Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:08:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 650
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 641
Total: 642

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Large, painful lymph node near armpit...please advise  (Read 12810 times)

Offline camille07

Large, painful lymph node near armpit...please advise
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:21:31 am »
Hi everyone,

I wanted some advice, because I'm really confused.  I had foot surgery 4 weeks ago. The pain was really bad, they had to break the foot and reset.  I was sleeping very little 2 or 3 hours a night and stressed out.  I got a cold sore and sinus infection.  I had a fever and chills. Getting around on crutches when your feverish and dizzy is difficult.  I was crying everyday.  The doctor put me on Augementin.  The first 2 days it worked and then it stopped.

Yesterday morning, I woke and reached over for my coffee and experienced a terrific pain on the side of armpit on the breast side.  I found a large lump that has appeared out of nowhere.  So I went to the doctors and a ancient  man appeared as a fill in.  He asked me if I had a mammo and I said, yup  7 months ago.  Then he checked out my breasts and said they felt fine (I'm sure) but wants me now to go for a ultra sound. 

He then drew blood.  He wants to check for lymphoma?  I did get my blood work a month ago, and everything was fine.  I'm on Truvada, Norvir and Reyataz. 

He told me that the swollen lymph node would be an infection/cancer and not related to my low resistence? 
I'm torn because anyone who has probably been a doctor to Lewis and Clark has probably lost his mind.  And I kid you not, I'm on crutches and move to a geriatric pace, and easily beat him to the nurse's desk.

He originally put me on Spectracef, but the CVS pharm didn't carry it.  So he ordered up Omnicef.

I'm confused that might have breast cancer or lymphoma? Is it even possible that my crutch could have affected the lymph node or is that a stretch?  Or can this be even an Hiv thing.  I'm worried now even more.

Thanks for any imput! 

Camms

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Large, painful lymph node near armpit...please advise
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:41:14 am »

Jeeesus Cam, some luck getting him as a fill in.  When will your regular doc be back replacing "Lewis and Clark"?  I would definitely want a second better opinion.  I do know crutch use can make the area rather sore.   What I'm wondering is if along with the sinus infection perhaps you've irritated a swollen lymph node with crutch use...

Does the area in question make contact with the crutch during use?

I hope you feel better...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline camille07

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:47:19 am »
Thanks!

My regular doc in on Tuesday.  And the crutch does target the area perfectly.  Do you think stress could be a factor?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:02:24 am »
Thanks!

My regular doc in on Tuesday.  And the crutch does target the area perfectly.  Do you think stress could be a factor?

I'm not really sure what you mean by stress, the mental kind, or simply just the area being stressed from crutch use?  Of course, if it's the mental kind, you're already under the weather from operation recovery, and on top of all this you get a sinus infection that leaves you feeling miserable it can all be factored in..

My own experience with crutches was a long painful one.  I tore my mcl and acl in my knee when I was 14.  The extended crutch use was painful.  If you've ever noticed, it's why you see folks tape towels and extra padding to the top of the crutches. 

Like I said earlier, it could be that you've irritated a swollen lymph node that may have gone unnoticed if not for the crutch use.

That would be my guess.  It would be best to play it safe though and contact your doc on Tuesday.

Please keep us updated Cam!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline camille07

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
I will definitely post an update!

Again, Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:59 am »
Cam, we see it happen all the bloody time over in the AM I forum where people are constantly checking, poking and prodding their lymph nodes and by doing so, they make them swell.

Now I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but I am saying that YES, the crutch could be the culprit if it's directly corresponding to the area where the node has come up. While with a head/chest type infection you'd be more likely to get swollen nodes in your neck, the ones in other areas of your upper body can also be involved. When they swell during an infection, it just means they're doing their job.

But if they're a bit swollen because they're doing their job and they're also getting outside, manual interference, they could very possibly swell more and become very sore.

Saying all that, it's never a bad idea to get one that is unusually sore and painful checked out, even if it most likely is due to concurrent infection and crutch use.

It sounds like they gave you the old, under-the-arm barbaric type of crutches instead of the new-fangled ones that hook onto your upper arm. What gives there?

Hope you're feeling better soon. That foot surgery sounds even worse than what Miss P recently had done, and much worse than what my daughter recently had done. What is it this autumn with foot surgeries?

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline camille07

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:34:01 am »
The frankenfoot experience has thrown me for a loop.  I thought I would be out and about with my mega boot a week afterwards.  But I was nestled into my couch with an influx of ice packs and vicodin es for the first 3 weeks.  I've watched ever bad a, b, and c film on netflix and Itunes, especially since reading was a bit difficult for  a while.

I'm sorry your daughter had surgery, along with  miss P.  I hope Miss P got a lot of good drugs  :)

What kind of surgery?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:01:03 am »
I'm not sure exactly all what Miss P had done, but I know he had 40-odd stitches and I think four of them are still in - after having surgery on Oct 17th. He was having problems with puss on Thanksgiving (and I hope that's resolved now). I don't think they had to break any bones though. I'm sure Miss P will be along shortly to explain it all to you in technicolour glory. ;)

My daughter had to have some glass removed from the ball of her right foot that had been embedded in there for over four years. It had shifted around and was threatening to sever a blood supply, nerve, and/or both.

She had to stay off work for three weeks and not put the slightest bit of weight on it. The upside was that she came home for one of those weeks and I got to baby her like I haven't been able to since she was little (she's 24 now). She only had to have ten stitches, compared to Miss P's 40. She's doing fine now and is back to work.

Sounds like you've been through the mill lately, Cam. Got my fingers crossed that this lymph thing is nothing more than an uncomfortable irritation. Keep us posted!

ps - Basquo also had to have foot surgery recently.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:08:18 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline camille07

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:37 am »
My goodness, the foot operations are certainly becoming a trend!

Even though the circumstances weren't great, I'm glad you were able to spend time with your daughter~

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:58:00 am »
I'm healing quickly and getting along quite well, but YOU Cams, my heart goes out to you! I know the crutches are a bitch but I look at it as a toning exercise. But it would be a clenching-my-arse exercise if I had a swollen lymph node in the mix. I can't believe that doctor said cancer. Unless he's a dog and can smell it in your skin he doesn't have a clue as to what it is. Get well soon!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »
So were your crutches type A...

or type B... ?

You never see anyone using type A here these days, unless it's a pair they already had or had in the family. They've fallen out of use precisely because of the type of problem you're having, Cam. Going by the other responses so far, type A is still in wide use in the US. I've used both types in my day and I can tell you that type B is MUCH more comfortable and easy to use. The only part that people on long-term use of them ever pad is the handle bit.

If you're using type A, see if you can't score yourself a pair of type B so you can give that lymph node a rest.

And yes, it was really nice to spend time with my daughter. I rarely get to see her these days - she's now a primary school (age 6-7) teacher over in the UK. Normally when she's home, she's out doing things with her mates, but this time she spent most of her time at home. We both enjoyed it immensely, and I was sorry to see her go back across. I'll see her again, briefly, at Christmas.

Basquo, glad to hear you're doing well. I agree with you, that doctor had no business mentioning cancer so early in the game. What a prat!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »
Hi Cam,

No advice here -- you've got a lot of variables at play. I wanted to say hi and hope you're feelin' better soon. I'm with Ann on the crutches switch -- nothing fun about the armpit masher style. What's great is you've not lost your sense of humor. Love the reference to the doc having treated Lewis and Clark. Hope you get some answers and relief on Tuesday.

Em

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 12:51:30 pm »
Hi Camms,

Sorry for what you are going through.

Event timeline (under treatment w good counts, hospitalised, operation, swollen lymphs nodes) and your doc prescription tend to shows his has conclude for a bacterial infection.

Positive energy and thoughts sent to you.

Hugs
John

Offline camille07

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 02:59:02 pm »
Ann, I have the Draconian crutches (picking A).   :-[  

I also found out that my cooler next to the couch (pick and pack) ice arrangement also has a contemporary/progressive version, compared to my outdated 200lbs of convenient store ice, preferably from the WaWa or Seven 11.  It's an ice machine that has a constant feed of ice to the needed area, and accessed through a prescription.  

I would have saved a lot of money with all the turkey and ziploc  bags needed for keeping the foot dry....lol!

Em-  thank you.  Hope you've been well.  And no advice, but a kind word is a good as a hug.

Basquo-  Glad that the recovery is going well.  Was it self inflicted, an infliction or cosmetic?  Whatever the case, hope you received the user friendly crutches.

John-  You summed it up nicely.  Thanks for the positive energy!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:03:41 pm by camille07 »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 04:23:38 pm »
My surgery was originally for a painful bunion and the resulting deformity, but there was also some type of cyst or tumor that popped up in the same region in the past year so I couldn't put the surgery off any longer. That part had to come out as well. He severed the foot bone, took a chunk out and screwed the cut ends back together. He did a similar maneuver on the toe bone, not quite going all the way through but taking out a wedge of the bone then fitting the new surfaces together and securing then with a staple. I had a similar operation almost 3 years ago, and although this one was more extensive I'm dealing with it much better and will probably return to work a little earlier than planned. I can even drive to get the mail now but any further and the pain starts bugging me. It'll be two weeks on Tuesday.

I'm using the Type A crutches and I really like them better. I like that I can actually kind of hang on them if I have to stand for a while, as I did when I was waiting for Curtis to drive me home from the doctor earlier this week. Other than leaning, though, the underarm part doesn't really touch my pits when I'm walking because I moved the handles up. That way when I straightarm for walking I'm not leaning on the crutches and my arms, wrists and hands have to bear the weight. That wasn't fun for the non-weightbearing part but it's really a snap now that I can put weight on the foot.

My ER gave me the crutches when I had a sprain 4 years ago, and I used them after my last surgery too. I just painted them gold for the holidays   8)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
You can actually lean on the type B crutches too - the cuff part will bend back so they're at a 90-degree-ish angle to the leg. The cuff goes around your forearm just below the elbow, so you can lean your elbow on them when standing around talking to someone. It's a lot more comfortable than being held up by your armpits.

They're also handy because if you need your hand free for a moment, you don't have to lean your crutch up against something and hope it doesn't fall over. The crutch will hang off your arm while you use your hand.

Like I said, you rarely see someone over here with type A crutches. Once you've used type B, you wouldn't go back to A. Trust your Annship. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 12:21:38 am »
May there never be a next time for me, but should there be, I'll give 'em a whirl. I think Cams would probably benefit greatly from them now. I do think that type A is irritating that lymph node.

Camille please let us know how things are going! And get well soon!

Offline camille07

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 04:44:01 pm »
Just a quick update:

They ruled out lymphoma....all  my blood work came back with normal  results.  So now I have to go for a left breast mammo and ultra sound in the same day.  Results with also be same day.  That's next Tuesday.  I'll definitely post the results!

;)

Camms

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 05:41:21 pm »
sweet  :D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 05:56:33 am »
Thanks for the update, Cam. It's good to know they ruled lymphoma out. Whew!

How's the lymph node now? I hope the swelling is going down and it's feeling better. Were you able to score some type B crutches?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline camille07

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 07:07:12 am »
I can't get the crutches because there's a problem (clerical) with my health insurance.  That is a huge can of worms right now!  It got so bad that I my pharmacy gave me a 3 day supply of my meds.

It's still bothersome and even though my doctor has me going for a battery of tests, I  have a peace about it  :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 08:45:02 am »
Wow, it's a shame you can't get a simple thing like better crutches because of hassles with your insurance company. Over here, you are issued with a pair of (type B) crutches free of charge from the hospital, ER or doctor's office (depending on where you are when the need arises) and they don't even hassle you to get them back. You can hand them back in where ever it is the most convenient for you because they still get back into the system. Most people do hand them back so it works very well for all concerned.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline camille07

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »
Good news all around!

Mammo and ultrasound produced a clean bill of health for my left breast and lymph node.  Yay!  I can finally breathe.

Anne, you'll be happy to know that I took my first steps today without the crutches or I mean crutch.  In fact, it's been a crutch free day all around!
By Friday I should be driving again  ;D

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

Many hugs,

Camms

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 06:02:00 am »
That's fantastic news, Cam! Way to go!

Um.... don't be such a stranger, ok?

Happy hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline camille07

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 06:16:37 am »
Ok! :)

I'm on here a lot more than you think, I read more posts than post myself.  I will certainly not be a stranger.

HUGS

Camms

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 06:22:45 am »

I'm on here a lot more than you think

Ah, I see; a Lurky Lou. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline camille07

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 06:30:47 am »
Let's say Looky lou.....lurky lou makes me feel like I'm wearing trench coach and seemingly creepy.  8)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 06:36:40 am »
Let's say Looky lou.....lurky lou makes me feel like I'm wearing trench coach and seemingly creepy.  8)

hehehehee... Looky Lou it is! :D

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.