Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:24:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 456
Total: 456

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question...  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Tar Heel

Question...
« on: November 26, 2008, 06:38:42 pm »
Hey folks, long time, no type. 

I gotta question.  I've been poz 3 1/2 years, CD count in April was 943.  VL 8100.  In September, CD4 was 450, VL 21000.  I'm having a lot of diarrhea, want to sleep all the time, have dropped 15 pounds since April and basically just worn out 24/7. 

I go back to the doctor next month... Do you guys think it's time for meds yet or should I hold off as long as I can?? 

I know 350 is usually the cut-off to start meds but if my CD4 is still over 350 next month, I'm thinking of asking the doc to go ahead and start me on them.  There has to be more to life than sleeping and working.
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:29:03 pm »
Personally

1. Get screened for non-HIV causes of the squits, and treat if needed

2. if nowt better, go on meds, regardless of CD4

HIV attacks the gut. Many UK docs would consider chronic diarrhoea "symptomatic" and therefore qualifies you for meds.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:52:26 pm »
What's 'squits'? 
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:02:59 pm »
Hey,

I think Matt meant the "SQUIRTS". Get check for other possible bacterial digestive issues, that may be causing the diarhea.

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:04:26 pm »
Indeed, SQUIRTS

I mean, to be blunt about it, constant liquid poo
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:18:43 pm »
Ah, ok, gotcha. 

I did a few hemocult slides on myself to see if it was positive for blood- it wasn't.  I go back to the doctor on Dec 16th.  I guess I'll need to poop in a cup for him.

But did anyone else just want to go ahead and get started on the meds in hopes it makes them feel human again??

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 08:40:34 pm »

But did anyone else just want to go ahead and get started on the meds in hopes it makes them feel human again??

With 16 t-cells, I didn't have much of a choice. It was start or die. As far as diarrhrea, , I never had this problem 17 years into being positive, and even when I started on meds in 2003, only had mild problems with the squirts for a couple of weeks. Never had the problem again. I don't know, must be something in my diet ! I do have the gas though and the bloating, shortly after taking meds.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:55:44 pm »
Tar,

Also wanted to ask you. Whats your normal weight, and how much have you lost over what period of time?

Take care----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:29:47 pm »
I'm 6'3", normal weight is 260, I'm down to 245 since April.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 10:36:31 pm »
I myself wanted anything but meds in my system for I felt that somehow some mysterious factor will help me to fight if not defeat the AIDS.  It was not so.  Luckily I have found meds that made my viral load undetectable and increased my T-cells.  Get over the fear and start the meds.  Your body is just barely coping and the sooner you start the better.  "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:41:51 pm by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:19:09 am »
Get over the fear and start the meds. 

I'm not afraid of starting them.  I'm ready.  I want to go on them.  I just wonder if anyone else looked forward to starting them?

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 01:42:47 pm »
me no.  i wanted not to and i did not trust them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.