Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:39:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 323
Total: 326

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has anyone gotten a sudden case of arthritis....  (Read 6577 times)

Offline pozredbear

Has anyone gotten a sudden case of arthritis....
« on: August 01, 2007, 10:21:20 pm »
I have been on Truvada and Lexiva for almost 2 years now, and six months after i started them I suddenly had back problems and had an MRI and they found Advanced arthritis and it has now within the last 1 year spread to my fingers and knees and other joints. And all that along with the muscle neuropathy and peripheral neuropathy is just a whole lotta fun. And the arthritis is getting worse. Has anyone else had these symptoms from either of these drugs? please let me know if you have, it would be much appreciated. I have been poz for 14 years now and had aids for 12 of those years. thanks all, bearhugs all around.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 10:50:25 pm by pozredbear »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Has anyone gotten a sudden case of arthritis....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:27:11 pm »
Hey Pozredbear,

I have arthritis in my back (spine) and probably elsewhere. I have never heard of meds causing it though.

I found this:

"Arthritis: Joint pain and stiffness have various causes, from autoimmune reactions to normal wear and tear. Research hasn’t linked arthritis to HIV or its treatment. Commonly used anti-inflammatory drugs don’t appear to interact with HIV meds."

It was in an article published in POZ about HIV and aging.

Wish I could be of more help. I'm there with you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozredbear

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:49:08 pm »
I have been on Truvada and Lexiva for almost 2 years now, and six months after i started them I suddenly had back problems and had an MRI and they found Advanced arthritis and it has now within the last 1 year spread to my fingers and knees and other joints. And all that along with the muscle neuropathy and peripheral neuropathy is just a whole lotta fun. And the arthritis is getting worse. Has anyone else had these symptoms from either of these drugs? please let me know if you have, it would be much appreciated. I have been poz for 14 years now and had aids for 12 of those years. thanks all, bearhugs all around.

Offline basil

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:15:40 pm »
This is my first post, just officially joined the forum today. But, I am convinced that my arthritis (back, both wrists, ankles right more than left and sometimes knees must  be caused  HIV itself.  I have been off meds for almost six months with no reduction in the pain and discomfort level.  I just don't know what else to do: tried massages, swimming  and walking when I could, but the pain still persists.  I  estimate  having HIV for about ten years, cd4 1160 and vrl undet.  I must be doing something right  to achieve results like this consistently going higher from   cdr450 and vrl 120000 when I started meds five years ago. Another grave concern I have is fatigue. There are times when I just have to get into bed and I'll sleep  almost the entire day.   At work, I turn the lights off in my office and take a "lunch break". Please any advice would be grateful.

Thanks

B

Offline ademas

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:18:44 pm »
I've been on bi-monthly Humira injections for 5 months now for the arthritis.

It's helped enormously with the joint pain and inflammation--particularly with the connective tissue swelling at the achilles tendon (which was the worst part for me).  It's also helped enormously with the fatigue.  It's amazing how much more energy you have when your body's not attacking itself at every joint, and fighting inflammation. 

The downside is that Humira (or Enbrel, or any of the biologics--or any medication for arthritis, for that matter) can affect your CD4 count (and %) and leave you more susceptible to infections.  My CD4's and percentage dropped initially, but has rebounded to the mid-600's.  My percentage also dropped at first, but that has also rebounded (to the low-20's).

The other downside is cost and access.  My 3-month perscription is now over $4,200--more than all my HIV meds combined--and some people need to take weekly injections (which, of course, doubles the cost).

I also had to try and fail with methotrexate for nearly 6 months before my insurance would cover the injections.  Fortunately, my medication coverage is good, and I pay only $10 for a 3-month supply.  If I had to pay even 20% out of pocket, I would definitely be sorry-outa-luck.

Offline pozredbear

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:26:56 pm »
i am not sure about the arthritis not being on meds , what were you on? all i know is since i started on these meds i am on now, i had a sudden onset of it after about 6 months and it continues to get worse. I have been poz for 14 years and had aids for 12 of those years. A warning though, if you ever go on Crixivan watch out, it made me and one of my friends insulin dependant diabetics, when we had no symptoms of diabetes at all. My former meds also raised my cholesterol to 560 and my triglycerides to over 4000 and had to have a quadruple bypass and 6 stents put in. So watch your cholesterol. But with Lipitor and Tricor my choesterol is down to 100 and same for triglycerides. I used to have a viralload of over 2 million and a cd4 of 0.8 but now have a viral load of 20,000 and a cd4 of 200 so holding steady. if you have any questions feel free to ask us, be well, Ron.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 05:09:39 pm »
Hey Ron,

I was on Crixivan for 11 years, but I was lucky and only ended up with kidney stones and a buffalo hump - no diabetes.

Sometimes the manner in which different drugs affect people differently still surprises me.

Hang in there.

Hey Basil, welcome to the forums. Have you tried any of those products that contain glucosamine, chondroiten and msn? I have a friend who swears by them. I tried them without much result, but everyone is different and they might be helpful..

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:12:04 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline basil

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:07:24 pm »
Mark & Ron, Thanks. no I havent tried any of those products you mentioned, but I'll go shopping for  them tomorrow. I'd try anything , especially for the fatigue.  I've been on zidivovudine, viramune and lamvudine generic  forms, but good, and they did well for my system. My Doc is thinking about  starting  me on a second regimen, but my argument with him is, if there is no drug resistance, why change. We'll see how it goes however.
Tickles.
Basil

Offline Rusty

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 03:57:01 pm »
Yes mine has come on big time in my knee joints over the last two months.  It really cripples me at times and I cannot walk properly. Had xrays which found my knees where fine no obvious arthritis. Been taiking anti imflammatory's for a few weeks which help a bit but not much. It seems to affect me intermittently. My knees look really swollen and puffy around the knee cap and it hurts like hell. I have had nerve conduction study done for the neuropathy side of things but havent had the results yet. I am taking durunavir ritonavir etravirine raltigravir & truvada. Seems to of got worse since I started truvada though 2 months ago.

Rusty

Offline a2z

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 01:14:50 am »

Funny you should say this.  I started meds a little more than a month ago, and just before I started meds I started having some calf cramping.  Okay, not entirely unheard of when I was neg.

Then in the last 3 weeks, it moved down to both my feet with no warning.  No tingling, just a constant pain in both feet on the outer side where the bone meets the ankle.  Given I have  a family history of this, I'm suspecting arthritis (or a sudden case of neuropathy) I'm not if its the meds, or just how I'm walking, or just bad luck.  I'm hoping it goes away soon..it makes it hard to drive and I drive 50 miles each workday.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:22 am »
I had arthiritis (I guess) for about 2 months back in the mid-90's (I was 30) and got a prescription of someting -- then suddenly it disappeared.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rural_oz

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my neck, it caused sharp pains to run down both arms.  (This was before I started on medication but after I became poz, so I dunno about any link there!) I have been taking Glucosamine and Fish Oil tablets (both natural products) for several months now and the pain has gone and the discomfort in my neck has greatly reduced.  I would really recommend giving them a go.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:09:57 pm by Rural_oz »

Offline a2z

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 05:01:16 am »
I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my neck, it caused sharp pains to run down both arms.  (This was before I started on medication but after I became poz, so I dunno about any link there!) I have been taking Glucosamine and Fish Oil tablets (both natural products) for several months now and the pain has gone and the discomfort in my neck has greatly reduced.  I would really recommend giving them a go.

I actually started this last night and my pain is already much less.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 08:58:07 am »
I actually started this last night and my pain is already much less.

That would make sense as Fish Oil is a natural anti-inflammatory.  FYI, here's the one I take.  No heavy metals, very high potency (EPA & DHA), great price for such a quality product.  4 months worth for $26. which includes shipping.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Mega-EFA-Omega-3-EPA-DHA-2126-mg-240-Softgels
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.