Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:11:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 378
Total: 379

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV survival, dirge for the departed  (Read 6871 times)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
HIV survival, dirge for the departed
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:13:34 am »
Requires you to have a steel core. Either you have it, or you don't.

We often shock ourselves at how much we can take, how much we can get up and walk away from.

Because we do. Because we feel we have to. Even when we wish we didn't.

We need those with that steel core around us, to remind us that it's a nasty business, surviving.

We don't always end up pretty or genteel or sweet or remotely nice. We are not, at the end of the day, full of so much hugs and rainbows. But the kindness we share, the compassion we feel, comes from a far more real place. The good deeds we do are magnified tenfold because we get it, we understand, we know.

We end up wise, despite ourselves. We end up better representations of the human race.

And sometimes that representation is acerbic and sarcastic and does not tolerate fools gladly, if at all.

Sometimes survivors make others uncomfortable. They cringe, because our metalworks show when we move, because we punch through, rather than squat and cry. Because we use our pain and our profound loss as fuel, fuel which puts out a foul smelling and off-putting emission.

There is a favorite quote of mine. Please indulge me:

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." 

-The Velveteen Rabbit
by Margery Williams

This place, this safe place for those fighting the good fight, suffers today. As it does any time that harsh cruel light is dimmed. We punch through, I suppose, we stagger on, I guess.

But as Long Term Survivors, it is our duty to eat the dead, the banished, the outcast, and the unwanted, To eat them, and to become them in some small way. To take them inside us and move on, burdened slightly more with the responsibility inherent in remembering, and continuing the mission.

We do not want to fight. We do not want to suffer. We do not want to struggle. But despite ourselves, we who survive have cores of steel. We do those things.

We do what we must, BECAUSE we must. And sensibilities of the frail be damned. We Will. Take. One. More Step.

I urge my fellows to do that, especially today, but every day. Not asking for much, Just one more step. One more punch. One more round.

At the end of our rope, we sometimes discover our spinnerets.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
Re: HIV survival, dirge for the departed
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:15:51 pm »
Jonathan-

That quote brought back ancient, long-suppressed memories of my grandmother, who read it to me often. And now I'm sitting here at my computer with wet cheeks, grateful for the solitude even as I yearn for the communion I've been too skittish to indulge in lately.

I should have better understood the subtext of a phone call I got yesterday afternoon. Honestly, sometimes I'm just thick in the head.

As a pal of mine said recently regarding something entirely different, "We're at the Bread-and-Circus stage now, totally lost in the dark of fear and falsehoods."

Brent
(Who is howling at the moon this afternoon)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:21:57 pm »

Brent
(Who is howling at the moon this afternoon)
/quote]

gorgeous tits and all  ;D
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:31:40 pm »
It's a bitch getting old with HIV. There's not a poetic or noble way to describe it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:19:16 pm »
Love you.

xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:31:48 pm »
Dearest Jonathon

I don't belong in these forums, maybe in years, but not HIV years, but as a Mod I'm exercising my powers to post here.

Thank you for being here with us and keeping it real....I'm lucky enough to have been REAL for a very long time.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:58:05 am »
Jonathan,

As always, your words move me immensely.  I keep surviving.   Not sure why or how some days, but I just do.  Some days I try to put a swipe of cover stick on my molluscum scars....somedays, I don't bother.   And some days none of us feel like trying to put cover stick on our emotions.   When your soul is chipped away, slowly, bit by bit, the part that remains seems to get tougher.

I know some people think us LTSers are a sad bunch, and a 'drag', with our wet blankets and our 'rainbow erasers'.  20+ years of AIDS tends to do that to a person.

With love to you, and in honor of all those 'keeping it real'.....

Alan

PS - Jan, as far as you not belonging, honey you belong where we say you belong.   I'm proud you think enough of us to read what we write.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:17:02 am »
Having lived and gone through what I have, I have found out a couple things about myself; someone can tell me the most awful story about their life, and I can listen without coming unglued.  Then, I can watch the t.v. and see an ad on about, oh, an abused animal, and fall apart. 

I've grown a kind of tough compassion I believe.  One where I really feel for someone who's having a hard time, but I won't fix it for the person anymore.  I will, however, help them remedy it, any way I can.  I don't know if that makes any sense.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mudman8

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:22:40 am »
Going thru what we do wizens us and gives us compassion. Tho we are allowed to whine every once in a while.

We now understand more, listen and help more. Little things are profound.  I never understood this in my 20s, before HIV. I'm a solid 54 with 20+ years of HIV and ready to turn the page yet again.  Many of our friends have not made it this far. But instead of holding back we need to reach out and help someone else.

my 2 cents worth.

glenn
Life is analog

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:42:08 am »
Oh Jonathan...I'm sitting here, tears running down my face....

And yes Alan.....what is left of our souls gets tougher...

Wished I could hold you now and hug. I feel very very depressed.

Love
Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 07:23:25 pm »
What a painful tribute, yet very true.  I have eaten far too many dead and I have been active in the HIV community for so long now, that it all seems rote.  Sadly, the pain never dies, nor does it ever get easier.  Yet I keep moving forward and hopefully, I will have many more years to take those steps.  For far too many reasons, I can do no less.

And Jan, you belong here as well, because longevity is subjective, but compassion and wisdom are forever.  You earned the right to share this table.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:25:37 pm by killfoile »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.