Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:37:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 163
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diagnosed 2 weeks ago, low cd4  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Steppes89

Diagnosed 2 weeks ago, low cd4
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:44:34 pm »
Hi, I was just recently diagnosed after having been sick for a little while. Initially my doctor said he expected my counts would be alright, but when my more detailed blood work came in my CD4 was at 111... This really kinda freaked me out. I have read that sometimes numbers can take a serious dive early on in infection but I don't know. I'm talking to my doc about meds this Friday, but I just want some hope that that number is gonna go up. I feel fine now physically. I'm just anxious. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. My mind is just a scattered mess right now  :P

Offline 2tcells

Re: Diagnosed 2 weeks ago, low cd4
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:44:59 pm »
My cd4 was 2 when I found out 6 months ago others on here have had 0. 2nd month I had double that if you have double after 2 month of meds you will be over 200 which is pretty safe from infections. I only have 62 now and am doing fine so far. I have known I have aids for 6 months and after meds have only been sick for 2 day. I probably had it for 8 years and never got sick until 6 months ago. You probably have had it for along time without knowing so u will most likly be ok when your on meds I think
7-4-13 diagnosed   cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud
1-22-15                   cd4- 156  vl-ud
4-14-15                   cd4- 122  vl-ud
6-12-15                   cd4- 148  vl-?
8-15-15 start stribild
9-3-15                     cd4- 152 vl-ud
11-25-15                  cd4- 211 vl-20
2-17-16                   cd-4 194 vl-ud
4-1-16 start genvoya
5-10-16                   cd-4 220 vl-ud
9-19-16                   cd-4 182 vl-ud
12-2016                  cd-4  267!vl-ud
2018 cd4 187 switching meds

Offline pittman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:47:57 pm »
Sorry for your diagnoses, but glad you found out.

You cannot effectively determine how long you have been positive on a single CD4 count.  The CD4 numbers can vary fairly significantly.  While a low number might be indicative of general state, it could also just mean that you you were recently infected as you suggested. (When was your last negative test result??? that could at least put an upper bound to your infection period if you were previously tested.)

They will probably take at least one more test to see a trend, and get a better idea of progression.  You will most likely be given several immunizations, and maybe even some a second time once your immune system is recovered some more.

If in fact your current result is indicative of your progression, then you are going to need to consider starting meds in the coming weeks/month to get the virus under control, and allow your immune system to rebuild.  it's good that you are planning to start that discussion with your doctor.

As 2tcells shared, there are lots of others that presented for treatment very late and are still able to recover, though it usually does take longer.  So yes, there are plenty of reasons to be realistically optimistic.

If you are reading about treatment, life expectancy, meds and their side effects, etc, please keep in mind that this is such a rapidly changing field that articles older than just a few years may be quite outdated, and contain alarming information that is no longer accurate.

Treatments are very effective today, and life expectancy is pretty much normal.

Once you start treatment, the main guidelines are to take your medicine as directed, and to adopt the healthy habits everyone should but most don't follow. That is, eat well, sleep well, exersize, don't smoke, moderate drinking, and so on.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:57:14 pm »
Welcome to the forums, although wish you didn't have to be here.  It sounds like you know you are pretty recently infected?  Numbers do often look very scary, during acute infection.  Most have no idea, because we weren't diagnosed for a few years into infection. 

Many will see their CD4 return to pre-infection levels and their viral load decrease, as time goes by from infection.  Many don't see that, and they stay where they are.  I guess it really depends on viral strain and your genes.  Are you prepared to start meds now or were you hoping to see a rebound and delay starting? 

Anyway, keep in touch.  It is great you know your status and you're in care. 

Ted

Offline Steppes89

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:31:42 am »
Thanks everyone for the responses. I plan on starting meds ASAP. I'm actually still waiting on my genome test which I will know Friday. As far as when I was infected goes I'm not certain. My last negative test was about 4.5 years ago... I think it happened more recently though. Thanks again everyone.

Offline aaware72

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:17:06 am »
I found out I was poz in 01/13 after my last neg test on 5/12  My CD4 was 230 on my first blood test on 02/13.  By 5/13 my CD4 was up over 400.  I told it's a long slow road for some to have a rebound with CD4 counts.  Best thing is that you now your status and your getting treatment. 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:12 am »
Best of luck to U,

We are many that started with low cd4, even lower than yrs.
The meds really works, just do what the doctors tell u, and ask the forum too if u have issues.

Im still a newbie here, but this forum is a great help.

Hugs
Peter

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »
Steppes, we're glad you have found your way here when you needed it. Right now HIV is looking huge in your life but you're going to see that gradually it will become a part of your life and by no means all that your life will be about.

It's good that your numbers are being monitored. An essential part of your staying healthy is having a good working partnership with your doctor. You want someone who will be responsive when you have questions and concerns. Keep a little notebook handy where you can write down things you want to know. That way when you have a checkup you won't have to depend on your memory to remember everything.

You're always welcome to bring anything up here that's on your mind. As you're already beginning to find out, there is a wealth of experience, knowledge and support here.

Best to you and welcome.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.