Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:14:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 356
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Well, shit the bed... Atripla don't seem to be workin'.  (Read 15824 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Well, shit the bed... Atripla don't seem to be workin'.
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:02:34 pm »
I just called to get my results... and while the viral load isn't back yet... it's pretty clear to me that the meds ain't workin.  CD4s at 435 and 29%.  Which is what they were in September...

I'm thinking Benj caught a resistant virus.  Whoo hoo!  I hope it's just to the Sustiva or Truvada and not other things. 

How nice.  No, really.   

They said they'll know more when they get the viral load... but as of right now, it looks like I'll have to have another appointment sooner rather than later... so they can do some genetic brouhaha fun testy thingies.

On the bright side... my liver and kidney function is perfect.  I don't know exactly why...  And what does that mean to me?  I am clearly not drinking and drugging enough.   ;) 

I'm not really upset about it... I mean, it's kinda crap... but yeah. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
Re: Well, shit the bed... Atripla don't seem to be workin'.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:10:54 pm »
Hey whats up. I hope things get better for you. I have to go to my very first dr appt this coming monday. I am sure there will be plenty of tests that they want to run. This is my first time to the hiv dr so I have no idea what to expect
Meds doing well so far.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:14:16 pm »
Hey whats up. I hope things get better for you. I have to go to my very first dr appt this coming monday. I am sure there will be plenty of tests that they want to run. This is my first time to the hiv dr so I have no idea what to expect

Thanks, dude... I'm kinda wishin' they'd done a resistance profile thing from the get go... but when I was first diagnosed, I was shuffling back and forth all crazy fast between my primary care doc, and a bunch of ones at the clinic... and someone probably forgot to order one, or someone didn't send results or whatever... or my insurance company balked at paying for it.

I didn't think to ask about it... hmm.

Who can say? 

It's all water over the dam at this point.  ;D 

Offline indyguy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:19:12 pm »
I have gotten over the whole shock of things and have some friends here that are poz and been there for me when all of the questions came up that I had. Of course I have met a couple of guys that I have liked and when that little bit of information came up they were up and gone. That part sucks. I look good and am in good shape but I guess I understand their fear. Guess I need to find another poz if I want to get laid again lol ;D
Meds doing well so far.

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:23:16 pm »
Hey Guy,

I am shocked I'm hearing so many like you who haven't had a genotype run.   That's BS and it should've been done before any meds.

That was one of the first things my prior doctor did.   Luckily, it all came back good, but he said  they aren't always accurate.  

How come your VL is not in?   I keep hearing this a lot.   I'd wait to see that cause maybe there are some major changes, but yeah that would stress me out too.

Hope it turns out well.

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:25:54 pm »
I just called to get my results... and while the viral load isn't back yet... it's pretty clear to me that the meds ain't workin.  CD4s at 435 and 29%.  Which is what they were in September... I'm thinking Benj caught a resistant virus.  Whoo hoo!  I hope it's just to the Sustiva or Truvada and not other things. 
How nice.  No, really.   
They said they'll know more when they get the viral load... but as of right now, it looks like I'll have to have another appointment sooner rather than later... so they can do some genetic brouhaha fun testy thingies.
On the bright side... my liver and kidney function is perfect.  I don't know exactly why...  And what does that mean to me?  I am clearly not drinking and drugging enough.   ;) 
I'm not really upset about it... I mean, it's kinda crap... but yeah.   

Give yourself a break.  After all, it's after the viral load drops that your CD4s rebound... and, besides, other things impact CD4s like other active infections which would throw the numbers off and not in your favor.  Also, since you don't have a pre-HIV CD4 test to compare, this could be 'normal' state for you, but it's most likely just the lag between viral suppression and immune system rebound.

Of course, you could have bugs that are resistant to Sustiva, Emtriva and Viread, but then your CD4s should have declined even more, then you'd really bitch!  And we wouldn't want you to feel that special either, having bugs with so many mutations!  :-X

Hang in there and don't jump the gun..... and slap the doctor up side the head for me for giving you half the lab results, prompting unnecessary worry.

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 12:27:15 pm »
Hey Guy,

I am shocked I'm hearing so many like you who haven't had a genotype run.   That's BS and it should've been done before any meds.

That was one of the first things my prior doctor did.   Luckily, it all came back good, but he said  they aren't always accurate.   

How come your VL is not in?   I keep hearing this a lot.   I'd wait to see that cause maybe there are some major changes, but yeah that would stress me out too.

Hope it turns out well.

Wesley

The viral load has to be sent out somewhere, and it takes longer... I'll know on Thursday.

I can't really stress over it... I should've bitched and screamed for a resistance profile before taking the meds... but I didn't.  Probably because I didn't want to hear potentially bad news.  Hmm.

Offline indyguy

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 12:33:45 pm »
I will make sure I ask my doctor about this test since it will be my first time. My new doctor is openly gay and I have heard that he is pretty good. :'(
Meds doing well so far.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 12:37:29 pm »
Let's wait till Thursday then, Benj, before coming to any kind of conclusion about the success (or lack) of Atripla. I'll let the experts weigh in on this, but if you have a stable percentage and maximal viral suppression, that might not be bad news -- it might in fact be good news.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 12:41:08 pm »
Heck, hon...hold the phone.  Stop the presses.  This doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me at all...at least not yet.

Can I make a little reminder statement here?  If you recall  some people (*cough cough* ME *cough cough*) were already a bit astounded that you were starting meds so early to begin with.  You are aware, I'm sure, that some people's normal range is below 500 anyway- HIV or not.  Also, it can take awhile for VL to hit that magic undetectable place (many on here are still waiting for that day)...it took me many, many months for it to happen.  Both VL and CD4 counts are sunject to fluctuation- and the results you get are for those particular vials of blood you submitted.  As in...if they sucked the blood out of you a minute or two before or after, there may very well have been a different read.  Stuff doesn't flow precisely uniform throughout the body.  Also, CD4s can take a little while to start the upward climb anyway.

Not really trying to pooh-pooh your concerns, but...never mind.  I am trying to pooh-pooh your concerns- at least for now.   ;D  Yes, wait for your results on VL and continue to monitor the situation.  But if it was me, I wouldn't be giving it very much thought at all yet.  We from the double-digt t-cell experience are still jealous as all hell.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 12:44:12 pm »
The viral load has to be sent out somewhere, and it takes longer... I'll know on Thursday.

I can't really stress over it... I should've bitched and screamed for a resistance profile before taking the meds... but I didn't.  Probably because I didn't want to hear potentially bad news.  Hmm.

You sure they didn't screw up and give you a placebo?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 12:46:26 pm »
Heck, hon...hold the phone.  Stop the presses.  This doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me at all...at least not yet.

Can I make a little reminder statement here?  If you recall  some people (*cough cough* ME *cough cough*) were already a bit astounded that you were starting meds so early to begin with.  You are aware, I'm sure, that some people's normal range is below 500 anyway- HIV or not.  Also, it can take awhile for VL to hit that magic undetectable place (many on here are still waiting for that day)...it took me many, many months for it to happen.  Both VL and CD4 counts are sunject to fluctuation- and the results you get are for those particular vials of blood you submitted.  As in...if they sucked the blood out of you a minute or two before or after, there may very well have been a different read.  Stuff doesn't flow precisely uniform throughout the body.  Also, CD4s can take a little while to start the upward climb anyway.

Not really trying to pooh-pooh your concerns, but...never mind.  I am trying to pooh-pooh your concerns- at least for now.   ;D  Yes, wait for your results on VL and continue to monitor the situation.  But if it was me, I wouldn't be giving it very much thought at all yet.  We from the double-digt t-cell experience are still jealous as all hell.

I know, I know!   :D

I wanted to start meds early... I totally agreed with my doc, especially the research coming out now that seems to indicate that starting early is probably more beneficial...

And please pooh pooh (actually, say "pish tosh" to them... because saying "pish tosh" is fun) my concerns.  I'm a Worst Case Scenario-izer (read that: I'm part Jewish)... because that way when something not as shitty happens, I'm pleasantly surprised, and it's not that horrible.  It's a cynical coping mechanism. 

I don't mean to try and make anyone jealous... I know you know that's not my intent at all... but after having coasted along at above 500 CD4s for so long... the dip (and subsequent staying there) to the "below normal" range has been somewhat disconcerting.  I'll admit it. 

It doesn't play well to my "I'm in my 20s and invincible" thing very well... I wish my body would look into cooperating with that.

Edited to Add:  My liver is cooperating very well.  I seem to have, and I'm not exaggerating here, the most punk rock liver ev-ar.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:11:30 pm by aupointillimite »

Offline indyguy

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 12:54:07 pm »
Ok guys some advise please. 6 months ago I was neg. 2 months ago poz. My first dr appt is this Monday. Any ideas what I should expect? Do you guys think I will go on meds right away?
Meds doing well so far.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 12:54:27 pm »
One more thing, about the liver and kidney function tests. In an avuncular and totally affectionate manner (I hope you know that), I'll do a bit of pooh-poohing, but in the opposite way. Those tests are... well, not exactly super-specific or super-sensitive. (Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.) Apparently, these tests can show normal ranges for quite a while when in fact some damage is "secretly" going on. I know my doc always reminds me of that every time I have to answer "How many units of alcohol do you consume a week." The poor woman always looks shocked.

Daddy Jay
(who is NOT preaching)
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 01:00:21 pm »
Ok guys some advise please. 6 months ago I was neg. 2 months ago poz. My first dr appt is this Monday. Any ideas what I should expect? Do you guys think I will go on meds right away?

Hey Indy,

No way will they start you on meds right away in my opinion.   You should start a new topic on this cause Benj is gona be mad you are stealing his limelight ;)

If you were this recently diagnosed and neg. just 6 months ago I can't imagine them saying to take meds at all.    They will run a test for your Viral Load and CD4 counts.   Make sure to ask them to run a genotype too.   

From everything I've heard often initial viral loads can be really high.   Most of the doctors will want to see a trend in your counts before doing anything.

Offline indyguy

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 01:01:28 pm »
Thanks and sorry Benji.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »
One more thing, about the liver and kidney function tests. In an avuncular and totally affectionate manner (I hope you know that), I'll do a bit of pooh-poohing, but in the opposite way. Those tests are... well, not exactly super-specific or super-sensitive. (Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.) Apparently, these tests can show normal ranges for quite a while when in fact some damage is "secretly" going on. I know my doc always reminds me of that every time I have to answer "How many units of alcohol do you consume a week." The poor woman always looks shocked.

Daddy Jay
(who is NOT preaching)

But my liver sent me a note.

It said...

"Dear Benj,

Hi!  How are you?  I am fine.  I really loved the massive quantities of whiskey we enjoyed last night!  Thanks for buying my drinks for me!  Don't listen to anyone sensible... I'm hardcore.  Like porn.  Only more filter-y.  I'm glad to be an integral part of such a perfect specimen of humanity.

Love and kisses,

Your Liver

Stay sweet!"

And if that's not sensitive, I don't know what is...  ;D

Offline David_CA

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 01:07:33 pm »
Those numbers aren't so bad.  They haven't gotten any worse, so at least some / one of the drugs is likely working.  I do know some people take longer for their numbers to change.  My hubby's viral load dropped a lot more than mine but my CD4's and % rose more, so who can tell.  

I'm also surprised that tests weren't run prior to starting meds.  Of course, some insurance won't cover these tests, so maybe that's why.  My Dr. ordered genotype and phenotype tests months ago and showed no resistances, so hopefully Atripla will continue to work for me.  When I read the subject, I thought maybe Atripla was playing some nasty tricks on you (shitting the bed and all)!   :)

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 01:09:05 pm »
Hey Indy,

No way will they start you on meds right away in my opinion.   You should start a new topic on this cause Benj is gona be mad you are stealing his limelight ;)

Naaah... I'm not that much of an attention whore.  Wait... I am.  I really don't mind the hijackings at all... I like it when my threads wander here and there.

But indy, you're a lot more likely to get responses to your questions if you start your own thread...

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:18 pm »
Yeah, I agree Indy.   You got a unique situation and would get all kinds of input if you posted it as a topic.

I'm still waiting to hear if you weren't drunk and accidentally signed up for some blind study clinical trial Benj?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 01:21:16 pm »
Yeah, I agree Indy.   You got a unique situation and would get all kinds of input if you posted it as a topic.

I'm still waiting to hear if you weren't drunk and accidentally signed up for some blind study clinical trial Benj?

I probably did!   ;D

I was wondering my Atripla tasted like sweet, delicious candy!

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 01:52:40 pm »
Every one has already given you some sage advice.  I would just sit tight and wait until Thursday comes.  Also, stress does no one any good other than a cardiologist so just chill (easier said than done).

Hugs...

Tom
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 02:03:31 pm »
I'd encourage you to wait for the results of your viral load test.  When I started meds
3 years ago (Sustiva/Viread/Emtriva -- same as Sustiva/Truvada and Atripla), it took more
than a year for my CD4 and % to show any noticeable increase.  But my viral load was
and so far is undetectable (knock on wood), and eventually both my CD4 and % increased
(CD4 from 275 to 632 and % from 16 to 22).  From what my physician tells me, it can
take a while for your immune system to start getting back in shape once viral replication
is under control.

I'd suggest hanging in there, at least until you get the results from your viral load test,
and if that looks good, you may want to consider continuing with Atripla.  It's a shame
your physician didn't offer you any explanation/advice, and didn't want until all your tests
results were available.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 02:23:32 pm »
Hiya Au~~

I really have to agree with what folks are saying here, nothing really that I could even add. I just came back in from getting drained. I always seem to think the worst til I hear the news, I don't know why I do it, maybe it's to soften the blow if the news comes back bad. I am surprised that you started meds so early but I guess you wanted to kick ass first and ask questions later... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 02:24:33 pm »

Between that and the snowflake in Hell, I'd probably bet on the snowflake.  That would be one SERIOUSLY active virus to require that kind of thing to occur.  I don't think I have ever heard of any such as that.  If you've been poz for less than 6 months, you're gonna get an overall physical evaluation and blood draws to guage where your VL and CD4's are precisely.  You'll probably also fill out a good bit of paperwork if this is your typical ASO you are visiting.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 02:35:17 pm »
Dont sweat it my numbers went from 176 to 166 and hovered around there. My percentage jumped to 31% from 23 and back to 23 in 2 mons of Atripla. The one constant is my VL dropped to 131 then undetectable.

AFter much frustration and posting here and on TheBody.com The lower you're CD4 count the longer it takes to recover or get back to a normal range

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 03:08:53 pm »
I don't understand the "sweat" factor in this thread myself.  1) you've not gotten your VL back,  2) you're numbers did not decrease, they stayed the same.

With this incomplete snapshot we can infer that the medication is working at least somewhat.  If you'd not gone on it your numbers would be even lower.  Sometimes it takes a while to start going up, first the medication needs to halt the slide, then stabilize it, THEN increase it.

Of course, if your VL comes back and it's crap this is another story, but in the absence of these numbers I would not lose any sleep.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 03:42:51 pm »
I just called to get my results... and while the viral load isn't back yet... it's pretty clear to me that the meds ain't workin.  CD4s at 435 and 29%.  Which is what they were in September...   

I don't think that 'we' know anything yet.  You are on meds which, hopefully, were selected on the basis of genotyping to see which group would work best or which would show resistance (although this may not have happened).  Your cd4's are where they were but you don't know what your viral load looks like (until Thursday).  My cd4's have always been in the 400's, that's for the past 23 years, going up and down in exact balance with the cd8's.  So I, too, would say let's wait for more info.?  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »
I really do appreciate the words of experience, you guys... thank you!

I guess I was expecting something a bit more than "more of the same" from my first on-meds labs.

Le sigh.

I'll post the viral load when that comes around.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 03:56:08 pm »
The only way to know if the meds are working is to have your VL counts. The meds only stop the replication of HIV but do not improve CD4 counts, so maybe they are working and you are even undetectable. In fact, my first tests after starting meds was only a VL count a general bloodwork without cd4 counts.
I did not get a resistanace test done before meds as my Dr. considered it was only useful in recent infections and mine is 4 or 5 years old.
Tomorrow I will know my second labs after starting meds... :-[
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 03:58:42 pm »
Please read my numbers below and be underwhelmed - Ive been on neds for years have no resistances and my tcells never have gotten above 435 and my percent never above 25.  The damage seems permanent and a slow decline may have set in.  From where Im sittin youre sittin pretty.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 04:09:35 pm »
Yeah it's too early in fact you're number could increase with time. I've seen some people with remarkable rebounds in a short time and some not as fast. Everyone is different.

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 04:13:52 pm »
Im with the others.. so your cd4 didnt budge.. it's happens.. it certainly doesnt mean you are resistant.. hell, some peoples cd4 counts go down and it doesnt mean they are resistant.  cd4's dont always go up ya know princess... Get your VL back and then you'll know if atripla is working or not.  ;)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 04:16:30 pm »
Im with the others.. so your cd4 didnt budge.. it's happens.. it certainly doesnt mean you are resistant.. hell, some peoples cd4 counts go down and it doesnt mean they are resistant.  cd4's dont always go up ya know princess... Get your VL back and then you'll know if atripla is working or not.  ;)

But I'm impatient.   ;)

Why can't my damn labs cooperate with this personality flaw?

Why?  WHY?

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 04:26:28 pm »
But I'm impatient.   ;)

Why?  WHY?

I'm with you.   Why can't they simply have some kind of HIV glucometer?   Hmm?   I freaking hate that 2 week waiting period.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 04:33:48 pm »
But I'm impatient.   ;)

Why?  WHY?

CD4 counts are not really indicative of how much the virus has damaged you're system The Lymphocyte % is the main number you want to look at then the VL. CD4's go up and down like the stock market.

29% is not bad for a percentage its actually decent for POZ

Offline jyngfilm

• AHH! I knew it, Betty had balls
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 07:37:06 pm »
 ;) jumping to conclusion can be bad exercise. >> keep the faith brother.  what vl would you like to see?
>
>>"he decided to live for ever or die in the attempt"   joseph heller
munchausen by proxy is not an out in my case

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 07:55:04 pm »
I'm with you.   Why can't they simply have some kind of HIV glucometer?   Hmm?   I freaking hate that 2 week waiting period.

Seriously... I have a list of demands for my HIV.  One is that it reveal its own viral load a bit more quickly... perhaps in the form of a digital readout on my forehead.  The other is that it bake me cookies at least once a week.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:57:10 pm by aupointillimite »

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 08:11:13 pm »
hang inthere

i think you'll be pleasantly suprised with your next medical update
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:26:28 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 08:21:12 pm »

I've thought of that, too.  (Since my mother has diabetes).  I think that might be available sometime down the road.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2007, 08:22:18 pm »
I've thought of that, too.  (Since my mother has diabetes).  I think that might be available sometime down the road.

Screw the glucometer!

Cookies, people.

Delicious HIV cookies.

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2007, 08:28:46 pm »
Hey Benj,

Take it from a long-timer.  The whole journey of HIV meds and testing is bit of a roller coaster ride.  I wish I could tell you it gets better, but for me, it hasn't...though it isn't quite as jagged.  I think you sort of get immune to the push-pull shock of it all but I still get a little nervous each time (usually a few days before) I go the doctor.  Actually, I just went today for a blood draw.  It's the first since my recent crash on Videx and my new relationship with Ziagen.  Physically, I feel fine and now that the visit is over, I'm good.  The waiting isn't so bad for me.  And don't freak too prematurely on any test result...don't forget about the possibility of "blips" in the testing.

Anyway, I know you will eventually bitch slap that virus right down into HELL....where it belongs.  And you will be dancing around a fire like the sexy little Satyr that you are....soon enough!

Brooks

PS In the event that your HIV cannot bake cookies for you, I'll be happy to bake them for you, throw them right on the kitchen floor while they're good and hot, and roll around in all of that hot gooey mess with you.  DELICIOUSLY different, n'est-ce pas?

"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2007, 08:33:26 pm »
Hey Benj,

Take it from a long-timer.  The whole journey of HIV meds and testing is bit of a roller coaster ride.  I wish I could tell you it gets better, but for me, it hasn't...though it isn't quite as jagged.  I think you sort of get immune to the push-pull shock of it all but I still get a little nervous each time (usually a few days before) I go the doctor.  Actually, I just went today for a blood draw.  It's the first since my recent crash on Videx and my new relationship with Ziagen.  Physically, I feel fine and now that the visit is over, I'm good.  The waiting isn't so bad for me.  And don't freak too prematurely on any test result...don't forget about the possibility of "blips" in the testing.

Anyway, I know you will eventually bitch slap that virus right down into HELL....where it belongs.  And you will be dancing around a fire like the sexy little Satyr that you are....soon enough!

Brooks

PS In the event that your HIV cannot bake cookies for you, I'll be happy to bake them for you, throw them right on the kitchen floor while they're good and hot, and roll around in all of that hot gooey mess with you.  DELICIOUSLY different, n'est-ce pas?

Dude... that sounds like a baking extravaganza from Julia Child's wet dream!  Let's do it!

I know it's a roller coaster... I know... I've been on the damn roller coaster... but I was up in the peakies of "above average CD4s" for so long... I want to be there again... I know I should be happy with my results for what they are, and I know they're awesome by themselves... but they're not what I'm used to.

Although I'm getting used to not getting used to anything.

Although dancing around the HIV bonfire like a Satyr is something I could totally get used to...

Oh yes.

Offline koi1

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 08:40:03 pm »
Look on the bright side. At least you seem to be maintaining.  The only thing I can think of is that the alcohol may be hindering your progress.  Like the others I am jealous of your numbers. And like the philly said, your viral load is an important part of your profile. Don't stress as this is bad for your immune system. But you seem in high "spirits." ;)

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2007, 09:17:27 pm »
Hey Benj,

As others have said -- don't fret until the VL is in.  You may be pleasantly surprised. 
However, if you want -- we can start a Richmond group for those whose virus seems to like Atripla!!!   ::)

I'm sending happy thoughts your way -- even to your liver!!

Mike (who lacks the patience gene also)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007, 09:20:48 pm »
Hey Benj,

As others have said -- don't fret until the VL is in.  You may be pleasantly surprised. 
However, if you want -- we can start a Richmond group for those whose virus seems to like Atripla!!!   ::)

I'm sending happy thoughts your way -- even to your liver!!

Mike (who lacks the patience gene also)

Atripla: It's like sea monkey food... but for HIV.  Richmond chapter.

I could get in on that!   ;D

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 01:29:54 am »
Look on the bright side. At least you seem to be maintaining.  The only thing I can think of is that the alcohol may be hindering your progress.  Like the others I am jealous of your numbers. And like the philly said, your viral load is an important part of your profile. Don't stress as this is bad for your immune system. But you seem in high "spirits." ;)

rob

See Benj, we all know you're a big ole lush ;)      Hmm, Rob may have a point, but every time some one tells me to not stress out and don't drink I think, but I'm Irish.   That's like going against my religion!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 02:17:10 am »
See Benj, we all know you're a big ole lush ;)      Hmm, Rob may have a point, but every time some one tells me to not stress out and don't drink I think, but I'm Irish.   That's like going against my religion!

See, people telling me not to drink stresses me out.

And I'm gonna be a lush, for Chrissake... the last time you goyim told my people it was gonna "be OK," you were shipping us to Bergen-Belsen!

I need to drink to make it OK!

;D

This is clearly a joke.

Offline koi1

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 10:16:21 am »
Aupoint,

I never said that I was not a big ole lush or at least had my share in the past, having the medst work to their fullest potential is my biggest incentive to lay off of the booze though.

So yes, I knew my post was going to be taken as a big "Duh." But then again, as I said in my post I am in far worse shape than you are, and it might be uh, suicidal for me to drink as much as you say you do. So I choose not to drink at all. Thankfully, I am able to choose.

And my liver was not writing me love notes. It turns out I never had damage from drinking. The damage was from antibiotics that did save my life but also took their toll. So for me, it is a choice of saving my liver for the toxicity of the meds, nothing moral about that. I wish I could still have a drink of gin or eight like you say. One of my best times was doing just that in London Club few years ago.  But I can't and remain hopeful that the meds will keep working.

As you have done with all posts I have written, you can take them with a grain of salt....and lime of course. ;)

rob
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:27:58 am by koi1 »
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 12:07:46 pm »
Obviously the alcohol intake issue is going to be very different for those at sub-200 counts than, say over 350.  This goes for a lot of activity.  It's all relative, just like being a lush one/week is different than every day.

I will add one thing though, if you're predisposed to alcohol PLEASE make sure you do not have Hep-C or you're basically throwing gasoline on a fire.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.