Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:09:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 211
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The unprofessionalism of some people in the heatlh care field  (Read 11924 times)

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
I went to the infusion clinic this morning @ 11:00 AM. I was the only male in the clinic at the time. This old woman with crusty feet said to one of the nurses" Lori's excited now that there is a man in the room." I noticed that Lori turned around and made a limp wristed hand jesture and said mouthed something to the old lady. The old bitch laughed at whatever Lori said to her. Then Lori comes over to me andacts all  sweet and stuff in my face. I've dealt with this shit growing up gay all my life living in the south & I don't want to take it anymore. I almost said something to her about it but I have to remember she is the one sticking my arm with the iv and drawing blood every day. I don't want her to physically hurt me. It just hurt my feelings. How would you handle a stiuation like this? confront them? tell her supervisor?

Offline blondbeauty

Re: The unprofessionalism of some people in the heatlh care field
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 06:27:10 pm »
At least nobody told you you had HIV saying: "BINGO!"...I donīt know what would I do in your case...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 06:31:30 pm »
I'd tell her supervisor.  What a slag, sorry you had to put up with that crap Dan.

xx
Matt

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 06:34:39 pm »
Dan,

I guess it would go with my mood of the day. If not totally sure it concerned me, then would possibly had  made some kind of jokes for letting her know I understood what she ( possibly ) did. In these cases you see it in their faces right away.

In a shitty mood and absolutely certain, then she was in for several minutes of me giving her all the shits she deserved.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 06:38:46 pm »
i think I would have totally queened out and made a totally queenie scene of being friendly to her... 'oh hellooooooo dahling, so wonderfullllll to seeeeeee you againnnn '   *air kiss*  I've come to get my (very loudly) aids labwork done."

Doubt you'd see her do a repeat performance.

She wants a fag, she can have one is my thought on that....

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 06:40:21 pm »
Oh deffo, light up a Malborough there n then
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 06:47:15 pm »
sorry you had to encounter that

it's appalling when adults don't act like adults  :(

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 06:58:48 pm »
Dan...I'm sorry you have to put up with such "sexiest" behavior.  I dare say we are all the subject of conversation at times.  Of course being an attractive man makes you a target.  Some women (like some men) are animals...try not to let it get to ya, babycakes!  But if it really makes you that uncomfortable, I'd say something about it.  To the nurse.  Going over her head may in fact create some anamosity between you and the nurse.  And since she's the one "sticking" you.... ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 07:01:37 pm »
At least nobody told you you had HIV saying: "BINGO!"...I donīt know what would I do in your case...

I still can't believe that someone said that to you. Bingo..

Cut to her on her deck entertaining her middle-class friends..."Oh you have to be so careful when telling people they are HIV positive. I use the word Bingo or hand puppets."  Their friends slowly nod and say how compassionate she is before wetting themselves slowly.

Dan,

I agree with DingoBoi. When someone plays a stereotype with me I often play it up to embarrass them. You should have said, "Yes please hurry up, I need to go out and get some cock..."

They want it, give it too much.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline tnboy

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 07:05:36 pm »
Dan,

I can relate to how it made you feel and had something similar happen to me Friday when I went to a Dentist there in Jackson. Since I did not have the money to go to the dentist of my choice I called the CDC clinic to see if they could help. They told me that if I would be at the clinic Friday at 8:AM to fill out some paper work they could send me with a referral to a dentist there in Jackson that would pull my tooth. Before the dentist started work on me he asked if I had paid yet. I told him no, that I was sent on refferal from the CDC clinic. He said " What does that mean" before I could answer he said " oh you are one of those grant cases, never mind" . It was not what he said, but how he said it, that really made me feel bad. It was very unprofessional in my opinion.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 07:33:08 pm »
Dan,

Everyone has a superior that they have to answer to. I agree with Matt. Report her to the next higher up, either face to face, or through a letter, whatever your comfortable at. I would have confronted her about it, and let her know exactly how I felt, and let her try to push a needle through my vein !.

Ray

PS hope your doing better !!

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Teresa

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 07:45:11 pm »
Well thats just awful...i would have acted all concerned about her wrist being limp..telling her they had good wrist supports at Wallgreens.  Then tell her you knew that cause you saw them when u had to get a finger splint for your finger and hold up your middle finger to show her.

Some people are just ignorant.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 07:59:19 pm »
Dan,

I would not have acted up at all. That would be lowering you to her level. However I would have immediately asked to see her supervisor and I’d have file a complaint and refused to have her touch me.

Dam, it sounds like your living in a third world country. Fortunately I've never had to deal with this kind of sigma and bigotry in this part of the country. Plain and simple “her sorry ass would be out the door.”
You really don’t need that kind of crap, especially while so ill.

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 08:27:52 pm by Terry »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 08:03:56 pm »
Report her Dan...this is definately unacceptable, you don't have to put up with her Sh*t..and if this happens again refuse to let her do your tests and request another nurse...and then explain to them why.

Not only did she hurt you but she gave away personal information about you to another patient and that is wrong on so many levels.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 08:20:33 pm »
Not only did she hurt you but she gave away personal information about you to another patient and that is wrong on so many levels.

Hugs

Absolutely. There are rights you have. She broke the Hipaa rules !!
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 09:13:15 pm »
I know what you mean Dan.....in the South we get this kind of stuff all the time, don't we?

I overheard this old woman at my church awhile back saying "I don't mind these gays, as long as they don't expect equal rights."    I had to call on every ounce of self-control I possess to keep from going off on her.    I wanted to say "you sure don't mind sitting your fat ass in my car every Tuesday when I take you to lunch".

From a healthcare worker, that kind of behaviour is unacceptable.   I think you should report it to her boss.

Alan

PS - one time many years ago, when I was receiving home nursing care, a nurse came out to do I.V. therapy on me and did not wash her hands first.  As soon as she left, I phoned my doctor, and she was fired that same day.   I felt guilty about it for a long time.....(but I got over it!)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 10:02:10 pm »
Don't feel guilty if you decide to report her up!  Nurses are in super demand these days, and unless she fails a piss test she'll have a job the next day--plus she'll learn a lesson. Personally, I would write a letter, because you have to deal with that same staff until your treatment is done, but I'm just a Libra wuss.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 10:05:13 pm »
I would have punched Lori in the face... :-\

Mind you I just quit smoking today.... grrrrrrrrrr...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:12:35 pm by Eric »

Offline Eldon

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 10:25:26 pm »
I would have put her in here place and then call her supervisior.

Offline ademas

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 10:36:32 pm »
I would have called her on it, right there to her face.
"Excuse me, but I overheard what you were saying, and I saw the limp-wristed hand gesture, and it was not only mean, but also very unprofessional.  I've done nothing to you, and I am here for the services that you are being paid well to render, and I'm wondering what the problem is?  Is there someone I should speak with in order that it doesn't happen again?"
And I would say it calmly, but also loud enough for everyone in the waiting room to hear.
And then I would have reported it to my doctor and her supervisor.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:38:17 pm by ademas »

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 10:57:39 pm »
the incident woti Lori actually happened @ 1:00 ol'clock. The doc asked me if I could come back then. My infusion treatment only last 30 minutes.

The infusion "clinic" is a small room crammed with 7 infusion "stations" patients are all in one communal room. There is no privacy in that room whatsoever.  I had to whisper HIV to the nurse that was getting medical history info. The woman in the next chair heard everything. There is a computer with patient info in full public view.

I plan on talking to the doctor about Lori Wednesday.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 06:45:23 am »
Report her Dan...this is definately unacceptable, you don't have to put up with her Sh*t..and if this happens again refuse to let her do your tests and request another nurse...and then explain to them why.

Hugs

I totally agree with Jan 100%.

And what came to my mind first was... "how the hell was she so sure you are gay in the first place?" I reckon it's because you have hiv and that also is wrong on so many levels.

The whole departments needs to be reported. There should be a private area to give your details and the computer with patient detail should absolutely NOT be on public display.

I guess in a department where so many fundamental privacy rules are being broken, Lori's attitude isn't really a big surprise. I guess privacy and confidentiality isn't high on their priorities and this needs to change ASAP.

Good luck Dan.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bear60

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 08:30:07 am »
Its more a question of what is the line between doctors office humor/ and unprofessionalism.  We all know that humor for people in the health field is as important for them  as for the rest of us......its just...did this go over the boundary????
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 08:51:15 am »
Dan, that totally sucks, sorry you had to experience that.  It's hard to say how I would have reacted at the time because I think I may have reacted without much thought and when I do that I usually stumble through what I'm trying to say and that just makes me look like the idiot in the long run.  I always report unsatisfactory service or products but I tend to do that in writing rather than verbal just because I know I express myself better and writing.  Just as a sidenote I'd like to say that I also like to send complementary notes when I receive extraordinary service.

Hugs
Jeff

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 04:40:28 pm »
Is Lori a nurse?  Because there are Boards of Registered/Vocational Nursing in each and every state.

And they LIVE for shit like this, trust me.

Take care,
John

Offline Christine

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 05:00:26 pm »
I am so sorry you had to experience such vile behavior. I would have told my Doctor and Nurse coordinator, and the Patient Advocate Office at the hospital. I would also request that another nurse perform the IV therapy. Behavior like that is inexcusable and offensive.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 08:39:55 pm »
Depending on my mood I would have ....

1.  Let is slide.
2.  Opened my cell phone and pretended to call someone and tell them all about the bitch nurse that I was dealing with.
3.  Ask her to get her supervisor NOW!

Once, when I was in ICU and no one would answer my call bell, I grabbed my cell phone, called the main number, asked for the person in charge of the ICU and then threw a fit.  Amazingly enough, my call button was answered promptly after that.  And, let me just say, I do not abuse it but I had to use the restroom and needed help getting there since I had so many things attached to my body!!!
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.