Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 04:44:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: developing bipolar with hiv?  (Read 5600 times)

Offline mitch777

developing bipolar with hiv?
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:20:12 pm »
OK, this is a little beyond my comfort zone, but i think that i am moderately bipolar.
I've been reading alot about it lately and the descriptions hit home much more than i had expected.
I took a few "online quizes" and tried to answer honestly.
scored faily high. (moderate+)
i know, a quiz online...
i also read the thread here and on other sights in regards to the possible link with hiv and bipolar.
just wonder if hiv could cause or aggravate being bipolar and it's symptoms.
it feels like it more and more to me these past several years.

mitch
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline zach

Re: developing bipolar with hiv?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:33 am »
my bipolar was present before teh aids, has gotten worse though

ptsd was new recently diagnosed for me

stress is something we have in excess

Offline Pricho01

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:37:07 am »
Hmmmmm interesting - I have just been through 2 psychiatric assessments and have been diagnosed with bi-polar.

Online tests can give you an indication (maybe) - but get yourself off to a psychiatrist to assess you appropriately.

Worse with HIV.... ? Dunno about that one. Comorbidity with other disorders/diseases such as drug dependance etc is statistically more prevalent with people diagnosed with bipolar I have just discovered... on a steep learning curve myself.

Risky behaviour associated with mania/hypomania (the high times) can lead to a higher chance of contracting STD's including our special bug HIV... thats about all I know at this stage.

All the best with your journey....

Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Sincerely, The Opportunist

Offline makhedha

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »
it's strange. i think i've always been on the bipolar spectrum (my lows are much much more pronounced than my highs) but it's gotten worse since the diagnosis. that's lead to a lot of problems (drinking, risky behavior etc) but now i've decided to see what i can really do about it.
have stopped the drinking (going to aa etc) and am going to give up smoking and other things. not so much esp with the smoking that it's a 'health issue' i just want to see what my mind is like without any outside mood altering influences so i can really assess, with professorial help, what's going on.
it's scary, though, i understand,

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:15:22 pm »
OK, this is a little beyond my comfort zone, but i think that i am moderately bipolar.
I've been reading alot about it lately and the descriptions hit home much more than i had expected.
I took a few "online quizes" and tried to answer honestly.
scored faily high. (moderate+)
i know, a quiz online...
i also read the thread here and on other sights in regards to the possible link with hiv and bipolar.
just wonder if hiv could cause or aggravate being bipolar and it's symptoms.
it feels like it more and more to me these past several years.

mitch

Do you have access to psychologist or psychiatrist who can evaluate you, using professional criteria?  I think these conditions as well as these diagnosis are very technical and nuanced.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:32:42 pm »
Do you have access to psychologist or psychiatrist who can evaluate you, using professional criteria?  I think these conditions as well as these diagnosis are very technical and nuanced.

i agree.
i am seeing a psychiatrist but have yet to bring this up.
also, i believe at the time of my original post i was probably dealing more with depression.
the correlation between hiv and bipolar does have some merit in any case and i would encourage anyone that believes that it may be an issue to seek professional help.
it was a big step for me to seek help but it has given me more stability in my daily life.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:55:39 am »
Well by all means discuss such fears or suspicions with your therapist.  Its ok to wander into self-diagnosis but we aren't trained to understand these things. A few times I have asked my therapist about this suspected issue or that one.  Sometimes the answer is a flat out "no, not at all", and a clarification.  A few times I have nailed something as yet un-addressed, and that has been good. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.