Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:01:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 486
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 483
Total: 485

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: As I find myself taking steps toward a great life..  (Read 8132 times)

Offline 2blessed

As I find myself taking steps toward a great life..
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:12 pm »
I just started taking my meds and everything is going great for me this far except updating my shots because I just hate needles but anyway...I feel like I'm watching a friend of mine die. He knows about my diagnosis and he recently found out about his. He has lost about 60 pounds within the past 5 months. I'm terrified for him because right now he's running a fever if 102 and he's been saying he's cold and we live in the south so it's actually pretty hot right now. He looks almost skeleton like and he refuses to go to the hospital like idk what to do at this point I'm afraid that he's letting his pride literally kill him. The gay community in our town is small and very messy so i think he doesn't want to come to terms with his diagnosis because he doesn't want anyone talking about him or to have what people have been saying about him be the truth. How do I deal with this??

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: As I find myself taking steps toward a great life..
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »
I just started taking my meds and everything is going great for me this far except updating my shots because I just hate needles but anyway...I feel like I'm watching a friend of mine die. He knows about my diagnosis and he recently found out about his. He has lost about 60 pounds within the past 5 months. I'm terrified for him because right now he's running a fever if 102 and he's been saying he's cold and we live in the south so it's actually pretty hot right now. He looks almost skeleton like and he refuses to go to the hospital like idk what to do at this point I'm afraid that he's letting his pride literally kill him. The gay community in our town is small and very messy so i think he doesn't want to come to terms with his diagnosis because he doesn't want anyone talking about him or to have what people have been saying about him be the truth. How do I deal with this??

Does your friend have family? Is there any mutual friend you can talk to? As much as he might hate you for intervening, you wil hate yourself worse if you do nothing and watch him die.

So many questions here. Granted, there's only so much you can do but even police will do what's known as a "welfare check" on a person.

I imagine that if he's lost 60 pounds in five months that people are already talking about him.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:55:54 pm »

Does your friend have family? Is there any mutual friend you can talk to? As much as he might hate you for intervening, you wil hate yourself worse if you do nothing and watch him die.

So many questions here. Granted, there's only so much you can do but even police will do what's known as a "welfare check" on a person.

I imagine that if he's lost 60 pounds in five months that people are already talking about him.

Yes he has family but I don't really know where they stand in his life honestly and yes people have already been talking about him which is where his pride is coming in I feel like thats why he won't go to the hospital because he's afraid someone will see him and it would be a huge blow to his ego. It's just me and my bestfriend that really know about this situation. I am sooo terrified that tomorrow he's not going to be here.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »
Did you discuss directly what is happening? That he is dying? Did he say he wants to die?

I think you should put the possibility of death to him kindly, gently and directly.  It sounds like he isn't thinking clearly.

If the issue is discretion and keeping his pride, OK, just work with that... There is probably a solution. How about taking him to a hospital in another town?  Or even further away that.  Nobody will know him there.  Would seem logical.  If he denies that, he's really not thinking clearly. Maybe he wants to die.

But if he says he is not suicidal, he is obviously paralyzed and needs some intervention - by you, your friend, his family, his doctor(s)? Has he ever seen a doctor recently, these years?  Social worker? Any health professional?  If so, get them involved again, please.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »
 Go over there tell him your taking his ass to the hospital put him in your car and drive him.

If he refuses call 911

At this point he needs to get over his pride or whatever. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:29 pm »
How far are you from another town/city with a hospital or medical facilities?  I grew up in a smallish town, right in between Indianapolis and Louisville.  I may have been concerned about going to my small town hospital, because everyone knows everyone.  Although, going on your own beats being taken by ambulance, where everyone would sure know all the details. 

Could you get him to go to another city, if he won't go in his own?  Do either of you have transportation to go to another town/city? 

Mecch just posted what I was suggesting, when I hit post. 

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »
Honestly the way he's talking just sounds like he doesn't want to accept that it's getting serious...I'm angry because his mom and siblings are sitting in the same house and yet they aren't trying to get him any help or figure anything out like I know I can't force him to get medical help but I feel like if I don't then I haven't done my job it just sucks seeing him react to his diagnosis the opposite if the way I'm reacting to mine...I pray things change sooner rather than later

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:22:20 am »
Tell him to take some Tylenol to break his fever, and take him to an infectious disease doctor who can put him on meds right away if he won't go to the hospital. 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 03:25:17 am »
Honestly the way he's talking just sounds like he doesn't want to accept that it's getting serious...I'm angry because his mom and siblings are sitting in the same house and yet they aren't trying to get him any help or figure anything out like I know I can't force him to get medical help but I feel like if I don't then I haven't done my job it just sucks seeing him react to his diagnosis the opposite if the way I'm reacting to mine...I pray things change sooner rather than later

Something doesn't jive in your story,  before you said he had family but you don't know where they stand and now you say he lives with his family.   They obviously know something is wrong by now. I'm calling shenanigans once I reread this thread after my previous post.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 04:26:02 am »
All you can do is talk to him and give him the facts then it's up to him to make his own mind up. Perhaps you could try presenting ARVs to him as 'try them and see how you go' option, rather than 'this is what you must do everyday for ever and ever', which many find daunting. Ultimately, you have to allow people to make their own decisions. Even if you were able to, forcing medication on someone is, in my view, unethical.
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:26:17 am »
Something doesn't jive in your story,  before you said he had family but you don't know where they stand and now you say he lives with his family.   They obviously know something is wrong by now. I'm calling shenanigans once I reread this thread after my previous post.

He stays with his mom and siblings with not knowing where they stand I'm saying I don't know how their relationship is like I know his dad died a long time ago and I think his real mom did as well but he's never divulged that info to me it's just stuff that his past friends have said that make me feel that wat so idk if the mom and siblings that I see are biological or if their foster but idk what the relationship is and idk how they will react if I say they have to get him help like yesterday when my bestfriend and I went to take him some pedialyte his mom was watching tv and his brother was surfing the web like nothing was going on it was just weird to see I'm sorry if you think someone would play like this but I'm not one of those people I actually am looking for real advice and idk about giving him any kind of medicine because he looks so fragile and he said he hasn't eaten because he can't hold anything down and I know with most medicine you have to have something on your stomach

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 09:30:12 am »
All you can do is talk to him and give him the facts then it's up to him to make his own mind up. Perhaps you could try presenting ARVs to him as 'try them and see how you go' option, rather than 'this is what you must do everyday for ever and ever', which many find daunting. Ultimately, you have to allow people to make their own decisions. Even if you were able to, forcing medication on someone is, in my view, unethical.

Exactly which is how my bestfriend views kidnapping him and taking him to a hospital ourselves he feels like we have to let him make the decisions he feels are best for himself whether they kill him or not but I think we should force him to go to the hospital

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:41:37 am »
Hi Blessed , it sounds like things are pretty dire for your friend . If I were faced with the situation you are in and felt like my friends life is in danger I would pull out all the normal stops and boundaries that exist between friends .

I would start by feeling out the family , what they know about the situation . You can start a conversation with them simply stating you are worried about your friend , bottom line , your best bet is to get your friends family on board in helping him and if having to tell them your friend will die without medical attention is your choice then I would do that , tell them and see what happens . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:16:01 am »
he feels like we have to let him make the decisions he feels are best for himself whether they kill him or not but I think we should force him to go to the hospital

He said that literally - let me do what I want "whether it kills me or not." ? He knows he's dying??

Very sick people can be out of their minds....  HIV also can destroy the mind...  Its not worth the risk to you and his family to assume he's making a rational decision to die this way.  He can get treated and get educated and then make the decision, if he chooses to do so, from a better place.  HE could VERY WELL be a candidate for the "lazarus effect" - meaning, its not unknown for HIV+ people to be very very very sick and then rally back to health, once they finally get medical treatment.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:35:32 am »
He said that literally - let me do what I want "whether it kills me or not." ? He knows he's dying??

Very sick people can be out of their minds....  HIV also can destroy the mind...  Its not worth the risk to you and his family to assume he's making a rational decision to die this way.  He can get treated and get educated and then make the decision, if he chooses to do so, from a better place.  HE could VERY WELL be a candidate for the "lazarus effect" - meaning, its not unknown for HIV+ people to be very very very sick and then rally back to health, once they finally get medical treatment.

No no my bestfriend isn't the sick person we were trying to figure out how to handle this situation

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 03:32:56 pm »

Hi Blessed ,
                       IF I WERE ANYWHERE NEAR THIS PERSON HE WOULD BE
  IN MY CAR AND GOING TO A HOSPITAL  ASAP !!!!!

Please do not delay any longer !  Once a person  croaks they don't come
   back !!!!

I would not care if I had to drive 150 miles to a hospital !!!!!

JUST DO IT !     Discussing with other best friends , that appear to have no
   common sense about life is useless  beyond words   >:(

I pray you do the right thing for your friend , like you
   said he is opposite of you .  That says a lot .
    I can relate to this BIG TIME !   I would be dead if not for my Partners intervention  !

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »
We took him this morning to the hospital he was pissed but he'll thank us in the long run. His fever was still 101 when we got there they put him on iv's and stuff I left cuz I had to work but I'm going back in a little.. But my bestfriend is with him and said he's a helluva lot better than what he was when I left but he's not completely there yet of course but thank you guys

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 02:17:51 am »
Blessed where in the south are you? Ga here. what he needs is support. 
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 09:31:05 am »
Good for you.
A good friend indeed.
Just like to add , because I do it too , its almost imposable trying to second guess others peoples reactions to our deeds, and in the end we can only do what we think is right , wish you most certainly did .

Hope you are enjoying that your Friend is where he should be , and that your working on your 'thank you" prezzie wants that you can drop into conversation during hospital visits.

All the best , keep us up to date.and a belated welcome
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 10:13:25 am »
Yes we're in GA

He cried yesterday once I got to the hospital and we had a life or death talk with him and I told him that I had to ask the advice of strangers but he promised us that he won't put us through this again because I and my bestfriend pretty much let him know that we can't do this again we can't spend time worrying about whether he's doing what he needs to do to get his life together..btw my bestfriend told me to thank you guys for advice on dealing with this situation because he was more preparing to see this guy just die.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 10:30:25 am »
Thanks for the update ... did his family ever get involved ? .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline britchick

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 02:13:22 pm »
2blessed

Im so glad that your friend is in hospital and will get the treatment that they need.Sounds like he was scared and now that he has taken that step and has you and your other friends support.... things are looking up.

We care here.Please let him know that we are thinking about him and  also thankyou for caring about him

Britchickx

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 02:48:42 pm »
I and my bestfriend pretty much let him know that we can't do this again we can't spend time worrying about whether he's doing what he needs to do to get his life together..btw my bestfriend told me to thank you guys for advice on dealing with this situation because he was more preparing to see this guy just die.

You did what you thought was best and everyone here at least thanks you for that. Also your friend will probably thank you eventually.

Also I wanted to say that IMO - friends must worry about their friends, and must invest time when a dear friend is falling apart.  You say you can't do this again, and I do understand the exasperation, and the respect you tried to give him for his individuality, and the time spent, the worry. But, after all, that's what friends are for.  Please continue to be generous to your friend.  Eventually with enough people breathing care and life blood into him, he'll have the energy to heal.  This includes you, his friends, hopefully his family, and very important too the health care, the drugs, everything.  Its all an infusion of energy and attention and he is so low, that's what he needs to come back to life. His fever will break, he'll get the drugs to kill all the bacterias and viruses run amok in his system, he can rest and get strong again...   Thank you again for doing this.... 

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:05 pm »
Thanks u guys as far as his family they still are not too involved in this he doesn't want us tell his mom too much so I'm going I give him a chance to talk to her first about everything but he looks and sounds better than two days ago...thanks for all the well wishes

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.