Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:26:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 315
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Should the Red Cross Lift Ban on Gay Donation?  (Read 11895 times)

Offline tednlou2

Should the Red Cross Lift Ban on Gay Donation?
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:38:52 am »
I was in a debate tonight about whether the Red Cross should lift the ban on gays donating.  Actually, you don't even have to consider yourself gay to be banned.  If you answer you've had sex of any kind with a man since 1970-something, you cannot donate.  If a straight man was honest about messing around with his friend in highschool, he could not donate.

In 2000, I answered the question honestly.  They consider even mutual masturbation gay sex.  They don't ask straight people how promiscuous they are--at least they didn't in 2000.  They did ask whether you've ever sold sex for money.  I was turned away.  I guess I was naive, because I didn't know about this rule.  I was told I would be forever banned. 

In 2000, I called the director of our local RC to see what their logic is on this.  If they test all the blood, why does it matter?  I was told they ask that question to ensure the blood supply is safe.  I asked how asking that question would ensure the blood supply--after all many people would probably lie.  Plus, wouldn't their tests pick up the virus?  She said because HIV can go undetected for up to 6 months after infection, they ask the question to ensure the blood supply.  She kept saying "to ensure the blood supply."  I told her the blood isn't totally safe then.  Because they are often in need of blood and give it out as soon as it comes in almost, then HIV could slip through.  If this is how they "ensure the blood supply" then it isn't totally safe.  She answered it is totally safe, because they ask that question and ban gays.  It bothered me that a straight guy with 1,000 sex partners could donate, but I could not. 

Back to the debate tonight-- someone I was talking to said I had proven their ban necessary as I now have HIV.  I once thought I may have been infected from my previous partner in 1995, but he claims he didn't get it until 2003.  So, I got it in 2001 and would have been negative in 2000 when I tried to donate.  If I were poz, their testing should have picked it up. 

Just wondering what you guys think.  Is HIV so prevalent in gays that gays should be banned?  Shouldn't they have better testing and not rely on a questionnaire to ensure safety?  As I said, there was no question to straight people about how many sexual partners they had--at least not in 2000.  They just asked about prostitution and IV drug use.  I guess I'm wondering if the person I debated this with is correct--I proved exactly why they ban gays?  I still say most people are being misled.  I think most people think the blood supply is totally safe now.  I'm not sure what the actually stats are about safety, but it is obvious some bad blood has had to slip by if they are relying on a questionnaire.

It was an interesting debate and wanted to know what you guys think.   

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Should the Red Cross Lift Ban on Gay Donation?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:21 am »
I'm undecided. This is an unusal thing for Matty the Damned to be.

MtD

Offline komnaes

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:29:46 am »
Actually I am against it, and not because of any forced politically correctness. And I do believe, from many of their reports and public statements, that this ban is at least partially prejudice-motivated.

If the goal is to ensure safety, then as many of us have pointed out anyone is having regular sex with multiple partners and of unknown HIV status (i.e. not tested regularly) should be excluded other than just a group labeled as "gay" or men having sex with men. I have no problem for them to enact a ban on us to donate (though it should take a very twisted mentality for anyone who's tested HIV+ to still donate without disclosing); but to exclude a group based only on an assumption of risky behavior while allowing others (i.e. another high risk group would be, say, sex workers) is clearly a prejudice, enforcing unnecessarily a stereotype on gays.

I also think they should easily get rid of this risk by education i.e. by constantly communicating a policy of dissuading people involving in high risk sexual activities to give blood. As a public service the Red Cross has the option to be proactive in encouraging responsible behaviors (i.e. not to donate if one is sexual active and of unknown HIV status) or to be part of the problem in enforcing an unnecessary stereotype. So it's too bad that they choose to do the latter.

<edited for typos>
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:32:23 am by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 06:04:55 am »
I think it's the height of idiocy to ask what a person's sexual orientation is on blood donor questionnaires.

What they should be asking is 1. have you ever tested for hiv and 2. have you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse outside a committed relationship since your last negative hiv result. It's not about who you fuck, it's about how you fuck. And it's about accurately knowing your status.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline karry

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:30:07 am »
I think it's the height of idiocy to ask what a person's sexual orientation is on blood donor questionnaires.

What they should be asking is 1. have you ever tested for hiv and 2. have you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse outside a committed relationship since your last negative hiv result. It's not about who you fuck, it's about how you fuck. And it's about accurately knowing your status.

I agree with Ann. They should be concerned about the donor's health...not his/her sexual orientation. I am personally against the ban.
K.
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:33 am »
Knowing the percentage of gay men with HIV versus the general population would be relevent. Anyone happen to have that statistic?

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:01:30 am »

Perhaps this link would fit into this discussion:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/52259.php

Is our blood reserves really safe?

v

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:07:24 am »
If they have this question for gay men, then they probably should have it for straight black women, if we're going by statistics and all.  Of course, they'd never do that.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:27:37 am »
What will happen to my blood after I donate?
Each blood donation is assigned a unique computer barcode number, which will identify it throughout its path from the donor to a hospital patient. Immediately after the blood donation, the blood is placed in transport containers designed to keep it at a safe temperature until it reaches a Red Cross component laboratory. Samples of the blood donation are simultaneously sent to one of nine Red Cross National Testing Laboratories to be tested for transmissible diseases. In the component lab, the blood is separated into its components: red blood cells, platelets and plasma. The products are then placed in quarantined, temperature-controlled refrigeration units until the test results are received (usually 12-16 hours later) and the blood can be released for distribution or destroyed. From local distribution centers, the blood is transported to hospitals based on patient need. Hospital personnel then transfuse the blood or blood products to a patient in need.

I was under the impression that they hold onto blood for a while and then tested it, which is why people who don't even know they have hiv haven't been giving it to others via transfusion since the early 90s.  Can't seem to find anything about the waiting period before testing online however.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:31:14 am »
Knowing the percentage of gay men with HIV versus the general population would be relevent. Anyone happen to have that statistic?

Just to use Hong Kong as an example, you can find the detailed statistics here:

http://www.info.gov.hk/aids/english/surveillance/quarter.htm

While it'd be interesting to analyze the statistics on the risk factor of heterosexuals vs. homosexuals in a more refine manner, a group of numbers stand out rather (for a lack of a better word) interestingly. For all 5,458 HIV/AIDS cases recorded here:

3746 cases are of Chinese ethnicity
1712 cases are of non-Chinese ethnicity

For confirmed transmission through homosexual acts, the number is 1315.

I don't have the exact figure but it's safe to assume that non-Chinese only account for like 5-7% of the total population (of around 7 million). So even if I pick the lower number, there are roughly 350,000 non-Chinese living here. For homosexuals, I will use the commonly accepted 10%, and even if I restrict it to mainly gay men, there are also interestingly around 350,000 gay men plus non-gay men (i.e. bisexual and men that don't identify themselves as gay) that also involve in (and get infected correspondingly by) homosexual acts.

So, it's 1712 out of a population of 350,000 (non-Chinese) vs. 1315 out of the same number (M2M sex).

Now, I cannot imagine the local Red Cross will ever issue a ban against non-Chinese while statistically they post a bigger risk.

Also, one can also single out another group that is disproportionally affected, which is both men and women between the age of 30-39. The exact number is not listed in the table linked above, but by referring to another chart (in the same govt. website) I think this group account for like 1670-1700 cases. I just also quickly checked the age distribution and I think this age group account for like 15% of the total population. So the chance of a person is infected with HIV is roughly the same as gays. Again, I don't see Red Cross is preparing to ban this age group from donating.

My point is - it all depends on how one singles out a group statistically and define everyone belong to that group as a risk factor.

Hence, my point that Red Cross ban gays because of its own prejudice.

(Modified the typo and added the conclusion)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:36:23 am by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline U1195

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »
I think the link below that through more light to this question and discussion.
As you see in the link presently 1 in 450.000 to 660.000 blood donations and transfusions
in the usa pass through the ckecks and tests undetected als hiv+.
So from 5 million blood transfusions per year in the usa about 8 to 11 patients get infected
with hiv. People may argue that this number of infected patients is small,but I donot see it that
way.

http://aids.about.com/cs/hivtesting/f/bloodsupply.htm

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:12:16 pm by U1195 »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 03:03:46 pm »
Just to use Hong Kong as an example, you can find the detailed statistics here:

http://www.info.gov.hk/aids/english/surveillance/quarter.htm

While it'd be interesting to analyze the statistics on the risk factor of heterosexuals vs. homosexuals in a more refine manner, a group of numbers stand out rather (for a lack of a better word) interestingly. For all 5,458 HIV/AIDS cases recorded here:

3746 cases are of Chinese ethnicity
1712 cases are of non-Chinese ethnicity

For confirmed transmission through homosexual acts, the number is 1315.

I don't have the exact figure but it's safe to assume that non-Chinese only account for like 5-7% of the total population (of around 7 million). So even if I pick the lower number, there are roughly 350,000 non-Chinese living here. For homosexuals, I will use the commonly accepted 10%, and even if I restrict it to mainly gay men, there are also interestingly around 350,000 gay men plus non-gay men (i.e. bisexual and men that don't identify themselves as gay) that also involve in (and get infected correspondingly by) homosexual acts.

So, it's 1712 out of a population of 350,000 (non-Chinese) vs. 1315 out of the same number (M2M sex).

Now, I cannot imagine the local Red Cross will ever issue a ban against non-Chinese while statistically they post a bigger risk.

Also, one can also single out another group that is disproportionally affected, which is both men and women between the age of 30-39. The exact number is not listed in the table linked above, but by referring to another chart (in the same govt. website) I think this group account for like 1670-1700 cases. I just also quickly checked the age distribution and I think this age group account for like 15% of the total population. So the chance of a person is infected with HIV is roughly the same as gays. Again, I don't see Red Cross is preparing to ban this age group from donating.

My point is - it all depends on how one singles out a group statistically and define everyone belong to that group as a risk factor.

Hence, my point that Red Cross ban gays because of its own prejudice.

(Modified the typo and added the conclusion)

???

Not sure the numbers hold together here.  The source you cite has 214 bisexual contacts and 833 "undetermined" route of transmission all of which appear to have been lumped into the heterosexual transmission category in your calculations.  Perhaps it would make more sense to assume at least a proportional amount of the undertermined are homosexual?

And to refer to the 10% number as "commonly accepted" overstates the case a bit (commonly disputed maybe?)  Most recent studies (i.e. after Kinsey)  come up with numbers in the 2% to 5% range.  

Recent census numbers on the HK gov site (which made my computer hang) did confirm about 95% ethnic Chinese population.

So... after fixing the calculations to reflect the above that would be roughly twice to five times the HIV prevalence rate among gay men as among non-ethnic Chinese in Hong Kong.  

*** edited to add, above assumes (as appears to be in your calculations) that HIV and AIDS are disjoint classes in the reported numbers
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:09:00 pm by Assurbanipal »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:43:19 pm »
I wouldn't donate blood to the fucking RED cross if it was the only thing that would keep me alive.

Just try to get some help from them if your home is destroyed and they discover you're gay, SORRY, YOU'RE QUEER, YOU DON'T QUALIFY FOR HELP, WE NEED TO HELP FAMILIES FIRST!!

Royal Assholes that org. is.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline komnaes

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »
While I agree that my circulation (on homosexual vs heterosexual) is a bit cruel, I would make the following points:

1. I didn't say that the 10% assumption covers only males that identify themselves as exclusively gay. It's generally referring to men who are "more or less exclusively homosexual for at least three years between the ages of 16 and 55". The accusation that Kinsey has inflated this figure usually rest on other surveys that pick out a smaller population that identify themselves (usually your 2-5%) as exclusively gay and that he included also institutionalized homosexual behaviors (i.e. prison inmates), but it's not that relevant for homosexual sex act as a route of transmission. Actually, there are studies concluding that as much as 36.4% of men who had at least one homosexual encounter in their life time.

2. Having said, I probably should have included the "bisexual" group (though I have serious issue on how one can get HIV by a "bisexual" encounter) and the unidentified group. But to do so, I should probably have used the total population instead of just the male population (3 below).

3. Knowing I haven't done so (2 above), I already used only the 10% of male population as my base (i.e. 7 million x 50% x 10%), assuming that everyone of those 1315 homosexual encounter cases are men.

I would leave it to someone who knows statistics better, but the fact that 5% of non-Chinese population accounts for like 31% of all HIV/AIDS cases would indicates that they're a very high-risk group at least here in Hong Kong. And my feeling is that even with those adjustments the risk factor of a gay man with HIV vs. non-Chinese of both sexes will still be very similar.

(By the way, the base number of 5458 includes the number of accumulated reports of both HIV and AIDS cases at time of reporting. I am assuming that they use the CD4 below 200 as definition of AIDS, so there's no overlapping)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:57:25 pm by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 10:43:43 am »

I think the link below that through more light to this question and discussion.
As you see in the link presently 1 in 450.000 to 660.000 blood donations and transfusions
in the usa pass through the ckecks and tests undetected als hiv+.
So from 5 million blood transfusions per year in the usa about 8 to 11 patients get infected
with hiv. People may argue that this number of infected patients is small,but I donot see it that
way.

http://aids.about.com/cs/hivtesting/f/bloodsupply.htm

I take it you're arguing against the ban being lifted? But what makes you so sure those donations didn't come from positive straights who assume that because they're straight, they aren't at risk and therefore never test? Straights are often not diagnosed until they find themselves in hospital with PCP. Or aren't diagnosed until they apply and get refused for life insurance. We've seen that here in these forums often enough.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 11:23:24 am »

I agree with Ann's first and most recent post on the topic.

Offline fearless

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 11:51:23 pm »
I agree with Ann's post on this issue. Succinct and cutting to the real issues.

However, I just checked the Australian Red Cross site and they no longer appear to have an outright ban on homosexuals donating blood. I'm not sure of the situation in the US or UK.

In Australia, if you have had male to male sex in the past 12 months you are given a 12 month 'deferral' from giving blood. There are a number of other sexual reasons used for 'deferral' as well.

There are a hole range of criteria they apply which you can see here: http://www.donateblood.com.au/page.aspx?IDDataTreeMenu=88#answer47

You can never give blood if:

* You are HIV positive
    * You have hepatitis C
    * You have ever injected yourself or been injected with drugs not prescribed by a doctor or dentist
      (even if this was only once)
You are also banned from donating blood if you lived in the UK for a period of 6 months or longer between 1980 and 1996 - this is due to vCJD ( mad cow disease) being present in the UK in that time. Apparantely, there is no test for vCJD in your blood so you are simply banned.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:15 pm »
Oz Red Cross has lifted teh ghey ban? Good stuff. Improvements in pooled testing presumably.

Group based bans made sense at one time and I always supported them from a public health perspective, but if screening capabilities have improved then I support lifting such bans.

As far as I'm aware a definitive diagnosis for any of the spongiform encephalopathies can only be made post-mortem.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 12:16:21 am »
So where do our friends in the UK get their blood?  Everyone who lives there during that time was exposed possibly.  Can mad-cow be passed to child?  I'm pretty sure the U.S. bans donations from people who spent time in the UK during that time frame as well.  I guess the UK doesn't ban its own people on the basis of mad-cow?

I think Canada is trying to lift the ban on gays donating if they haven't already.  I know many groups here in the U.S. want a lift of the gay ban.  I see on the news every week how the blood supply is critically low.  It just seems wrong to ban a whole group of people when most of them would probably be negative.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 12:45:03 am »
For Thailand there is no ban on gay people donating blood,
but an under-developed country like Belgium doesn't allow gay blood donors.  :) /   :(

Offline fearless

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 04:03:28 am »
* You have ever injected yourself or been injected with drugs not prescribed by a doctor or dentist

This one will always knock me out, and I have AB- the rarest blood type. oh well.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 04:11:22 am »

This one will always knock me out, and I have AB- the rarest blood type. oh well.

. . . not to mention the small matter of the Queer Plague coursing through yer veins. :)

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 01:12:38 am »
I was just reading the homepage of poz.com.  There was an article about this very issue.  How timely.  This is some good news.  However, there is another article about how the Las Vegas Taxi Cab commission is telling drivers to be careful of people they suspect to be gay.  I'm a little confused about this article.  It talks about the Taxi Cab Commission making arrests and what protection they should use.  Is this normal?  I know here in Louisville, a cab driver would call the police if there was some incident.  The taxi cab people don't make their own arrests here.  So, I'm confused by this article. 

http://www.poz.com/articles/gmhc_gay_blood_hiv_report_401_18084.shtml

http://www.poz.com/articles/vegas_ta_hiv_gay_1_18086.shtml

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 10:55:24 am »

However, there is another article about how the Las Vegas Taxi Cab commission is telling drivers to be careful of people they suspect to be gay.  I'm a little confused about this article.  It talks about the Taxi Cab Commission making arrests and what protection they should use.  Is this normal?  I know here in Louisville, a cab driver would call the police if there was some incident.  The taxi cab people don't make their own arrests here.  So, I'm confused by this article. 

Ted, I imagine the The Las Vegas Taxi Authority (TA) is like the NYC Transit Authority. You know, subway cops. The LVTA aren't taxi drivers, they're the authority who deal with infractions that happen in taxis just like NYCTA are the authority who deal with infractions in the subway system.

LV probably has a separate TA police system because they probably have a high volume of taxi traffic and instead of calling the regular police force for someone who is drunk in the back of a taxi or is refusing to pay their fare, they call the TA.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dixieman

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 02:15:06 pm »
Ann... Gave an Excellent clairification on this...

Offline fearless

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »
  . . . not to mention the small matter of the Queer Plague coursing through yer veins. :)

MtD

lmfao. i totally forgot about that. bwah ha ha

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 10:45:58 pm »
Ann,

Thanks for the clarification.  That clears things up.  

It is still disturbing that they are listing people they suspect to be gay as high-risk people and should use protective gear when dealing with gays.  I'm not sure how they would know who is gay.  If a man has feminine traits, they would deal with him differently?  Do they ask whether you're gay?  It was good news to read about a new push to remove gays from a total ban on blood donations...then I read this.  Progress is slow and on-going I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:52:13 pm by tednlou2 »

Offline Dennis

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:37 pm »
Ann,

Thanks for the clarification.  That clears things up.  

It is still disturbing that they are listing people they suspect to be gay as high-risk people and should use protective gear when dealing with gays.  I'm not sure how they would know who is gay.  If a man has feminine traits, they would deal with him differently?  Do they ask whether you're gay?  It was good news to read about a new push to remove gays from a total ban on blood donations...then I read this.  Progress is slow and on-going I suppose.

Too funny. Should we team up with the prostitutes and intravenous drug user to rally behind having this changed?
Honestly, I think I'd prefer a taxi driver wear protective gear before touching me. Not for their protection, but mine.

What I really found amusing is the memo states "Any clothing or evidence known to be contaminated with suspected AIDS, Hep B, other communicable disease will be place in specific area and labeled. The label will indicate, "Known AIDS,"..." It then goes on to say "all bloody clothing shall be considered contaminated."

If all bloody clothing is to be considered contaminated, as it should be, then what in the hell is the purpose of labeling it?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:16 am »
Technically, the LVTA have changed their policies - but only in 2007. The problem (aside from the fact that it took them until 2007 to change) is that they're still handing out the old handbooks. Presumably because they still have them in print and don't want to chuck them out.

While the TA approved a new policy manual in 2007 that removes the stigmatizing language, the agency continues to distribute the outdated version.

They should treat anyone using a taxi with universal precautions - if the situation warrants it. For example, if someone is bleeding, they should have latex gloves on-hand if they need to handle that person, just like any other police force does. But to put on a hazmat suit every time they pick up a prozzy or whatever is just OTT.

I can understand why bloody clothing would be labeled as such. The blood might be hidden in a fold or might not readily show up on dark colours. Last time I landed in the nick, there was fresh blood on my navy-blue coat and it didn't show up unless you looked closely in decent light.  The next morning when I collected my belongings, my coat was in a yellow hazardous waste plastic bag. Did it bother me? Did it fuck. I was glad to see they were using universal precautions, as they should.

Yes, that's right, I said the last  time I landed in the nick. I never said I was an angel! ;D I've only ever done over-nighters though, never did time. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:06:26 am »
In Australia, if you have had male to male sex in the past 12 months you are given a 12 month 'deferral' from giving blood. There are a number of other sexual reasons used for 'deferral' as well.

Oz Red Cross has lifted teh ghey ban? Good stuff. Improvements in pooled testing presumably.

If I'm reading the first quote correctly, they ban any man who has had sex with another man in the past twelve months.  That would exclude a pretty large percentage of gay men.  It's still better than banning any man who has ever slept with another man, ever, though. 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 12:02:12 pm »
If they have this question for gay men, then they probably should have it for straight black women, if we're going by statistics and all.  Of course, they'd never do that.

For once, we are in total agreement!
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline next2u

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 02:19:20 pm »
what is a nick?
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »
what is a nick?

Commonwealth slang (as a noun) for prison. As a verb it means "to be arrested".

As a noun it's always "the nick" not "a nick".

MtD

Offline Dennis

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 12:41:41 am »
I can understand why bloody clothing would be labeled as such. The blood might be hidden in a fold or might not readily show up on dark colours. Last time I landed in the nick, there was fresh blood on my navy-blue coat and it didn't show up unless you looked closely in decent light.  The next morning when I collected my belongings, my coat was in a yellow hazardous waste plastic bag. Did it bother me? Did it fuck. I was glad to see they were using universal precautions, as they should.

This makes sense...sorta. I just don't see any reason to give it a specific label (i.e. Known Aids, Hep B, etc). If there is blood on the clothing, just throw it in a biohazard waste bag.

Would you have felt differently if when you collected your clothes that they weren't just in a hazardous waste bag, but that bag also had a tag on it that said "known Aids?"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 11:06:40 am »

Would you have felt differently if when you collected your clothes that they weren't just in a hazardous waste bag, but that bag also had a tag on it that said "known Aids?"

I would have read them the riot act over the misuse of the term aids. It should have said hiv, no matter if I had an aids diagnosis or not.

And I also would have read them the riot act for not treating any bloody clothing as suspect. That's what they do over here and they just stick such clothing in a hazardous waste bag as supplied to hospitals and other public institutions. Simple.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline David_CA

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 03:27:17 pm »
Yes, that's right, I said the last  time I landed in the nick. I never said I was an angel! ;D I've only ever done over-nighters though, never did time. :)

The one time a quickie is better than something long-term, I suppose!   :)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 10:16:53 am »
source

Some New York lawmakers are calling for an end to a federal ban on blood donations by gay men.

U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner said Saturday that overturning the prohibition could save lives at times when the city's blood supplies run low.

The Food and Drug Administration prohibits men who have sex with men from donating blood, regardless of their HIV status. The ban was put in place in 1983. Weiner says it was implemented amid ignorance of how the virus is transmitted.

The Democrat says the policy doesn't make blood any safer.

On Thursday a group of 18 U.S. senators called for changes in the law, including New York Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.