Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:04:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 360
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV PEP - Missed Doses  (Read 10455 times)

Offline freedie

• Standard
HIV PEP - Missed Doses
« on: May 19, 2014, 03:29:23 pm »
Hi,

I had an unprotected Sex with an Indian SexWorker in Delhi, India. It was late in night so couldn't contact a doctor.
I went to pharmacy and purchased Truvada & Kaletra.
Within 7 hours I took my first dose of Kaletra at 2:00 am.
In Morning 6:00 am I had a flight & came in different country with language barrier.
Second Dose: 4 pm (Kaletra+Truvada)
I fell ill/sick and after that
Third, Fourth & Fifth Day I took only Truvada Only.
Sixth Day onwards I am taking 2 Kaletra & 1 Truvada.

Untill I realized PEP regimen is 1 Truvada and 2 Kaletra (Twice a day), makes it 4 Tabs a day.
Today is 10th Day.

1. Will it make sense to start 1 Truvada and 4 Kaletra a day or just 1 truvada & 2 Kaletra a day are sufficient?

2. Is there any test I can take up right now.
Pls. Advise.

Regards
Fred
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:31:24 pm by freedie »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV PEP - Missed Doses
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:32:33 pm »
Freedie, if by unprotected sex you mean intercourse, then yes, you were definitely at risk. You should not be self-proscribing. I suggest you see a doctor and discuss what you've done so far and how to proceed at this point.

Andy Velez

Offline freedie

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:58:30 pm »
Yes,

It was intercourse.
What are the chances from a woman to man ?
I'm in a country with language barriers.

Luckily I managed to get the medicine on time.
Standard PEP Regimen.

I'm worried about the missed doses.

Regards

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 02:04:00 pm »
Fred,

Nobody can estimate your chances of contracting HIV.  Same with any missed doses of PEP.  What you need to do is to complete your course of PEP, wait six weeks after you end PEP and test.  You can then test at 3 months, since stopping PEP to confirm the result.

Until you complete the PEP and test, six weeks later, there is no way to know your status before that time.

Joe

Offline freedie

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »
Agreed.

Which is why I'm scared.
I missed only kaletra.
Truvada I have taken everyday.

Hopefully it was better than missing both.
I wish  was not travelling that time.

Anyway!
Hopefully there is less risk.
I'll update post PEP

And thanks to this community.
You Guys are doing Noble Job.

May there be a cure of hiv/aids one day.
May that day come soon.

Amen!

Regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:24:00 am »
Freedie,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and it's more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man (receptive partner to insertive parter). You are unlikely to end up hiv positive from one instance of unprotected, insertive intercourse, PEP or no PEP.

In a low risk case like yours Truvada on its own is effective, so stop stressing out over your missed Kaletra doses. Just keep taking at least the Truvada until you have taken it for 28 days.

As Joe said, taking PEP increases your testing window by 28 days (four weeks, the amount of time you take PEP). This means that the earliest you should test is at six weeks post PEP. You can test again for a conclusive negative result at three months - twelve weeks - following your last dose of PEP.

You really should have been tested for hiv BEFORE initiating PEP as that is standard protocol. If you were already hiv positive before having unprotected intercourse with the sex worker, you could be setting yourself up for drug resistance. Just because you can buy these drugs without consulting a doctor doesn't mean it's a good idea or the right thing to do. You could be causing yourself serious harm going it alone.

If you actually were unknowingly hiv positive BEFORE this incident, you would still test positive on an antibody test even while taking PEP. (Poz people who are on treatment still test antibody positive.) This means you can still test to check if you were already poz.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline freedie

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:03:17 pm »
Thanks,

What tests will that be?

HIV 1 & 2 ANTIBODIES, SCREENING TEST with p24 Antigen
or
HIV 1 RNA QUANTITATIVE, REAL TIME PCR
or
HIV 1 & 2 ANTIBODIES, WESTERN BLOT

Will get tested tomorrow only?

Are there any tests for shorter duration after I complete my PEP then 6 week. If yes pls. tell me.

Regards
Fred

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
The standard antibody test is the correct one . You can test 6 weeks past any possible exposure and past pep and again at 3 months to confirm it . There are no shortcuts to testing and they MUST be confirmed at 3 months .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline freedie

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 02:42:55 pm »
first one?
 or something else?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 03:06:02 pm »

That one.

Will get tested tomorrow only?

Testing tomorrow will only tell you if you were already hiv positive before you started PEP - and at least six weeks before your recent unprotected intercourse with the sex worker.

The only reason you would need to test tomorrow is if you didn't have a rapid test before starting PEP. I'm assuming you did NOT have a rapid test before starting PEP because you did not see a doctor to get PEP, you took matters into your own hands and bought PEP at a pharmacy.

Standard protocol before putting a patient on PEP is to test them with a rapid test first, to make sure they're not unknowingly already hiv positive.

There are no short-cuts to hiv testing after a risk or after taking PEP. I've already given you the testing window period guidelines and so has Jeff.

DO NOT use PCR tests - any result from a PCR test must still be confirmed with standard antibody testing. PCR tests are NOT diagnostic tests.

Western Blot tests are only used to confirm a positive result on a standard antibody test. You do NOT need to test with a WB unless you test antibody positive. WB tests rule out false antibody positive results - which do happen from time to time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline freedie

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 06:21:44 am »
Hi i have got the results.

HIV 1 & 2 ANTIBODIES SCREENING TEST, SERUM  @
HIV 1 / 2 & P 24 COMBO TEST
(CMIA)
Index Value 0.09

Interpretation
 --------------------------------------------------------
| RESULT IN INDEX        |         REMARKS               |
|------------------------|-------------------------------|
|    < 1.00              |      Non Reactive             |
|------------------------|-------------------------------|
|    >= 1.00             |     Provisionally Reactive    |
 --------------------------------------------------------
Comments
Non  Reactive  result  implies  that  antibodies  to    HIV  1 /  2 have  not  been  detected  in  the  sample.This  means  the patient  has  either  not  been  exposed  to  HIV  1 /  2 infection  or  the    sample    has    been  tested  during  the  "window phase"  i.e.  before    the    development  of    detectable  levels of  antibodies.  Hence  a  Non  Reactive  result  does  not exclude the possibility of exposure or infection with  HIV 1 / 2.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 06:47:44 am »
Freedie,

Good news. Your results mean that you did NOT have hiv before you put yourself on PEP.

Now just keep taking at least the Truvada for whatever is left of the 28 days and you'll stay hiv negative. You can take the Kaletra as well, but make sure you definitely take one Truvada pill each day.

You're going to be just fine - provided you learn from this and stop having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with ANYONE until you're in a mutually monogamous relationship where you've BOTH tested hiv negative together.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline freedie

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 08:55:12 am »
The Only thing that haunts me is that I had two unprotected exposures of insertive vaginal in mid of april & last week of april.

So, it's sort of scary right now.

But, Yes I've learnt a lot.... If I come out of this safely  which I hope, wish & pray I will .... I'll repay the good luck to mankind by educating them & supporting them in whichever way I can.... Now I respect everything & everyone ....

I really Hope, Wish & Pray to GOD ... that there soon be a cure for those who are positive.... May there be soon.

Amen!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.