one enjoy the different viewpoints...i take all points and advice and analyze individually and learn a little bit from everything (but im good at fishing out bad advice and i dont take things personally  ;D)

-josh
(who gets depressed but doesnt mind posting it in the living section or if its unrelated to hiv the offtopic)
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Dan J.

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:30:26 am »
This wasn't an idea to divide the forums even more. I feel depression is a major "by product" for lack of a better term with someone living with HIV. It manefest itself in each of us in different ways. Some get angry, other profoundly sad, some push away the very people who love them most. Depression hurts you the people around you & I think it affects the out come of our hiv treatment. ( I know of no scientific data on this subject)

I want to beat my depression, without antidepressants. They always seemed to make my symptoms worse.

Meditation and visiiualization are techniques I am interested in learning more about. Any suggestions on where to start?

.... Dan rambles on again.

Dan J.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 01:01:12 am »
Dan,

A few people here may be surprised I have issues with depression but it was part of my life long before HIV.  HIV didn't help but I think depression helps me deal with HIV.  I always expect the worst so anything better is a pleasant surprise. 

I think a forum for people dealing with depression is great but that's only because depression is the mental illness I grapple with most...  What about people with bipolar disorder, PTSD, OCD, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, and other mental illnesses?  Maybe more of us deal with depression than with other mental problems or maybe those people have never felt comfortable posting. 

With the creation of the Women with HIV and Long Term Survivors forums there have been several suggestions/requests for forums for other subcategories of people living with HIV.  I think the moderators will be hard pressed to implement any of the recent suggestions, including this one, without diluting the forums to the extent no one uses any of them or use becomes too narrowly focused. 

What I suggest is development of a "classification" system for SUBJECT lines so, for instance, a post with a subject of "DEPRESSION: blah blah blah" would most likely be read/responded to by someone dealing with depression, not one of the well-meaning folks who suggest you light a scented candle or think positive thoughts or "just be happy."  I've never had diabetes so don't know what living with diabetes is like.   Several relatives and friends have varying stages and types of diabetes so I know not to take one who just got bad news a box of chocolates and insist they eat some to feel better.  That's not a very good analogy but my mind is apparently dribbling out of my ears at alarming rates.  Anyway, my point is maybe a new way of posting can be tried so issues like depression, diabetes, chronic flatulence, whatever, can be addressed by the target audience when one posts a message on such specific issues. 

There are people here dealing with diabetes, hepatitis b or c, halitosis, etc. (actually, a halitosis forum is a wonderful idea!) and all of us could ask for a forum specific to "our" issues besides living poz.  I want a forum for the morbidly obese.  Maybe there should be a forum for people dying with AIDS since they so often seem to harsh the buzz of more insouciant members.  I've descended below bathos so will cease here.

The new forums are enough of a change that they need to be fully integrated with the site before any more major changes are made.   Only MHO.
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 02:29:44 am »
aren't all the forums 'depression' inclusive?

Since many (including me) have been attacked for talking about depression as making the board all about them, or people dealing with depression were called miserable (do a search)  this leads me to believe that there is a legitimate need for such a space where posters wouldn't be ridiculed or attacked for dealing with with the darkness of HIV.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 02:34:15 am »
It's hard to search what you've posted earlier than today because you seem to have erased them all.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 02:40:09 am »
Meditation and visiiualization are techniques I am interested in learning more about. Any suggestions on where to start?

Hi Dan,

you could try this: http://www.mindfulnesstapes.com/author.html

I found some help reading his books and use his cds quite regularly. Guided meditation is easier to start with.

hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Central79

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 08:06:50 am »
I suffer from depression also (mertazapine and analysis) and don't think there should be a forum solely dedicated to dealing with this issue - it's too broad of a thing, affecting most people (let alone those with HIV) at some point in life.

One of the cool things about posting in the "Living With" forum is that the thread about depression are right next to quite uplifting stuff fairly often - so you can get a bit of a lift. Imagine if we coralled all the depressed people into one place - we'd just be bouncing off each other all the time!

M.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 11:39:24 am »
Hi Iggy and All,

While I am in complete agreement about the need to be able to talk here about depression, I also see there maybe a need for a Forum which also includes other emotionally-related concerns as well.

However, at this immediate moment I am not in favor of establishing a depression-specific Forum, although that's just a personal opinion and one not written in stone. We've had a number of significant changes made to the Forums recently, and I would prefer to give some time for those to settle in. 

Meanwhile, I can repeat what we have said in the past, that we are absolutely committed to keeping this space safe for such conversations. If some attack related to depression slipped under the radar in the past it would not have been because of indifference on our part. It's not going to happen again.

Depression is often terribly isolating. I also don't think that it's a very unusual experience, although the lengths of time people live it can vary widely. I suggest that as a part of dealing with it your being able to talk about it here in this Forum can be helpful to one and all.  So I encourage anyone with this concern to speak up.  I know that takes courage and an energy which sometimes when in the throes of depression just doesn't feel like it's there. But to the best of your ability, try talking here. 

Looking forward to hearing your comments, 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:18:33 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Central79

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 12:11:19 pm »
I can tell you that we are absolutely committed to keeping this space safe for such conversations. If some attack slipped under the radar in the past it would not have been because of indifference on our part. It's not going to happen again.

Totally. I felt pretty safe opening up here a couple of weeks ago, and was glad I did. If another member was attacked for voicing something similar, I would definately step up. Depression and mental health is something I feel very strongly about, and is neglected horribly in medicine, and society in general.

If any of the people here have not read Joe's blog entry about depression, I recommend it: http://blogs.poz.com/joe/archives/2006/03/

M.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
I am not sure it would be wise to stick a bunch folks in a room who are all depressed..  Just Sayin... :)

Eric

Offline bear60

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 02:51:27 pm »
Eric
You took the words right out of my mouth. Christ, I'm depressed now.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 03:32:13 pm »
Depression has many facets and causes. There are different types of depression. I have plenty of life experience dealing with my own.

While I do think it's important that people who are dealing with depression are able to discuss it without disruption, surely that can be achieved right here in the "Living With" forum with basic simple respect and compassion if enough people want that to happen to make it happen.

I truly hope that's possible, because that's the only kind of environment I believe can be of any help to anyone.

My 2 cents.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 11:14:29 pm »
Speaking solely from my own experience in the past having dealt with severe depression, I think a depression forum is not the best idea.

When I was depressed I was not thinking straight - and I could barely maintain my own well-being - let alone provide sound advice to anyone else.

If I was doling out advice in a forum while in the throes of it, I could have only imagined what I would have said - and I am fairly certain it would not have been the best.

I think threads in the Living With Forum I've seen where people share what has/has not worked for them is useful. But a forum solely centered on people with depression is not, IMHO, the way to deal with a serious mental disorder that is best handled by an experienced psychiatrist/therapist and or therapies (meds, acupuncture, behavioral, etc.)

My view is that it is important to be honest about your depression - but I don't believe it is OK to let it fester, watch someone fester in it and not help them, and let it build to the point where it becomes life-threatening.

When I was depresed I wanted to hear it was OK to be and stay depressed - it's normal - and in a bizarre way it was comfortable being in a painful grey numbness. And, above all, I definetly wanted no judgement from anyone. But that is not what I needed and the opposite of what finally helped me work my way out of it.

If there was a forum whereby the chats or postings were moderated by a psychologist with experience dealing with depression, then I think it could be useful. But a whole forum of depressed people conductiong "cyber group therapy" is not going work.

Like I said, this is just my opinion having gone through it and am open to hearing other view points. But my vote is NO on a forum just centered on depression - unless it is supervised and moderated actively (active participation) by a trained healthcare professional.

Mike :)

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 12:07:54 am »
I have to side with StrongGuy on this one.  I definitely think such a forum would have to be heavily overseen by a profesional, but it was a question worth considering, Dan. 

I don't dispute that depression plays heavily into life for many of us in the High Five set.  Though for me personally, it wreaked more havoc on the pre-diagnosis side.  If I had found a better manner for confronting that problem, I might not be here on this forum now.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 07:20:49 am »
My take on a forum of this nature is a little different.

For a start, I would call it the Mental Health and HIV forum.

I envision it as a place where people can share their tips on what has worked for them to maintain their mental health, be it better living through chemistry, meditation, exercise or a combination of those techniques and more. My emphasis would be on health.

I also see it as a place where people can talk about other issues besides depression, such as self-esteem and being happy in your own skin. It would also be a place where people with other conditions such as bi-polar can discuss their treatment and how it impacts on hiv.

I DON'T see it as a place where depressed people would pull each other down. And it wouldn't be a place where you HAD to be depressed to post. There's plenty of us here who have been there and come out the other side who would be able to add constructive dialogue.

As for it being overseen by an expert, we do have a resident expert already overseeing these forums. He's called Andy Velez and he's a trained, practicing psychoanalytic psychotherapist. (See the About Us page.)

I'd like to see this forum given a chance, albeit in perhaps a month's time when the other new forums have settled in.

For the record, I'm voicing my opinion here as another member, not as a moderator and my opinion on this matter doesn't carry any more weight than any one else.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Iggy

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 11:37:26 am »
I agree with Ann's idea of a general mental health forum where depression would be one aspect of it.  Truly there is more than one mental health issue for those with HIV and such a broader forum would be an asset to many.

On the depression area and some of the above comments - Though I fully appreciate it was not meant that way - several posters making statements along the line of a bunch of depressed people just sitting around bringing each other down, or suggesting what is the best way to deal with depression is sort of compartmentalizing and minimizing the issue being discussed and is exactly a reason why we need a space for such issues. 

Depression can be unique in how it effects different people and no one (outside of a trained therapist in a one on one setting) should be saying what someone needs to hear in order "get better."   There are some people who depression is a chemical imbalance issue that no amount of talking about things is ever going to change because it is not a matter of just getting out of a funk ,or looking forward to the next day or next week, or just being told to start exercising, or don't worry it will get better  type of advice. 

The forum (or space within the mental forum) should not (hopefully) be about curing depression so much as allowing those who suffer it to be able to share what they are going through without the judgments of what others think they should be doing to correct their feelings.  I certainly agree that there is a danger in people enabling each other to feel bad, but there is also a very real and equal danger of denying people the right to feel and express what they feel when they do feel bad - telling them not to feel that way or telling them to stop dwelling in self pity or that they are allowing it to fester does not change the person's original feelings - it only forces them to remove themselves from others/outlet and deepen the depression.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:35:53 pm by Iggy »

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 12:17:44 pm »
Hey Ann,

I was thinking along the same lines of mental health instead of labeling it depression-specific.  I remember a poll on how many were taking antidepressants and it was quite a long list of people.  And the meds were not just antidepressant meds, too, but anti-anxiety, etc.  So the need does exist.  The question is whether or not a new forum is needed.  I think I'd be in favor of such.  It's along the same lines of why the newer forums were created (and it's not necessarily a bad thing to look outside the box and see the forums evolve in a different format than what it used to be).  Mental health issues tend to reveal people's darker side.  It's certainly not easy to put it in writing; it may also not be as easy to read or respond to but it's very real.  Perhaps if it has its own section, people dealing with such issues would not have to think twice (second guessing themselves about what repercussions their post might bring) when they are posting something they're experiencing.  Just my $0.02.

Gerry

Offline SASA39

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 01:42:47 pm »
Agree wth Ann completely on this:
Quote: "I DON'T see it as a place where depressed people would pull each other down" .
It should be more of an  advisory type.Just present your problem shortly and ask for an advice
                                       Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Dan J.

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 04:16:22 pm »
Ann I like your idea. I am axious to read what Peter thinks.

Dan
(who really needs a hug today, but doesn't have anyone available to give him one)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 04:19:12 pm »
(Hugs) Dan (Hugs)

Eric

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 08:03:24 am »
Those of you who have seen some of my posts in the past few months know
that I've been dealing with depression (among other mental health problems,
which I may post more about soon).  I do find myself actively looking through
the "Living with HIV" and "Treatment & Side Effects" forums looking specifically
for posts related to depression and mental health, trying to learn from others'
experiences.  So I would support a "Mental Health & HIV" forum.

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 08:18:41 am »
I've been thinking about possible names for a forum concerning mental health, and I wonder if perhaps the term "mental health" puts people off.

How do people feel about "Emotional Health and HIV"?

Just throwing an idea on the table...

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozinbama

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 08:34:24 am »
I do like the idea of a forum for this topic. I think that maybe people would be more likely to post in a "safe" place, similar to the new LTS forum, where people wouldn't worry about their posts turning into cynical debates.

I don't see anything wrong with the term "Mental Health". "Emotional Health" sounds like you're trying to "nice" it up maybe. Mental health is more than dealing with your emotions.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 01:15:01 pm »
A mental health forum would be a great idea to consider. I have been spinning around about this entire thought for some time now, but from a slightly different point of view. While I have long had depression problems, it is now considerably compounded by a definitive dementia component. The word frustrating is entirely insufficient, and it creates a vicious cycle. Abject exasperation comes to my mind(but only for a few minutes).
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 03:03:59 pm »
Ann,

The two terms are so closely linked. I would have no problem with Mental Health and HIV, if it would include all components (emotional, psychiatric, mood disorders and so on).

By the way, I agree that it could be a helpful new forum, if enough people express an interest. I am always concerned when people start diagnosing or prescribing remedies on the Internet, but if it were a discussion forum where people can express their concerns or problems and get supportive feedback then I’m all for it.

Daniel (who is not a doctor)  ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:05:33 pm by DanielMark »

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline bear60

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 07:33:22 pm »
I wonder if  Greif and Loss  would be covered in a Mental Health forum?  It could be.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 06:48:41 am »
I wonder if  Greif and Loss  would be covered in a Mental Health forum?  It could be.

Yes, I would think so. The tie-in would be coping with grief and loss in a way that is conducive to good mental health.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 08:04:49 am »
Daniel, I completely agree with you that it would be absolutely inappropriate for any diagnosing or prescribing to go on in this setting.

To me the need for the support which this kind of Forum could offer is already evident in what members have expressed. In some instances there's a tentativeness about the comments which reflects the isolation and uncertainty that is often experienced around emotional and mental health issues.

Along with noting what such a Forum can do, it's also important to be aware of what it cannot do. It is NOT therapy, although the experience of being able to discuss all kinds of things here IS therapeutic. It's important to note that difference which is a substantial one and not just a matter of semantics.

And yes, Bear, of course it is ok to talk about grief and loss. It's more than ok. It's exactly what needs to be happening. Treating the expression of these subjects respectfully and bringing topics out of the shadows into a place where they can be discussed offers the possibility of reducing shame and alleviating unnecessarily solitary pain.     

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:35:30 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 10:17:02 am »
*Edited because I changed my mind for the time being.

Melia
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 04:21:52 am by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 11:10:04 am »
-
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:55:48 pm by Jerry71 »

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 11:35:55 am »
I think we are segregating the forums too much.  For those of us not currently dealing with emotional issues, mental issues, LTS issues or womens issues I think we are missing out on invaluable information that could help us in the long run.  I know the arguement is that the information will still be on the board just under a different section.  But I honestly wouldnt check out those forums until a problem arose.  Unlike Living With where I may click on a thread because of its title or who posted it and then learn so much about a person and a situation. 

Those aha threads are eye opening at times and I feel it may be a disservice to remove those from the living with section.  I feel the same about LTS Forum.  I'm missing out on alot and we are allowing a segregation of sorts to take place it appears to me.  Where everyone can seperate into their own little neighborhood and we dont interact the way I think this place is designed for. 

Now this is just my two cents and means nothing in the long run but I felt I needed to state it.

I like having everyone contributing to the Living With Forum, I learn a hell of a lot more about life.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 11:53:16 am »
But I honestly wouldnt check out those forums until a problem arose.  Unlike Living With where I may click on a thread because of its title or who posted it and then learn so much about a person and a situation. 

Uh, perhaps you should alter your aidsmeds browsing patterns?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 12:23:34 pm »
I've been thinking about possible names for a forum concerning mental health, and I wonder if perhaps the term "mental health" puts people off.

How do people feel about "Emotional Health and HIV"?

Given the stigma of the term mental illness I think your idea is very good.

I still feel, however, such a forum might be biting off a little more than we can chew.  Has anyone else ever participated in an online group for people with mental health issues?  My experiences were limited but after joining 2 or 3 and trying to participate I gave up.  That's why I use AIDSmeds for all my professional counseling needs (please place your lower jaw back up from its dropped position).   >:(  ;)

All 3 places I used were the same.  People posted suicidal thoughts/urges, described their self-mutilation, or explained their agony and pain, but feedback was minimal and often about as helpful as suggestions like "think happy thoughts!"  My mental health issues are best dealt with by a trained professional, but maybe I have more on that particular plate than many others...

I have, ahem, used AM unfairly during a period when depression was as deep and dark as it gets.  I know others have before me and in time it will happen again.   I don't claim a forum for emotional health would increase that type of activity but special resources might be needed, such as recruiting mental health professionals as forum "guides."   Then again, depression is a lifelong condition for me whereas many HIV infected people deal with it as a part of the process. 

I know nothing.  Just go with the flow.
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline sadboy

• Sadboy is here, so let's get the party started.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 01:23:49 pm »
I think adding a depression forum would be a nice addition to this website but I fear that there will be people who may give off the wrong advice or base HIV solely on their own personal experience when trying to reach out to someone who is depressed. There is another HIV/AIDS website where they have medical experts who answer people's questions, perhaps inviting a couple of experts such as psychiatrist/therpist/psychologist/doctor or whatever you want to call them answer questions or give advice.

sadboy

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 01:46:33 pm »
There is another HIV/AIDS website where they have medical experts who answer people's questions, perhaps inviting a couple of experts such as psychiatrist/therpist/psychologist/doctor or whatever you want to call them answer questions or give advice.

sadboy

Lol what do they know that i dont? j/k

depressed people giving depressed people advice is not a good idea...it tends to make you want to wallow more...or it will become a "whos more depressed" forum....

I think its nice to have a happy thread and a not so happy thread in the same forum it reminds you that there is a reason to be optimisitc (even though you might not be in that mood that day)......

There are other mental health issues other than depression; anxiety, multiple personality disorders, and the list goes on....
but most people with these issues have them before being diagnosed (maybe post traumatic stress and depression would be an exception)....but i think it would separate the forum way too much....

-josh
(who goes through bouts of depression, anxiety, and ADHD but doesnt think the forum is a good idea)
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 03:15:56 pm »
I think we are segregating the forums too much.  For those of us not currently dealing with emotional issues, mental issues, LTS issues or womens issues I think we are missing out on invaluable information that could help us in the long run.  I know the arguement is that the information will still be on the board just under a different section.  But I honestly wouldnt check out those forums until a problem arose.

I really do see AC's point and I appreacite what he means however it reminds me of when I was on a gay message board once and wanted to start a sepearte section about HIV information and discussion - I was assailed by many of the neg guys as they felt it would create an unfair burden to them to have to look at a second section and they would then be missing out.

Ironically they were right on that call as I found aidsmeds after that and since I was the one who usually brought up HIV news and topics for discussion and no longer post there I understand the board rarely has serious discussions of the topic.

Which brings us back to the here and now.  Is the rejection of the proposal of creating a mental health section a guarantee that you are going to see these issues being discussed in the Living section?

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 04:03:48 pm »
Along with noting what such a Forum can do, it's also important to be aware of what it cannot do. It is NOT therapy, although the experience of being able to discuss all kinds of things here IS therapeutic. It's important to note that difference which is a substantial one and not just a matter of semantics.

If that acknowledgement is made evident and clear, I would find a forum of this nature much less concerning in my view. People need to know they are not alone and their feelings are valid - but it should not replace therapy or lull people into thinking it is a way to treat depression (and other mental issues).

Forums tend to grow organically, so keeping it on par with it's intended purpose can sometimes get blurred. That is why I think a forum of that nature really needs a mental health person to guide it (Andy obviously would be great). Not that the mental health facilitator would offer therapy, but guidance and steer the forum.

I think we are segregating the forums too much.  For those of us not currently dealing with emotional issues, mental issues, LTS issues or womens issues I think we are missing out on invaluable information that could help us in the long run

While I do agree, from what I've seen, that the LTS forum has created a segmented community (and I didn't realize it would take root as profoundly as it has), there is a whole different segmentation going on that was already occuring here on the Living With Forum and it was obviously a needed venue and if it helps people then live and let live.

But I don't see that "divide" happening in a "Emotional Health and HIV" forum. It's a different dynamic, IMHO.

I will say that after reading many of the responses I have less reservations about such a forum (especially after the addition of Ann's insight into the name and Andy's insights into the forum's mission), but am not wholly convinced.

depressed people giving depressed people advice is not a good idea...it tends to make you want to wallow more...or it will become a "whos more depressed" forum....

That's still my major concern - and if it was moderated actively by a mental health professional, it did not in any way seek to provide treatment (rather guidance and direction) and wouldn't devolve into what purtorico2006 said, I'd feel better about it. I'm not 100% convinced yet, but am a bit less concerned after reading the comments.

Just one man's opinion...
Mike :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 04:45:17 pm »
Daniel, I completely agree with you that it would be absolutely inappropriate for any diagnosing or prescribing to go on in this setting.

To me the need for the support which this kind of Forum could offer is already evident in what members have expressed.

Andy,

I fully support the idea, and am glad you agree that online is not the place for diagnosing and prescribing. It’s too full of risks and dangers, possibly life threatening ones. There are just too many unknown variables involved.

Peer-support through others relating to our problems (empathising) can often be a powerful help, especially to anyone feeling isolated. At least it was helpful to me in years gone by.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2007, 05:59:22 pm »
Recovering from the deepest, darkest, ugliest depression I ever faced, I tried to subjectively "feel" what such an "Emotional health section" would have done for me.

To be honest : nothing. Because I wasn't able to  connect emotionally and wasn't open for any cheering-up talk. For those who don't know : it feels like watching the world through a one-way mirror, but not being able to ask for help or to touch the hands, stretched out at you. It is a vicious grey area, that has a tendency to weirdly make you feel ok.

BUT, I do think it would be of a tremendous help to be able to write in it about your experiences with depression and the recovery. It would give members with a history of, or a tendency to depression an insight in the world of the depressed, at a time the latter have already started to look back.

Now that I have started my climb to the living, I feel the urge already to write about the darkest place.
I am sure it would help people to better understand depression and help those in danger of slipping into depression  a chance to read, before the light goes out.

Dan, a very constructive idea.

herman
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 12:12:49 am »
Recovering from the deepest, darkest, ugliest depression I ever faced, I tried to subjectively "feel" what such an "Emotional health section" would have done for me.

To be honest : nothing. Because I wasn't able to  connect emotionally and wasn't open for any cheering-up talk. For those who don't know : it feels like watching the world through a one-way mirror, but not being able to ask for help or to touch the hands, stretched out at you. It is a vicious grey area, that has a tendency to weirdly make you feel ok.

BUT, I do think it would be of a tremendous help to be able to write in it about your experiences with depression and the recovery. It would give members with a history of, or a tendency to depression an insight in the world of the depressed, at a time the latter have already started to look back.

Now that I have started my climb to the living, I feel the urge already to write about the darkest place.
I am sure it would help people to better understand depression and help those in danger of slipping into depression  a chance to read, before the light goes out.

Dan, a very constructive idea.

herman

Interesting. If it all gets written down, no matter how long it takes, then it's no longer "in" you I think. Write, write, write, as much as you need to. Anything you see fit to help you, we're all for it. Be deep, brutal, kind, scream, cry, or whatever your heart tells you. Nothing shocks us {HUGS}

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 03:39:56 am »
Herman,

One of the most irritating things to me when I was in the depths of depression was anyone trying to "cheer me up" or giving me a pep talk. It only gave my depression a depression.

Someone once said (and I believe this) that what is not expressed is depressed. Writing can be a very helpful form of releasing. It can also lead to helpful insights.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2007, 10:08:51 am »
Hey gang:

You spoke, we listened.  With a hefty push from Ann & Andy, the new "Mental Health & HIV" forum has been launched.

Peter

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.